Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Easiest way YOU can find exoplanets from home

alfa015

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alfa015

• rashore

• Frank_Hoenedge

Have you already tried it? If so, what has your experience been with this? If not, why not?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rashore said:

Have you already tried it? If so, what has your experience been with this? If not, why not?

Yes, I have tried it. My experience is good. It's more easy to easy to use than planet hunters.

I prefer your setup, I had a thing on Microsoft Research WWT where I found a few uncatalogued stars (lol) near Draco. After plugging them in to Aladdin they were cataloged and I lost interest.

The prospect of credit in your setup is gold dust <3

2 hours ago, Frank_Hoenedge said:

I prefer your setup, I had a thing on Microsoft Research WWT where I found a few uncatalogued stars (lol) near Draco. After plugging them in to Aladdin they were cataloged and I lost interest.

The prospect of credit in your setup is gold dust <3

thanks!

2 hours ago, alfa015 said:

Yes, I have tried it. My experience is good. It's more easy to easy to use than planet hunters.

So what is it? A computer thing, or something else? Not everyone is willing or able to blind click on youtube vids, so if you could explain what it is here that would be great. What made the experience good?

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

So what is it? A computer thing, or something else? Not everyone is willing or able to blind click on youtube vids, so if you could explain what it is here that would be great. What made the experience good?

It is an online website, a project from zooniverse (the creators of another project called planet hunters)

The experience is good because anybody can find an exoplanet by doing 3 clicks with the mouse.

1 minute ago, alfa015 said:

It is an online website, a project from zooniverse (the creators of another project called planet hunters)

The experience is good because anybody can find an exoplanet by doing 3 clicks with the mouse.

So what does it do? Hook your computer up with observatories or something?

Just now, rashore said:

So what does it do? Hook your computer up with observatories or something?

As far as i'm concerned.. nop, the website just shows thousands of different light curves and the user just have to look for exoplanets in them.

1 minute ago, alfa015 said:

As far as i'm concerned.. nop, the website just shows thousands of different light curves and the user just have to look for exoplanets in them.

Where do the light curves come from? What are they?

12 hours ago, rashore said:

Where do the light curves come from? What are they?

light curves, which come from the kepler telescope, show the light issued by different stars and users have to look for transits (dips in the light) caused when exoplanets pass between the earth and the stars

sorry for my bad explanation, i think in the video i explain it better because i point to the lights curves while i'm speaking and i also show different graphs

regards.