Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sharing optical illusions

Ozfactor

I saw this optical illusion, find the black dot, on my facebook today and I have always enjoyed optical illusions and thought it would be interesting to see some others if anyone wants to share some x

20375874_838820399604307_6052178575004387934_n.jpg

• Like 7

That's a great visual illusion Ozfactor, I can see the black dot everywhere in the other white-dot intersections except the one that I am directly looking at!

The visual illusion that I am fascinated by is the Visual Reorientation Illusion (VRI) because you are actually within it when it happens!

It's when you see your whole world around you flipped in a different direction than how you normally see it.

You can see everything flipped around 90 or 180 degrees from your normal viewpoint and it's really cool. :) 

Sometimes when you come up from a subway or out from a movie theater, you find everything has got "turned around".

Then everything "flips back to normal" and you know exactly where you are again.

VRI diagram.jpg

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to sharihttp://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/310380-sharing-optical-illusions/ng optical illusions
15 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

I saw this optical illusion, find the black dot, on my facebook today and I have always enjoyed optical illusions and thought it would be interesting to see some others if anyone wants to share some x

Yep, that'll mess you up for hours.

• Like 2

If you are clever enough you can make the trains change directions. If you are really smart you can make one come and one go.

6420023_orig.gif

• Like 7

I thought this was a gif at first but no...

2758601_orig.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Hugh said:

That's a great visual illusion Ozfactor, I can see the black dot everywhere in the other white-dot intersections except the one that I am directly looking at!

The visual illusion that I am fascinated by is the Visual Reorientation Illusion (VRI) because you are actually within it when it happens!

It's when you see your whole world around you flipped in a different direction than how you normally see it.

You can see everything flipped around 90 or 180 degrees from your normal viewpoint and it's really cool. :) 

Sometimes when you come up from a subway or out from a movie theater, you find everything has got "turned around".

Then everything "flips back to normal" and you know exactly where you are again.

VRI diagram.jpg

I think I experience this sometimes when I wake up and it is dark ,I think I am laying in the wrong direction and the room is not right and I am trying to think where the door and windows should be in relation to me before I realise that I am laying in the right position and the room adjusts to my position, is it this illusion ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

I think I experience this sometimes when I wake up and it is dark ,I think I am laying in the wrong direction and the room is not right and I am trying to think where the door and windows should be in relation to me before I realise that I am laying in the right position and the room adjusts to my position, is it this illusion ?

Yes, this is one of the ways that people experience this phenomenon, when they first wake up!

It has often happened to me this way as well. You think that the room is in a position that you are used to, but it isn't, it is "turned around" from how you normally see it.

Then all of the sudden, it "flips back to normal" and you know where everything is again, the door, window, etc.

I find it so cool that you can actually see a room around you in another position.

It's like being in a parallel universe or something!

There are many who have developed this ability and are able to flip their room around to the four different possible positions just by using their mind.

I've got a Youtube channel and a Facebook Group about VRIs, and a few threads on this forum about them too if you want to read more about them. :) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hugh said:

Yes, this is one of the ways that people experience this phenomenon, when they first wake up!

It has often happened to me this way as well. You think that the room is in a position that you are used to, but it isn't, it is "turned around" from how you normally see it.

Then all of the sudden, it "flips back to normal" and you know where everything is again, the door, window, etc.

I find it so cool that you can actually see a room around you in another position.

It's like being in a parallel universe or something!

There are many who have developed this ability and are able to flip their room around to the four different possible positions just by using their mind.

I've got a Youtube channel and a Facebook Group about VRIs, and a few threads on this forum about them too if you want to read more about them. :) 

I think I must experience this illusion often. As well as experiencing it sometimes when I wake up , I also paint , I love watercolour and I can put myself into the painting and see it from different perspectives as I am painting, like I am lost in it and looking at it from within, from different perspective points, not looking down on it from above, as I am actually doing as I paint .  I will have to start trying to do it in my every day life .   what a buzz :) 

and thank you , I will certainly look those sites up 

Edited by Ozfactor
  • Like 2

That's awesome Ozfactor! Yes, I can see things from within a scene too and flip it around to a different perspective as well. It's fun. :) 

• Like 1

By far my favorite is this one, as it is such a simple and brilliant demonstration of how easily your perception can be 'tricked':

220px-Grey_square_optical_illusion.svg.p

Squares A and B are exactly the same shade of grey.

Image is by courtesy of Edward H Adelson, free to copy.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

By far my favorite is this one, as it is such a simple and brilliant demonstration of how easily your perception can be 'tricked':

220px-Grey_square_optical_illusion.svg.p

Squares A and B are exactly the same shade of grey.

Image is by courtesy of Edward H Adelson, free to copy.

I copied it and pasted square A on B and the color is the same. I had no doubt, it just it is a tricky one!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, khol said:

Illusionary photography can be quite cool..

Unbelieavable-Photograph-Optical-Illusion.jpg

Sorry for the buzzkill, but it looks like this was photoshopped after being taken to get the intended result. 

And not really optical illusions, but does anyone remember these books: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Eye

Fond childhood memories!

Edited by Timonthy
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I copied it and pasted square A on B and the color is the same. I had no doubt, it just it is a tricky one!

Yes I've done that too and it blows my mind to realize that they are the same! Great one ChrLzs. :tu:

I still have a couple of magic eye books somewhere.  I find those easy to do.  Managed to make the trains go different ways too!  As to the OP illusion I found the black dot always within a white one, always for a nanosecond, and moved about depending on where I looked.  I don't think I have experienced a room in a different orientation.  Just wake up sometimes and feel I am lying at a certain angle in relation to my bed but once eyes open I find I am actually at a slightly different angle.  It's a weird world.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's a tricky one (or at least I found it tricky!)

There are 16 circles in this picture. Some will see them, some won't.

3W2Yn31.jpg

• Like 4

That's a nice one - hadn't seen it before..  

• Like 1

Nice one Stiff! It seems impossible to have circles in there with all those straight lines but they're there!

Here's a help for those who need to see where the circles are:

16.jpg

• Like 1

On the circles one...is it just me..?  I can see three rows of circles at a time, but then when I try get the fourth row to appear as circles as well by shifting my gaze ever so slightly, they all vanish into the rectangles and I have to start again...  Cool!

Edited by ChrLzs
*fourth*, not third.. sigh..

47 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

On the circles one...is it just me..?  I can see three rows of circles at a time, but then when I try get the third row to appear as circles as well by shifting my gaze ever so slightly, they all vanish into the rectangles and I have to start again...  Cool!

I can see all 4 rows at the same time but just one slight lack of concentration and they're gone!

Edited to add: I've found that for me, it works similar to the 'magic eye' pictures. Focusing on one place and trying to look beyond the image makes them just pop out.

Edited by Stiff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. I love optical illusions and I'll post my favourites when time permits. 

It always fascinated me that if you hang upsidedown long enough your brain will compensate and flip your world around to fit your internal model. Turn yourself back the right way and your vision will now be upsidedown. It returns to normal quicker than it takes to flip but still takes a while.

On 06/08/2017 at 1:02 PM, Ozfactor said:

What black dot? There  isn't any.. 

On 17/08/2017 at 4:32 AM, Stiff said:

Ok, here's a tricky one (or at least I found it tricky!)

There are 16 circles in this picture. Some will see them, some won't.

3W2Yn31.jpg

You simply look at segments of the picture rather than the whole thing.  They appear immediately  because they are the only vertical lines.