Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Back-Leggers

Reilly.

Hey Folks,

A few years ago my little brother was getting Coke (the soft drink) from their regular guy and he showed up with a damaged truck, covered in blood, and this story about this bipedal creature with backwards bending legs that had tried to run him off the road, only to be pulled under the back wheel. I've mentioned the story before. I've heard the whole "Why didnt they take blood samples instead of washing down the truck, etc." its been discussed here before. But to this day, he is 100% convinced the man was telling the truth and since then I've heard more and more stories about these critters with backwards bending legs... but other than "Dog-Man" which I dont think is apt, I've never heard anyone coin a name for them?

Does anyone know if they have a specific name for these Cryptids?

Anyone know any other stories about them?

• Like 1

You have a guy to deliver you coke? I usually get it at the supermarket.

I think these creatures are called kangaroos.

• Like 1

My little brother runs a tattoo parlor and the guy delivers coke, they sell it there. But nah, it was described as running and roos can't do that.

The idea of a backwards bending leg  comes from looking at the ankle joint rather than the knee joint. Although mammals all follow the same basic limb plan the length of the bones between joints can give the mammals different appearances in their movements.

http://earthlife.net/mammals/locomotion.html

http://earthlife.net/mammals/skeleton.html

• Like 2

Search the old threads, there was a thread here about something like that seen in Ohio a couple year back, I think there was a crude drawing if I am not mistaken.

Also sounds like the monster from an obscure science fiction film called "Xtro" there is actually a scene where a car drives past it very close.

• Like 2

Well, emus are bipedal with legs like that. He didn't find any feathers did he? And they look pretty stupid when they run. Maybe an ostrich? Or even a camel (yes I know camels have four legs :rofl:), Australia does have the largest feral camel population in the world, and depending on the scenario, could look bipedal.

Can you post the original thread? I'm guessing there was more of a description of the event there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Timonthy said:

Well, emus are bipedal with legs like that. He didn't find any feathers did he? And they look pretty stupid when they run. Maybe an ostrich? Or even a camel (yes I know camels have four legs :rofl:), Australia does have the largest feral camel population in the world, and depending on the scenario, could look bipedal.

Can you post the original thread? I'm guessing there was more of a description of the event there. 

Emu's aren't local to the area, neither are camels. We don't have ostrich here. But Cassowary is a possibility. Except, he said that it was covered in fur and supposedly had arms and claws, since it scratched up the canvas on the back of the trailer. But yeah, not really looking to prove it or anything. Its literally a second-hand story but I was just cuious if there was a name for them. I couldn't post the old thread, it would have been 5+ years ago and on an old account I no longer use because I don't have that e-mail.

Search the old threads, there was a thread here about something like that seen in Ohio a couple year back, I think there was a crude drawing if I am not mistaken.

I have no idea what I'd be looking for, plus I should be sleeping. But if you or someone else can recall and link it or other cases like it, I'd love to look into it in the morning.

• Like 2

Oh that's why I couldn't find the thread then! I was just interested in looking to see what's native to the area and if there were any reports.

Plenty of ostrich farms around, although maybe not in the area.

Rough date/time of day/location would be handy?

Yeah almost 3am, I should be asleep too!

Edit: Oh and there is at least still an ostrich farm in the Mareeba/Speewah area apparently. I found this from a year ago today, funny coincidence: 'As the officers set up a Lidar speed detection site they were given the fright of their life after the dark coloured ‘shrub’ positioned a short distance away, sprang to life.' https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/farnorth/2016/07/29/well-ill-plucked/ 

So it looks like there's an ostrich farm there on the Kennedy highway, for what it's worth, and they do look pretty weird.

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

If the truck ran over it was there a body?

Edited by Rlyeh

9 hours ago, Reilly. said:

Hey Folks,

A few years ago my little brother was getting Coke (the soft drink) from their regular guy and he showed up with a damaged truck, covered in blood, and this story about this bipedal creature with backwards bending legs that had tried to run him off the road, only to be pulled under the back wheel. I've mentioned the story before. I've heard the whole "Why didnt they take blood samples instead of washing down the truck, etc." its been discussed here before. But to this day, he is 100% convinced the man was telling the truth and since then I've heard more and more stories about these critters with backwards bending legs... but other than "Dog-Man" which I dont think is apt, I've never heard anyone coin a name for them?

Does anyone know if they have a specific name for these Cryptids?

Anyone know any other stories about them?

It's hard for me to picture what this would have looked like from the description given. Search the internet as there are websites with a whole catalogue of cryptids. If you find something, let us know.

12 hours ago, stereologist said:

The idea of a backwards bending leg  comes from looking at the ankle joint rather than the knee joint. Although mammals all follow the same basic limb plan the length of the bones between joints can give the mammals different appearances in their movements.

http://earthlife.net/mammals/locomotion.html

http://earthlife.net/mammals/skeleton.html

I didn't know that...something learnt

Thanx 

12 hours ago, Timonthy said:

Oh that's why I couldn't find the thread then! I was just interested in looking to see what's native to the area and if there were any reports.

Plenty of ostrich farms around, although maybe not in the area.

Rough date/time of day/location would be handy?

Yeah almost 3am, I should be asleep too!

Edit: Oh and there is at least still an ostrich farm in the Mareeba/Speewah area apparently. I found this from a year ago today, funny coincidence: 'As the officers set up a Lidar speed detection site they were given the fright of their life after the dark coloured ‘shrub’ positioned a short distance away, sprang to life.' https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/farnorth/2016/07/29/well-ill-plucked/ 

So it looks like there's an ostrich farm there on the Kennedy highway, for what it's worth, and they do look pretty weird.

I am in rural NSW, it supposedly happened alone the back roads out by the sheep paddocks. I don't want to type up the whole thing, I have to finish writing a comic book by 7pm today. So just don't have the time or mental energy for it currently. But no ostriches near here. To answer the question about the body, maybe I don't know.  Never went to check, only found out like a week after it had happened when my brother was telling us about it at a family get together. He's not really into this kind of thing so him and his old boss at the time just calmed the dude down and helped him hose down the back of the truck where all the blood and (literal crap) was.

Short Version: Dude driving by about 3:45-4:15am. He notices a guy standing out in the paddock among the sheep. He thinks its a bit odd that there is a farmer out there this early since the sun isn't up and its so cold. So he slows down and watches him drive by, giving him a wave. But the guy doesn't wave, just stands there. Then as he starts to pass he notices its not a person. "Its a hairy looking thing" (Like an ape?) "Nah man, different but it was standing up like a person" and then it starts running across the paddock to his truck. But when it runs it makes this bobbing movement and when it gets clear of the sheep (which, oddly, seemed did not seem scared) he could see its legs were bending the wrong way and it had this creepy bobbing run. He sped up and it ran along the side of the road (not onto the road) then scratched at the canvas on the back of the trailer, tearing it. Then he got scared and sped up more and it got sucked under the back two wheels on the trailer. And he "Booked it to town as fast as he could." He was pretty shaken up as the story goes.

Anyway, I've used up my lunch break. Just wanted to know if these things have a common cryptid name other than "Dog man."

• Like 2

OKay I found the old Ohio creature old thread, nothing will blow your mind but it is kind of funny/weird, drawing looks like a walking drumstick:lol: the whole thread is a little chuckle-inducing. Funnily enough some of the suggested explanations there are also ostrich and kangaroo, as you will find such animals on US farms and animal sanctuaries on occasion.

• Like 2

Just a side note: Emus definitely occupy a large area of rural NSW. Also there are definitely ostrich and emu farms in NSW.

But I'm pretty sure there are only cassowaries in far north QLD, nothing I've ever read says they're in or even close to NSW.

The only possibility would be if one escaped a nature park. However they are slow to reproduce, have long parenting times and a low survival rate for the young, so even if a mating pair were released, they wouldn't last long at all.

Now I guess the only 'known' Australian cryptids to match the description could be the Bunyip or the Yowie. But they are more from folklore and mythology than sightings, and descriptions vary greatly. Then there's the Drop Bear, but that's more something to scare tourists.