Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's share odd facts about where you live.

The Silver Thong

Tell us about some strange things were you live, or just interesting facts.

• Like 4

Houston is partially below sea level.

Houston is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago), and is the largest in the southern U.S. and Texas.

• Like 4

Somewhere around 1k people live in the large tunnels beneath Las Vegas 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Houston is partially below sea level.

Houston is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago), and is the largest in the southern U.S. and Texas.

I have never been to Houston but hear it's pretty nice there. look it up as to how close you are to the ocean.  We are like 4000 feet high  however we do get floods from snow melt.  We have underground tunnels under our city hall that have never been used and we were lied to about them.  this video is over 7 years old and yet nothing. What are they there for?  Hey I here Texas has a town called Calgary. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Somewhere around 1k people live in the large tunnels beneath Las Vegas 

I have seen a few video's on that. Pretty spooky place to hang out in. Flash floods in Navada do happen and those tunnels are a death trap. I have to admit I have been in a few sewers, when I was a kid not really a shinning moment. Never camp in a sewer. 

• Like 3

Seattle is ranked the most literate city in the USA

• side note: Seattle public Library has the largest per capita library card holder in the nation

People in Seattle buy the most sun glasses per capita in the country :D

• Like 6

Us Aussies are pretty great...........and have a lot of info most don't know.......

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/facts-about-australia?utm_term=.miPyZMyBW#.rt37Ga7BV

Edited by cluey
  • Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

Seattle is ranked the most literate city in the USA

• side note: Seattle public Library has the largest per capita library card holder in the nation

People in Seattle buy the most sun glasses per capita in the country :D

I call that grey glare headache weather so the sunglasses part makes sense, id be pretty proud of that library and literary stat too if that were my city 

• Like 2

In Seattle we love our football.  We have the loudest craziest fans in the NFL. 

Fun fact - The run below got the fans so pumped that we (I was there) registered on the richter scale

Believe it or not I tear up when I watch this :lol: I'm such a wuss sometimes.

• Like 4

In Seattle we love our football.  We have the loudest craziest fans in the NFL. 

Fun fact - The run below got the fans so pumped that we (I was there) registered on the richter scale

Believe it or not I tear up when I watch this :lol: I'm such a wuss sometimes.

Seattle also holds the record for having the worlds largest bandwagon :whistle:

Im glad im not the only one who gets emotional over his team though , my wife mocks me relentlessly "You didnt cry when your son was born but the Buckeyes beat ichigan and you tear up"? LOL 

• Like 5

I always cheer for the SeaHawks  I don't know why,I just do.  The Rock Dewayne Jonson played for the Calgary Stampeders. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Seattle also holds the record for having the worlds largest bandwagon :whistle:

You mean the bandwagon we've been riding for the last 40 years?

• Like 1

just pointing out.....there is about 120,000 unsolved murders a year in America alone.......that's scary.....

1 minute ago, cluey said:

just pointing out.....there is about 120,000 unsolved murders a year in America alone.......that's scary.....

We have smart murderers.

• Like 7

You mean the bandwagon we've been riding for the last 40 years?

I grew up in "northern seattle" forced to watch Seahawks games on TV  I know better than that LOL 

I know there are diehards, its just become an easy target for the jokes, no offense intended. 

2 minutes ago, cluey said:

That is scary

What I didn't know was Canada has the second largest nuclear plant on the planet. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

We have smart murderers.

OMG....you think that means your country is smarter at murder????............

Grew up a Vikings fan... always loved the Seahawks though... best.  mascot.  ever. 

Haven't been able to watch a football game for yeeeears now.  Just utterly lost interest one day... poof.

California.

Modern fortune was cookie invented here... you're welcome.

Tallest tree in the world, the Hyperion 379 feet, lives here.

(location undisclosed, which seems conveniently hard to then prove its veracity)

1 out of every 8 Americans live in Cali.

There are more than 300 museums in Los Angeles.

Minnesota

MN has 13,136,357 acres of total surface water, more area than all the land in Hawaii and New Jersey combined.

There are 69,200 miles of rivers and streams in Minnesota. That's enough to circle the equator 2 3/4 times!

That translates into roughly 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined.

The first open heart surgery and the first bone marrow transplant in the U.S. were done at the University of Minnesota.

Southdale Mall in Edina was the first enclosed climate-controlled mall in America.

Brooklyn

Just now, quiXilver said:

Grew up a Vikings fan... always loved the Seahawks though... best.  mascot.  ever. 

Haven't been able to watch a football game for yeeeears now.  Just utterly lost interest one day... poof.

Did you move to California before you lost interest? I ask because as a born midwesterner transplanted out west the lack of interest in sports , in comparison to that in the midwest was stunning. 

15 minutes ago, cluey said:

OMG....you think that means your country is smarter at murder????............

They are better at it....  To be honest I wouldn't know how to kill a person and not get caught. 

We have a road in B.C. called highway of tears.  Don't drive it.......

• Like 3

Just now, The Silver Thong said:

They are better at it....  To be honest I wouldn't know how to kill a person and not get caught. 

We have a road in B.C. called highway of tears.  Don't drive it.......

Well if ever in a pinch send me a PM ;)

look at the population ratio........it is a fact that there are at least 60 serial killers working on a daily basis in America......not a country i want to be anywhere near......

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Well if ever in a pinch send me a PM ;)

Will do