Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's share odd facts about where you live.

The Silver Thong

Just now, Farmer77 said:

No way??? ??? HAHA Thats freakin awesome 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Silver Thong said:

You didn't marry him/ her did you lol 

Ahh no... I'm not the marrying type.

1 minute ago, Colectivo said:

Ahh no... I'm not the marrying type.

Good call

17 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

You didn't marry him/ her did you lol 

that explains everything...............lol.....

Last year, I moved to Renton Washington. It's like 4 miles south of Seattle. Haha. 

Renton is known for being the home of Boeing's B-29, C-97, 707, 727, 737, 747, and 757. Today, the 737 is the only aircraft assembled there. The plant has been reduced in size, except for one factory building which sits on expensive lake front property. The Renton plant is now surrounded by upscale malls, hotels and apartments. 

Renton is also home to the Seahawks training camp. The second largest training camp facility in the nation. (Meh, football).

And appealing to weirdos and geeks everywhere, Renton is and has always been home to Wizards of the Coast... Magic: The Gathering.

And, for the creepy factor.. Gary Ridgeway, the Green River Killer lived and worked in Renton. 

Mostly, Renton has always been considered a basic blue collar town, up until the last few years anyway... now, it's becoming hipster central. 

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

LV has more fake Elvis per capita than in the entire planet.....or so I notice.

• Like 1

Bristol Va.

You can stand in the middle of State Street and be in Virginia and Tennessee. There was even a Geico commercial filmed there.

Most people believe Nashville is where country music got its start but they're wrong.

1927 Bristol Sessions recordings by the Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Ernest V. Stoneman. Bristol Tn/Va is the birthplace of country music.

• Like 1

I have been to a few of these places but nothing happened. 

• Like 1

Palm Desert CA between the desert resort city Palm Springs and the area's largest and oldest Indio, is a hot sunny climate. 333 days of sunshine on average per year - could go down to 300 in El Nino years by rain seasons (Jan and Feb). We get 100s-110sF range highs from mid-May to mid-Oct., the highest ever recorded was 128F in August (the hottest month). And we can get chilly, the lowest temp on the (Coachella) valley floor was 15F in Jan. 1993 - the high on that day was 50-51F. 

• Like 1

John Dillinger escaped from a prison in my town, he shot the local sheriff and killed him during the escape.  

• Like 1

I forgot about Kapunda most haunted town in Australia, I visited there once nice quite area didn't see anything supernatural or any ghosts thou.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tcgram said:

John Dillinger escaped from a prison in my town, he shot the local sheriff and killed him during the escape.  

Correct if im wrong but I think billy the Kid stayed in Calgary for a bit in the 1880 hiding out. Again not sure 

Dillinger is a legend his gang was awesome but maybe not in a good way

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

I forgot about Kapunda most haunted town in Australia, I visited there once nice quite area didn't see anything supernatural or any ghosts thou.

I walked into an old mine years ago and got a bit creeped out but it was nothing more than pack rats all over.  

• Like 1

I walked into an old mine years ago and got a bit creeped out but it was nothing more than pack rats all over.  

I tell people the group I went with (church youth group back in 2002) must have scared the ghosts off. We only went to a block of toilets and picnic tables no actual exploring. Maybe I should go for my 30th next year, film and take photos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

I tell people the group I went with (church youth group back in 2002) must have scared the ghosts off. We only went to a block of toilets and picnic tables no actual exploring. Maybe I should go for my 30th next year, film and take photos.

pic's are always cool wish I had more, well I do but they are on youtube and safe for work lol.  I once went went into an ice cave and crawled in a bit to deep and could't back out. I panicked a bit but I did get out. I never went back.  It's hard coming out backwards lol

• Like 2

ScenicLookout1.jpg Berri and surrounds where a lot of South Australia's Citrus comes from and where a wine I like comes from.  Photo is of the old Berri water tower that became a look out, I made it to the second platform from the ground and couldn't go higher the gaps in the steps look wide. Also no traffic lights in Berri, but it is a country town with not too much traffic

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

ScenicLookout1.jpg Berri and surrounds where a lot of South Australia's Citrus comes from and where a wine I like comes from.  Photo is of the old Berri water tower that became a look out, I made it to the second platform from the ground and couldn't go higher the gaps in the steps look wide. Also no traffic lights in Berri, but it is a country town with not too much traffic

It looks like a Lego man lol we have those to but look different. Ours look like bobble heads.  I did build a clapper years ago that pumps water noo dirty comments lol  

• Like 1

It looks like a Lego man lol we have those to but look different. Ours look like bobble heads.  I did build a clapper years ago that pumps water noo dirty comments lol  

Lol, I'll behave :whistle: This one is an old water tower, the stairs go all the around top platform is inside and there's a door on the outside. There used to be the big Orange somewhere in the Riverland area but it was removed last I heard.

ok this is really bizarre 

This is in my province  :blink:

On 8/13/2017 at 4:51 AM, Farmer77 said:

I spent most of my life in AK where there are places, like where my cabin is, that you can't go outside without mosquito netting on your head or you wont be able to breathe because the mosquitoes are so thick 

Image result for alaska mosquito swarm

OMG. 

I heard there were 2 seasons, winter and mosquitoes, but that's ridiculous. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My town, Bolton, near Manchester, is where the company Reebok started and where the ice cream wafer sandwich was invented.

Boltonians were rated the friendliest people in Britain in an internet survey.

Bolton Wanderers won the first ever match played at Wembley Stadium - the 1923 FA Cup Final against West Ham United.

There is a pie and pastie shop in the town which dates back to 1667.

Most disposable bedpans in the world are made in Bolton by Vernacare.

The most famous quote in British sporting history was uttered by a Bolton commentator. When England won the World Cup in 1966 it was Bolton's Kenneth Wolstenholme who uttered the immortal words "There's some people on the pitch. They think it's all over...it is now!"

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

Here's a few random facts about Jacksonville:

- It's the largest city in the US

- Charles Ponzi (ponzi scheme guy) scammed a bunch of people here and was tried by a grand jury

- Jax was apparently a mini Hollywood in the silent film era, here's an example

- There were Nazi spys to an extent here. I'm not clear on this but I know there were a few incidents. One of them being a woman who would hang out on the beach and paint as if she's soaking in the sun and enjoying her day but really she was painting the beach for landing operations or whatever. There was also an incident with 4 male spies but frankly I don't remember the story. I think a U Boat was able to get people close enough to shore because locals were ignoring the blackout/lights off (what's that called?) wartime thing.

- Frank Sinatra used to vacation here frequently. I don't think people know this but that was kind of the point. We had a mini Bohemian Grove back in the day.

• Like 1