Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Places That Seem To Effect Time

NotAlien7

If ever there was a place on earth where something has an effect on time it would be between Greenville Texas and Dallas Texas on Interstate 30. This is about a 45 mile stretch of very busy highway that i traveled many times on a daily basis. I started noticing that i would suddenly be about 10 miles farther than what i should be. I knew how much time it took to get that far but according to what time i left i shouldn't be that far yet. I started paying more attention to this and realized it always happened around a small town called Royse City and suddenly i would be going through Rockwall Texas just before arriving at Dallas. Has anyone experienced this same thing on this same stretch of road or anywhere else?

• Like 3

Time is immutable. The cognitive perception of time is not. I drive the same route every day to work and more than once have arrived with little recollection of much of the journey.

• Like 9

I understand what your saying but i have been driving a different highway for about eight years now and have never noticed anything similar. 

• Like 1

Seems you may have found Mrs. Todd's Shortcut...

• Like 3

I have been driving the some road for ten years, and on accasion I 'lose time'.

Usually I am pre occupied (in thought) and I had a long day. I am thankful that I always end the journey safely. 

Its almost like a horse knowing the road home and he walks it even if the rider doesnt guide. I always joke and say, luckily the car knows the road...

• Like 6

11 hours ago, NotAlien7 said:

If ever there was a place on earth where something has an effect on time it would be between Greenville Texas and Dallas Texas on Interstate 30. This is about a 45 mile stretch of very busy highway that i traveled many times on a daily basis. I started noticing that i would suddenly be about 10 miles farther than what i should be. I knew how much time it took to get that far but according to what time i left i shouldn't be that far yet. I started paying more attention to this and realized it always happened around a small town called Royse City and suddenly i would be going through Rockwall Texas just before arriving at Dallas. Has anyone experienced this same thing on this same stretch of road or anywhere else?

The time slip that my husband and I experienced defies explanation.  

What I am most curious about in regard to your recurrent episodes is your perception whereupon you realize you're in Rockwall.  For example, do you sense any distortion of time or sound?  Taking care not to ask too many leading questions, how do you sense the 10 mile transition?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DebDandelion said:

I have been driving the some road for ten years, and on accasion I 'lose time'.

Usually I am pre occupied (in thought) and I had a long day. I am thankful that I always end the journey safely. 

Its almost like a horse knowing the road home and he walks it even if the rider doesnt guide. I always joke and say, luckily the car knows the road...

Operating on automatic is something we all sometimes do that can be scary, because distraction makes us more accident prone.

• Like 3

This is the phenomena known as highway hypnosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_hypnosis

I often drive long distances and get to where I want to be without much recollection of the drive. Today I arrived 25 minutes later than I thought I would. I did have an interesting drive avoiding a skunk in the road, 3 different places where deer were along the road, 2 stopped vehicles on the shoulder, 3 construction zones, but I do not remember passing 3 fairly large cities I had to have passed, an amusement park, sunrise, or a river with a big bridge.

I know they were there, but this morning I do recall reviewing plans for the eclipse in one week, going over lists of things to do this week, thinking about solutions for a proposal to be presented this morning, listening to old time radio, etc.

I get highway hypnosis often and it makes the long drives easy for me to handle.

• Like 6

I use to have these same situations, while driving to and from work when I lived in New Jersey. Though, I'm with the consensus here, I chalk it up to that daily situation that I completely blank and then wonder, 'did I run a red back there?' :o And that does scare me. 

I wonder, notalien, if there are other areas that do that, and doing an experiment on that? 

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 11:48 PM, NotAlien7 said:

All you have to do is write down your starting time on a piece of paper and compare it whenever you feel that you skipped time . 

• Like 2

It is amazingly common to hear stories of people that drive and are unaware of some of the events they encounter getting to the destination.

My guess is that I am more aware of my surroundings than I later believe to be the case. I don't hit wildlife and I see a lot of animals from foxes to skunks, deer, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, mice, and rabbits as well as owls, bats, and a variety of insects. These I remember, but cars , trucks, bridges, exit signs, and other repeated objects are not  important enough to me to remember at a later time.

• Like 3

On 14/08/2017 at 6:46 AM, NotAlien7 said:

I understand what your saying but i have been driving a different highway for about eight years now and have never noticed anything similar. 

It's all in your head. End of story.

Sometimes, very rarely, it feels the other way around for me.  I will be driving somewhere familiar, I become disoriented and confused with no idea where I am or where I'm supposed to be going! I don't even remember where I left from or the purpose of the journey anymore!

Here's a tip.  Why not attach a camera to the windscreen and drive that route and have the timer displayed at all times and a separate camera focused on yourself.

Then post the video if you experience missing time. Keep us tuned. :)

• Like 4

Highway hypnosis definition

Highway hypnosis, also known as white line fever, is a mental state in which a person can drive a truck or other automobile great distances, responding to external events in the expected, safe and correct manner with no recollection of having consciously done so.      Wikipedia
  • Like 2

Also, if you don't use cruise control, you could have been unknowingly speeding...

But you said it's very busy, so, unlikely.

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 0:57 AM, aka CAT said:

The time slip that my husband and I experienced defies explanation.  

What I am most curious about in regard to your recurrent episodes is your perception whereupon you realize you're in Rockwall.  For example, do you sense any distortion of time or sound?  Taking care not to ask too many leading questions, how do you sense the 10 mile transition?

I don't drive that road anymore its been about 8 years since i have but all i can say is the recollection would be instant with the time and milage bearing out that recollection. 

• Like 1

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM, kartikg said:

All you have to do is write down your starting time on a piece of paper and compare it whenever you feel that you skipped time . 

I did keep written records. I wrote down the time and milage every morning for two years. The missing time occurred only three times over that two years.

• Like 2

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Highway hypnosis definition

Highway hypnosis, also known as white line fever, is a mental state in which a person can drive a truck or other automobile great distances, responding to external events in the expected, safe and correct manner with no recollection of having consciously done so.      Wikipedia

I can agree with that because i have experienced driving times similar to that also but the experience of missing time on that stretch of road is different. I can't think of any other way or word except instant. After two years of writing down the time and milage before backing out of my driveway and again after passing a certain truck stop at Rockwall i only experienced that three times but i remembered to write down the time every day.

8 hours ago, NotAlien7 said:

I did keep written records. 

Show us.

11 hours ago, NotAlien7 said:

I did keep written records. I wrote down the time and milage every morning for two years. The missing time occurred only three times over that two years.

Could these be mistakes? Did you always write down the start time when you started or did you write the time down when already on y our way. After a lengthy time of normal it seems to me that forgetting to write down the start time and mileage could happen. Maybe that's just me, but I do forget to reset my trip odometer some days which helps me determine if I am going to be late for my morning meeting. I end up guessing how far I have come and that adds some uncertainty to my results.

When you show us the written records it would be helpful to discuss any issues that affect the data.

• Like 1

On August 23, 2017 at 8:38 PM, NotAlien7 said:

I don't drive that road anymore its been about 8 years since i have but all i can say is the recollection would be instant with the time and milage bearing out that recollection. 

"[T]ime and mil[e]age" in that order?-- i.e. on the occasions when it seemed you had no sooner left Royse City than you "would be going through Rockwall Texas," did you, first, check the time and, then, look to see whether or not the odometer registered the distance travelled from one place to the other?-- was the mileage roughly consistent with the actual distance between the cities?

My initial question had  more to do with things such as

- if you were listening to something, e.g. the radio and/or music, did it become muffled for a time?-- or, at any time, did you cease to hear it?

- whereupon you realized you were in Rockwell, time seemed to temporarily neither slow down nor speed up?

- did you sense any change in the atmosphere?

I asked the last question, because of the account by a woman that I just read.  Whereas both you and she repeatedly experienced supposed time slips that were location specific, she invariably felt as though the atmosphere somehow became denser just prior to every such occurrence of five in total.  In her case, she would slow before reaching an intersection whereupon the road would no longer be paved and, for about twenty seconds, the scenery/setting would be that of about fifty years earlier.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

I have been thinking about this idea and my drive. Twice a week I drive 315 miles. It is always 315 miles. A few times I arrive earlier than expected and these are the days I have less recollection of the drive. I believe it is due to easier driving conditions allowing for a faster trip and me having to be less conscious of the driving requirements for a safe trip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 8:43 AM, stereologist said:

Could these be mistakes? Did you always write down the start time when you started or did you write the time down when already on y our way. After a lengthy time of normal it seems to me that forgetting to write down the start time and mileage could happen. Maybe that's just me, but I do forget to reset my trip odometer some days which helps me determine if I am going to be late for my morning meeting. I end up guessing how far I have come and that adds some uncertainty to my results.

When you show us the written records it would be helpful to discuss any issues that affect the data.

Understand that when i started keeping time and milage records it was not my intentions to prove anything to anyone but myself. Was i driving while daydreaming or in some kind of every day same thing kind of boring trance or was this sense of time loss real. I thought the only way i will ever know is to write down time and milage until it happened again and then i would know am i stupid or not. After a few months of this record keeping it paid off when i reached my 2nd time and mileage recording point it was like how did i get here so fast. I worked with a young man who was attending college he would work during the summer months and he was taking science classes i talked to him about it and he mentioned it to his professor who said my records were useless not scientific and elementary.  I have to agree with that there was nothing scientific about it i was only trying to satisfy my own curiosity as to what was real and what wasn't.  For my records to be of any use to anyone at all much more record keeping would have to be done and such things as the use of one vehicle ony which is designated for that use only and nothing else also equiped with certified equipment for recording purposes. After i satisfied my own curiosity about i ended up using the notebook i was using for something else and eventually it was trashed or left in one of my vehicles. As to my own curiosity i will say yes there is definitely something just within one mile east of Royce City Texas that throws you for a loop on occasion. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NotAlien7 said:

Understand that when i started keeping time and milage records it was not my intentions to prove anything to anyone but myself. Was i driving while daydreaming or in some kind of every day same thing kind of boring trance or was this sense of time loss real. I thought the only way i will ever know is to write down time and milage until it happened again and then i would know am i stupid or not. After a few months of this record keeping it paid off when i reached my 2nd time and mileage recording point it was like how did i get here so fast. I worked with a young man who was attending college he would work during the summer months and he was taking science classes i talked to him about it and he mentioned it to his professor who said my records were useless not scientific and elementary.  I have to agree with that there was nothing scientific about it i was only trying to satisfy my own curiosity as to what was real and what wasn't.  For my records to be of any use to anyone at all much more record keeping would have to be done and such things as the use of one vehicle ony which is designated for that use only and nothing else also equiped with certified equipment for recording purposes. After i satisfied my own curiosity about i ended up using the notebook i was using for something else and eventually it was trashed or left in one of my vehicles. As to my own curiosity i will say yes there is definitely something just within one mile east of Royce City Texas that throws you for a loop on occasion. 

The scientific issue has to do with things other than data collection. It is about making it a formal experiment with a hypothesis and considering factors that could affect the ability to draw a conclusion. Raw data can be useful in deciding how to set up an experiment. You probably have the information you need. Today's phones can probably have an app written for them that would collect the data without you thinking about it. That would eliminate simple mistakes in bookkeeping.

It seems to me that it is more likely that mistakes are made in record keeping that there are things that throw anyone for a loop on occasion.

• Like 1

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 5:12 AM, ChrLzs said:

Show us.

Sorry but i didn't keep up with those records. My intentions for keeping them were for myself only i didn't care if anyone ever saw them or not and i realize what that sounds like but its the truth. My eyesight was perfect then so it was easy to read the milage and time to jot down real quick so why not I'm really good at doing things like clockwork i like routine just like an old dog. I accomplished what i set out to do and it was for myself only after that was done i went on to something else just like everyone else but i still wonder about it sometimes.

• Like 1