Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First human embryos edited in the US

Claire.

First Human Embryos Edited in the U.S., Scientists Say

In a step that some of the nation’s leading scientists have long warned against and that has never before been accomplished, biologists in Oregon have edited the DNA of viable human embryos efficiently and apparently with few mistakes, according to a report in Technology Review.

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 3

Crispr technology has been  around for a while.  Compared to other methods it seems simple and cheap.  I first heard about it on a Radio Lab podcast a couple of years ago.  They also talked about some of the ethical questions we will have to deal with as the technology matures.  At this point, they want to repair genetic disease but not allow enhancements like increased intelligence.  Crispr works on all kinds of organisms, not just humans.  One fear is a Crispr manipulated bacterium that might be weaponized as a super plague.  Interesting future.

• Like 2

Very interesting, this has always fascinated me, cloning, stem cells, genetic engineering etc... Is it ethical Idk i would say yes if you knew you could remove certain diseases but as far as genetic enhancement i would say no.  Everyone deserves a fair chance and this could lead to those without enough money to get it done for their children a life without opportunity for the un-enhanced.

• Like 2

Technically there need not be consent or knowledge ... ethically, well that's another bin of sin I guess ...

~

~

Eggs made from skin cells in lab could herald end of infertility | New ...

Oct 17, 2016 - Fertile eggs have been created from mouse skin cells for the first time, raising ... 2014 Immature human eggs grown from stem cells in the lab.

~

First working eggs made from stem cells points to fertility breakthrough

theconversation.com/first-working-eggs-made-from-stem-cells-points-to-fertility-brea...
Oct 17, 2016 - First working eggs made from stem cells points to fertility breakthrough ... this study have clear implications for the treatment of human infertility.

~
What are the potential uses of human stem cells and the obstacles that must be ... Most embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos that develop from eggs ...

~

Babies created 'WITHOUT sperm or eggs' could be reality as scientists ...

Mar 3, 2017 - They currently have to develop human embryos from eggs donated through ... Embryonic stem cells develop into the different types of cell that ...

~

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 11:30 PM, Sendall said:

Very interesting, this has always fascinated me, cloning, stem cells, genetic engineering etc... Is it ethical Idk i would say yes if you knew you could remove certain diseases but as far as genetic enhancement i would say no.  Everyone deserves a fair chance and this could lead to those without enough money to get it done for their children a life without opportunity for the un-enhanced.

They have made movies about this.  What if the technology were cheap enough to enhance everybody?   How much of our health care budget could be diverted to this cause if many diseases were eradicated?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

They have made movies about this.  What if the technology were cheap enough to enhance everybody?   How much of our health care budget could be diverted to this cause if many diseases were eradicated?

Somehow I'm not that optimistic to that extent that I am willing to believe that this form of 'breakthroughs' will not bring along with it other forms of complications or diseases thus far unknown into the equation ...

~

• Like 1

Human embryo editing breakthrough is a ‘major advance’ towards controversial treatments for babies

The treatment could help rid babies of genetic diseases. But the ethical and legal considerations need urgent work, experts have warned

A landmark study suggests that scientists could soon edit out genetic mutations to prevent babies being born with diseases. The technique could eventually let doctors remove inherited conditions from embryos before they go on to become a child.

That, in turn, opens the possibility for inherited diseases to be wiped out entirely, according to doctors. But experts have warned that urgent work is needed to answer the ethical and legal questions surrounding the work

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/human-embryo-editing-crispr-9-baby-treatment-advance-paediatrics-designer-babies-a7873746.html

• Like 3

A similar story was recently posted at UM.  Good is always predicted to come from such breakthroughs.

While I suspect their successes exaggerated, the ways whereby new technologies are likely to be abused

are ordinarily neglected or trivialized.  

Historically, persons bent upon mastering the human race weren't fit to standardize any super race.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

On 1 August 2017 at 2:31 PM, third_eye said:

Somehow I'm not that optimistic to that extent that I am willing to believe that this form of 'breakthroughs' will not bring along with it other forms of complications or diseases thus far unknown into the equation ...

~

...its all about trial and error. The process as i understand it is simple and cheap enough to be replicated continuously so expect great things to come of CRISPR in the years to come. Off target edits which i think is what you're referring to, will need to be solved first. 

• Like 1

On 1 August 2017 at 2:20 PM, Tatetopa said:

it would revolutionise health care. Imagine getting treated before getting sick.