Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The mystery of Gobbler's Rock

Magikman

NASHVILLE, Ind. -- Rocks and trees are natural sights in the forest.

But there's definitely something unnatural going on in Yellowwood State Forest.

Somehow, large boulders have found their way to the tops of tall trees and gotten wedged among the branches. There are at least three, maybe five, maybe more.

The first was discovered a few years ago and was dubbed Gobbler's Rock, because it was found by a turkey hunter scouting in a remote area of the 23,000-acre forest.

Since then, curious hikers have worn a path to the 80-foot-tall chestnut oak tree. High in a fork in its branches, nearly 30 feet off the ground, a massive slab of sandstone is nestled. The triangular rock, perhaps 4 feet wide and a foot thick, is estimated to weigh about 400 pounds.

user posted image View: Full Article

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• Loonboy

• Kismit

• Bizarro

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

someone put them there. just a matter of a few pulleys and a little time to kill. if the rocks weighed over a ton it would be a different story, but 400lbs is hardly impossible for a small group of people to move around.

i know when i was a kid, we would build "skyways" in the tree tops with planks and ropes. we made a nice little ewok village that wouldve creeped people out if they stumbled onto it.

Only one question . Why would somebody put a rock up a tree in such a remote place ?

Perhaps Michael Jackson had them put there so he can put his baby up there cause he misunderstood the rhyme "Rock a by Baby on the tree top"??? tongue.gif

pretty weird, why in the world would someone do that? for what, i dont get it. but good topic. i hadnt heard of any of this before.

LB,

Click on the link, there is a picture included with the article.

cool.gif

Well d'uh!! I guess I didn't wait for the page to load fully on my very slow internet

connection.

It looks like the Africa stone used by competitors in the World's Strongest Man...