Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Proxima b have extraterrestrial life?

alfa015

alfa... could you please not blind post youtube vids? Not everyone is willing or able to watch youtube vids, and blind posting isn't really discussing anything.

Tell us here in your own words what is this analysis, what is it about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rashore said:

alfa... could you please not blind post youtube vids? Not everyone is willing or able to watch youtube vids, and blind posting isn't really discussing anything.

Indeed. I never open youtube videos anymore, except when posted by a select few posters. But especially youtube videos without an explanation is a huge no no for me. 

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 4

12 hours ago, rashore said:

aww alright sorry, didn't realize some people don't want to enter youtube

i'm gonna embed it then, if that's okay

8 hours ago, alfa015 said:

sorry how can  i embed a youtube video?

9 hours ago, alfa015 said:

sorry how can  i embed a youtube video?

Can you just summarize your thoughts here for the benefit of all any keypoint you want to discuss? 

• Like 2

I do not wish to be overly discouraging, but must consider some facts: Proxima Centauri is a flare star, and the planet is apparently lashed with radiation and particle streams 2000 times stronger than those experienced by Earth. Doesn't this make it an unlikely abode of life? 

A magnetic field 2000 times stronger than Earth's, or an atmosphere 2000 times more resistant to stellar disruption seems unlikely. Much short of that, and it appears that the planet's atmosphere would have been eroded away long ago.  

This seems to be what happened to Mars, in a regime of much less powerful stellar erosion of its atmosphere, combined with Mars' presumably somewhat weaker gravitational hold on its atmosphere.

Edited by bison

I personally think that people who are unwilling to watch a short 3 minute video, probably shouldn't ask for him to post the script. Its really not much time of your day and if you don't have five minutes (some to watch and some to reply), your feedback probably wouldn't be that useful. Now that is out of the way:

Hey Mate,

I will say straight away that you have a thick accent, so having the Closed Captions was a good idea. The good news though is that your accent is not so thick that you're difficult to understand, at least I don't think so. Regarding the topic, it seems possible however how you present the data needs work. While its interesting to me, I know that I am a nerd. If you want to make your videos more appealing to the average viewer, rather than talking about the gravity and such in relation to if there is life. You should talk about the possibility of life... within the aforementioned conditions.

For Example: Rather than saying the planet has longer days and giving weather details, you could talk about how those situations would shape or influence the growth of life IF it did exist.

Keep up the effort and good luck!

13 minutes ago, Reilly. said:

I personally think that people who are unwilling to watch a short 3 minute video, probably shouldn't ask for him to post the script. Its really not much time of your day and if you don't have five minutes (some to watch and some to reply), your feedback probably wouldn't be that useful. Now that is out of the way:

Hey Mate,

I will say straight away that you have a thick accent, so having the Closed Captions was a good idea. The good news though is that your accent is not so thick that you're difficult to understand, at least I don't think so. Regarding the topic, it seems possible however how you present the data needs work. While its interesting to me, I know that I am a nerd. If you want to make your videos more appealing to the average viewer, rather than talking about the gravity and such in relation to if there is life. You should talk about the possibility of life... within the aforementioned conditions.

For Example: Rather than saying the planet has longer days and giving weather details, you could talk about how those situations would shape or influence the growth of life IF it did exist.

Keep up the effort and good luck!

For some folks, it's not a matter of unwillingness to watch or spend the time itself for the video. Some folks are on restricted access with how much video they can upload, or how long it takes to upload it if on slower servers. Or are on public access like at libraries and have to pay for their minutes, literally, and would appreciate some explanation for a blind link to know what it's about before spending the minutes. Or just like something more than a blind link post and run before opening links in general.

• Like 3

Some workplaces/offices do block all sites they consider as "waste of time" - youtube/facebook/twitter etc.

A company i had worked earlier for had such  policy. Only essential sites such as google search was accessible.

So, instead of posting a video, why doesn't the OP summarize in words all that he/she wants to state? simple.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CeresExpo2000 said:

Yes, there are friendly/positive ETs in that star system.

They have blue skin.

Sure.

• Like 1