Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Jayney

Sounds

9 posts in this topic

Hi I'm new here and I have a question  as I can't seem to get an answer anywhere. Does anyone ever "hear" a sound before it happens? Like if someone was to knock on a door but you hear it before it happens. It not actually a noise but I can't seem to explain it properly.  Any opinions  would be great. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, Jayney said:

Hi I'm new here and I have a question  as I can't seem to get an answer anywhere. Does anyone ever "hear" a sound before it happens? Like if someone was to knock on a door but you hear it before it happens. It not actually a noise but I can't seem to explain it properly.  Any opinions  would be great. Thanks.

Welcome to UM,

It's most likely psychological. Eg. You've thought it's happened, whether it was another sound first or not, and now you've got this idea stuck in your head which makes you think it is happening.

Edit: Is you're house generally very quiet or loud? What's it normally like?

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.
1 person likes this

Could be a neuro issue as well, there is a theory that deja vu phenomenon is a misfiring of the brain.

1 person likes this

We don't really have enough details, but also, if you are anticipating a sound and it happens, bear in mind that there may have been very low-level sounds or other clues that may have preceded it, and your sub-conscious registered those as a clue and you expected..

KNOCK KNOCK. :)

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Jayney said:

It sounds like you are talking about 'Precognition'. 

Here's a quote from an article:

So what exactly is precognition? It’s basically the ability to have a premonition of a future event that could not otherwise be anticipated through any known process

Experiments seem to show it is a weak but real human ability. Like all abilities, some are more gifted than others.

Here's  an article that explains it and the experimental evidence for it: Precognition: Science Shows How Our Body Reacts To Events Up To 10 Seconds Before They Happen

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

i personally did experience it but i was asleep. Have heard the buzz in a place i used to rent while i was asleep. i woke up and a few moments after, i've heard the buzz. My friend who has rang said it was only once as he was searching a few good minutes for his keys before.

the most memorable occurence however was waking up in the middle of the night shouting the name of a class mate i used to like. In the morning i have heard that she was very sick the night before with double pneumonia and high fever. There are ezotheric events in our life that happens a lot but many of us have chosen to ignore them. 

Edited by qxcontinuum

Thank you papageorge1. This sums up exactly  what I'm thinking. When I say "hear" I actually  don't hear, it's more like a knowing before a sound happens. Therefore when others get a fright from a loud bang, for example, I don't as I knew it was coming. I've always said I've heard it before it happens as this seems to kind of explain what I mean.

1 person likes this

There was a time two years ago when I said to my family that my daughter has had an accident and hurt her arm. I've no idea why I blurted it out so suddenly but I felt it to be the case. 10 minutes later my daughter came in the house cradling her arm and crying. My partner and children gave me a funny look. I wonder if a mother's bond with her children could be so strong you can feel/know when something has occurred?

1 person likes this

Closest I come is synchronicity. 

I'll be humming a tune and I'll come across it somewhere. Or I'll be thinking of a movie and click on the TV and it'll be on. 

A few times, I've thought of a person I hadn't had contact with for a long time, and then I'd run across them online or at the grocery store. 

I do sometimes dream the alarm is going off, and I wake up, then the alarm goes off. It's like my body knows what time I have to get up. 

2 people like this