Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ohio state fair ride accident

cluey

these fair ride accidents are always bad. Very sad for the young lad who lost life and those badly injured...only one death here...

when i see these horrendous accidents now it always reminds me of the Battersea disaster,  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/battersea-park-big-dipper-disaster-in-1972-the-funfair-tragedy-the-nation-forgot-10302238.html%3famp

and there have been others. They call then accidents but are they more down to not being tested thoroughly because they wanted them open....not all did open that day, maybe this should have also been closed

Daniels, adding that four rides will not be operating because they do not meet the mechanical test.

Ride inspectors said the Fire Ball ride was inspected at a couple of different stages and was signed off on Wednesday.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/fair-ride-accident-one-dead-several-badly-injured-after-malfunction/news-story/6884124ca2683711c72261f262bca273

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

these fair ride accidents are always bad. Very sad for the young lad who lost life and those badly injured...only one death here..

Only one death so far. I was on scene last night for the 18 year old and by the looks of the car that detached, there may be more to come.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Only one death so far. I was on scene last night for the 18 year old and by the looks of the car that detached, there may be more to come.

yes there are some in critical condition. It is shocking that these " accidents" still happen today,

Theme park accidents: How fun days out turned to tragedy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/10/theme-park-accidents-fun-days-turned-tragedy/

there have been many "accidents" over the years. I know millions of people go on these rides, but there should be NO accidents due to faulty rides in todays day and age with all the H&S and past tragedies..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cluey said:

This is very bad........

Well of course it's bad Cluey. Unfortunately, these type of tragic accidents often happen with theme park rides around the world...and it's mostly to do with either neglect or poor maintenance.

You are also from Queensland right ?.....remember the 'Dreamworld' theme park tragedy that happened here late last year.

In fact I think you commented in the thread.

• Like 3

AAAWWWW....sweetie......i worked at Tiger Island 20 years ago at dreamworld.......i know....

6 minutes ago, cluey said:

AAAWWWW....sweetie......i worked at Tiger Island 20 years ago at dreamworld.......i know....

And your point is ? ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Not a scene I would want to see.
Question: The ride operator, did he/she seem competent to be running the ride or was it just another crackhead carnie? I know for a fact that the New York State Fair hires from local halfway houses etc for these rides to be assembled.

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

And your point is ? ....

Pretty sure she was responding to freetoroam
Sounds like someone needs a cup of coffee or a Snickers bar.... or maybe just a hug.  B)

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Astra. said:

And your point is ? ....

I created a thread that is relevant to every day news head lines.my having worked there 20 years ago for around 5 years ago was myself making a personal point on the joy i saw in people not only with the Bengal Tigers i could watch from my glass office all day,the dangers and high risk these rides at such theme parks are to maintain.The ride that unfortunate accident happened with was over 40 years old and myself,brother and friends had been on to many times to remember.Accidents happen.maintaining these rides are daily.they don't hire off the street people to run these rides.

Edited by cluey

Just sayin.. there is a difference between theme parks and carnivals. Theme parks have permanently built in rides. Carnivals have mobile rides that they set up an take down to travel to the next show.

• Like 4

here are some statistics..............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusement_park_accidents

Edited by cluey

9 minutes ago, rashore said:

Just sayin.. there is a difference between theme parks and carnivals. Theme parks have permanently built in rides. Carnivals have mobile rides that they set up an take down to travel to the next show.

Yup a missing bolt here a missing safety lock there maybe some bad wiring.  I got stuck on a ride once for 45 min nobody got hurt but it was damn uncomfortable.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

Yup a missing bolt here a missing safety lock there maybe some bad wiring.  I got stuck on a ride once for 45 min nobody got hurt but it was damn uncomfortable.   

You lucked out indeed. I remember a couple of them from when I was a kid of the Zipper and the Flying Bobs ride when people got hurt.. they were still my favorite rides though, lol.

Amusement parks and carnivals are definitely different. Even how the inspections are handled are different. Where an amusement park falls under some building regulations and inspections.. carnivals do not. Some states are really pretty loose with regulations, and don't require an inspection upon setup, some places are much tighter with inspections, especially at state fairs.

Not necessarily for you ST, but some informational articles about carnival rides for folks in general to enjoy....

Public records unearth dangers with carnival rides: http://www.spj.org/rrr.asp?ref=28&t=foia

Carnival Season: Just how safe are those rides?: http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/05/carnival_season_just_how_safe.html

And this great website, Amusement Safety Organization. It tracks all amusement ride accidents, both at amusement parks and with carnivals. It also tracks worker injuries and has a database of state agencies: http://amusementsafety.org/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

You lucked out indeed. I remember a couple of them from when I was a kid of the Zipper and the Flying Bobs ride when people got hurt.. they were still my favorite rides though, lol.

Amusement parks and carnivals are definitely different. Even how the inspections are handled are different. Where an amusement park falls under some building regulations and inspections.. carnivals do not. Some states are really pretty loose with regulations, and don't require an inspection upon setup, some places are much tighter with inspections, especially at state fairs.

Not necessarily for you ST, but some informational articles about carnival rides for folks in general to enjoy....

Public records unearth dangers with carnival rides: http://www.spj.org/rrr.asp?ref=28&t=foia

Carnival Season: Just how safe are those rides?: http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/05/carnival_season_just_how_safe.html

And this great website, Amusement Safety Organization. It tracks all amusement ride accidents, both at amusement parks and with carnivals. It also tracks worker injuries and has a database of state agencies: http://amusementsafety.org/

One of My friends worked as a "carny" for a few years back in the day, and he said he would never go on any of the rides.  I use to love the Zipper myself. The ride I got stuck on was called the ocean motion. It stuck in a near vertical position that left my head and arms dangling. The people on the other side of the ride probably out of nervousness were laughing at us as  they sat back and waited. I said keep it up I can spit on you and if you try to spit back it will fall back in your own face.  Sounds kinda funny now.  I got stuck on the ride at this park about a week before the accident. 

6 hours ago, BiffSplitkins said:

Not a scene I would want to see.
Question: The ride operator, did he/she seem competent to be running the ride or was it just another crackhead carnie? I know for a fact that the New York State Fair hires from local halfway houses etc for these rides to be assembled.

I'm not sure. I haven't actually been to the fair in over a decade and I when I was there last night it was mainly highway patrol (the academy is there and they make recruits work the fair) and BCI. Its probably still to early to speculate what the cause of the accident was.

the cause in general was mechanical failure, pretty clear from the video,. but what exactly was the reason is unknown yet, could be metal fatigue, or  a crack, or some one did not pay attention to bolt\nut marking and used wrong grade bolts.  

Got stuck at the top of a giant ferris wheel with rotating cars for about 15-20 mins. That was enough.

Edited by WoIverine

5 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

I have no problem to drive with a car/motorbike at 300km/h, having a pulse rate of <85. But I would never, ever take a ride on such fair rides. Its not because I dont trust the constructors skills, its because I dont trust in the skills of the low paid people who assemble and operate them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, toast said:

I have no problem to drive with a car/motorbike at 300km/h, having a pulse rate of <85. But I would never, ever take a ride on such fair rides. Its not because I dont trust the constructors skills, its because I dont trust in the skills of the low paid people who assemble and operate them.

I agree with the last part but I have to say I have never traveled 300 kph on a bike or a car.  Death on wheels man, that's a death sentence.  Not that I don't speed from time to time but wow. The max speed here is 120 kph. I do about 130 

9 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

One of My friends worked as a "carny" for a few years back in the day, and he said he would never go on any of the rides.  I use to love the Zipper myself. The ride I got stuck on was called the ocean motion. It stuck in a near vertical position that left my head and arms dangling. The people on the other side of the ride probably out of nervousness were laughing at us as  they sat back and waited. I said keep it up I can spit on you and if you try to spit back it will fall back in your own face.  Sounds kinda funny now.  I got stuck on the ride at this park about a week before the accident. 

*Hugs*

I never go any "big rides" because I just don't like them. I rather ride a kiddie roller coaster then a loopy one. Plus I heard reports about a particular coaster at Kings Dominion. I think it was a new ride at the time? They kept having accidents and I never got on it or any other ride like it. They were too scary for me and still are. I'll stick to rides that KIDS can go on with older people. 

32 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

*Hugs*

I never go any "big rides" because I just don't like them. I rather ride a kiddie roller coaster then a loopy one. Plus I heard reports about a particular coaster at Kings Dominion. I think it was a new ride at the time? They kept having accidents and I never got on it or any other ride like it. They were too scary for me and still are. I'll stick to rides that KIDS can go on with older people. 

Well I'm a bit scared of heights as of late so ya I stick to things closer to the ground like horses and motorbikes ok that doesn't sound safe either anyone up for a game of spin the bottle lol 

The ride operators job is to stop a ride if there is a slight problem even.they then contact their superior to get an engineer to close the ride and run tests to ensure it is safe before re opening it.In the case of that Dreamworld accident....it was closed at 10am for over an hour....the deaths happened at 2pm.One of the biggest problems that any theme park has.....either a mobile carnival or not....is that people complain when a ride is closed for maintenace and demand their money back when they don't have to pay after entering the park.So they try their best to get ride up and running asap........most legit places keep a ride closed for as long as it takes.

• Like 1

If the breaks on my car don't work and the shop say's it will take six hours I don't push them.  However ya these guys at a carnival or otherwise are under pressure to get things moving. That's a recipe for a mistake. 

• Like 2

Looking at all the oxidization at the break point, my guess is that this ride was not inspected very well. 

Fireball.jpg.95243aa401c9730fc3a44554aaf9cd8a.jpg

• Like 2