Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Milky Way galaxy is riddled with black holes

UM-Bot

Kind of scary.  Do we actual know if these are actually holes of minimal thickness or a tunnel?  Movies seem to make the black holes seem like tunnels.  I wonder if we'll ever know what's inside one of these.  If would have to be something incredibly dense to generate the gravity.  Maybe there's a group of items creating the gravitation pull.  Just another mystery of the universe that may never be solved.

• Like 1

Last time I read about black holes, there were two therories. Either they are tunnels to somewhere else, or they are so heavy that the atoms crumble into impossibly dense matter. Which mean, first the electrons no longer run around the core but are pushed down on the core of proton and neutron, then the core itself crumble into a more compact mass of quarks.

• Like 1

I think it would be so fascinating to watch a black hole descending upon Earth, especially if you were lucky enough to see from directly underneath. 

Imagine what you could learn!

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

I think it would be so fascinating to watch a black hole descending upon Earth, especially if you were lucky enough to see from directly underneath. 

There would not be much to see or feel until you crossed the event horizon.   Check out one of the TED talks on black holes.  Neil DeGrasse Tyson  does on.  I am thinking it would not be cool.  Not many people in the tunnel school, Hawking, Susskind, and others think that is purely science fiction.

• Like 2

I have always assumed they were solid bodies (like other visible planetary bodies or suns) but of such intense density that gravity outweighed light etc. Would genuinely like to know if anyone knows that it is not possible for them to be solid spheres.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taniwha said:

You would learn very quickly that your days are over.

• Like 4

That is really no surprise the galaxy is full of black holes, when you think about them as being stellar remnants and the age of the universe.  Kind of like those old concert tee shirts I bought in the 70's, full of holes.   

• Like 2

I don't understand why this is scary to some people. The Earth is 5 billion years old and has not been affected by one of these numerous black holes before. Just because they are there doesn't mean anyone is in any immediate danger, they are very far away.

19 hours ago, paperdyer said:

I wonder if we'll ever know what's inside one of these.  If would have to be something incredibly dense to generate the gravity.  Maybe there's a group of items creating the gravitation pull.  Just another mystery of the universe that may never be solved.

Unfortunately, we don't have a scale for how fast materials can travel within the CMB before their bonds break, this knowledge might be beyond our years.

13 hours ago, taniwha said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelblitz_(astrophysics)

"In theoretical physics, a kugelblitz (German: "ball lightning") is a concentration of light so intense that it forms an event horizon and becomes self-trapped: according to general relativity, if enough radiation is aimed into a region, the concentration of energy can warp spacetime enough for the region to become a black hole (although this would be a black hole whose original mass-energy had been in the form of radiant energy rather than matter)."

If you were on the Earth you wouldn't be able to tell a Kugelblitz was occurring as light would be travelling at too high of a speed to give you a forewarning.  

13 hours ago, taniwha said:

And never be able to use the information unless they are a tunnel to another dimension.

2 hours ago, thelion318 said:

I don't understand why this is scary to some people. The Earth is 5 billion years old and has not been affected by one of these numerous black holes before. Just because they are there doesn't mean anyone is in any immediate danger, they are very far away.

What's so scary is we keep finding more of them.  Who knows if there isn't a small one headed our way that we just haven't found yet.

This topic made me think of something.... if gravity can beat light... can it become a speed? So instead of speed of light, it would be speed of gravity? Or perhaps make light go faster?

• Like 1

Looking for antimatter? Look in a black hole! Why has no one figured out the obvious?

i went to the beach today. I was able to estimate the total grains of sand to be 150 billions

5 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

i went to the beach today. I was able to estimate the total grains of sand to be 150 billions

Yes I think there are more grains of sand on earth than there are black holes riddling the universe.