Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Metal starfish' discovered in Rhode Island

UM-Bot

Hmmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/13/2017 at 6:09 AM, XenoFish said:

It's probably some kind of homemade anchor.  The metal could be stainless steel or aluminium. To be honest it looks like it's made of aluminum bolted together with concrete "feet".  The feet are pvc pipe with concrete in them. Plus it's welded around the ring part. 

I couldn't see the concrete (not very observant I guess. )  The framework looks like a big commercial crab or lobster pot, a collapsed rectangular box sans netting.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, beelzebufo said:

Update: They've dug it up.

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/topnews/10795634-154/mystery-objects-removal-from-east-beach-sand-creates-more-questions.html

Apparently, there's still no definite answer for what it is, though the article suggests it's part of a buoy. Thoughts?

assembled-640x512.jpg

If I go by just the look of it, I'd say it's made out of either stainless steel or aluminum. Maybe it's a part of some fishing net?

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If I go by just the look of it, I'd say it's made out of either stainless steel or aluminum. Maybe it's a part of some fishing net?

Whatever it is, it looks even less like some kind of alien artifact now that it's out of the sand.

The housing to one of those acoustic doppler sensors they use to measure ocean currents? Never seen one that big though

adcp.jpg

Some ancient mechanism for forecasting lunar eclipses, and meteor showers.  

In short, it's a calculator washed ashore from the lost continent of Atlantis.

Either that or its a prop from the movie set Jaws.

Take your pick.

LFG10222009002_1137am_trap1a.jpgSome sort of dredge trap with the webbing rotted away.

Probably a part of a old playground toy from the area like:

IMG_5722.JPG

or something similar to that :

Image result for playground cone

Edited by Jon the frog

Well it seems there are no logical explanations so that rules science out.

This leaves three possibilities:

1. Paranormal - the ghost in the machine? Did anyone check it with an emf meter?

2. Extraterrestrial - Part of an alien spacecraft - this is most likely. Did anyone look for the rest of the ship? Did they form a human ring and chant at the stars to make contact?

3. Cryptid - A new aluminium concrete species of starfish. I think this unlikely as it would have trouble swimming, can't be ruled out at this point though.

I rate them as 24%, 75% and 1% likely, respectively.