Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Metal starfish' discovered in Rhode Island

UM-Bot

Many locals don't remember seeing it before last summer. The harbor master has never seen it or heard of it before so it's a real mystery." Errrr could it be that it wasn't there then 

• Like 3

westerly-object3.jpg?w=300&h=169

Yes this looks very "alien" to me. Almost as if some advance technology from an ancient space faring race created it.:rolleyes:

Those look like 3/8-16 bolts. It probably came off a boat or was tossed out in a storm, who knows.

• Like 6

Look like part of a small jet motor  to me.  

• Like 1

It would be interesting to have an update on what it is. Probably an industrial strength egg beater that restaurants use.

The Bolts would come in handy and the rest of it could go on the"I'll keep that it'll come in handy"pile of stuff in my shed

It's probably some kind of homemade anchor.  The metal could be stainless steel or aluminium. To be honest it looks like it's made of aluminum bolted together with concrete "feet".  The feet are pvc pipe with concrete in them. Plus it's welded around the ring part. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, seanjo said:

What part of a "jet motor" has a concrete base to it?

I didn't notice the concrete, so am going to go with Xeno, homemade achor.

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It's probably some kind of homemade anchor.  The metal could be stainless steel or aluminium. To be honest it looks like it's made of aluminum bolted together with concrete "feet".  The feet are pvc pipe with concrete in them. Plus it's welded around the ring part. 

Could be an old mooring of some kind uncovered by the sand shifting about

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I'll be more convinced of that theory if/when it's weight is known, if it's too heavy for a fella to chuck off a boat and haul it back in, then it can't be a home made anchor. Then again, maybe that's why it is where it is....Having said that it seems too intricate for an anchor, why not just embed a large metal ring instead of those brackets and bolts.

I'm just making assumptions. I have no honest clue what it is or what it was used for. It looks like an anchor to me, even if it's too heavy for someone to toss it out, doesn't mean it can not be mechanically lowered.

25 minutes ago, DragonFire22 said:

This ain't no damn aliens... unless they use bolts just like we do.

Well, of course, they brought us the bolts. And velcro. 

• Like 1

Whatever it is, it isn't from aliens nor does it appear to be of nefarious intent. I'm opting for it being a beach umbrella support.

• Like 1

it looks small enough to pull out of the sand.  or get a rope and the people there to pull.  Give a hoot don't pollute.

Im going with it being the base for a North Korean rocket system , theyre prepping for their invasion! 

• Like 1

It could be an old mine, loaded with explosives.