Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BT to scrap 20,000 unused telephone boxes

Still Waters

BT is to scrap half of the UK's remaining 40,000 telephone boxes and focus on the ones in locations where people are more likely to use them.

In 1992 at their peak before mobile phones became popular, there were 92,000 phone boxes in the UK.

Telephone boxes still handle 33,000 calls a day, but one third of kiosks are never used to make a call.

BT said many phone boxes had become a burden and were expensive to repair and maintain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40934210

• Like 3

It's a pity that they aren't quite the right design to sell as Dr Who souvenirs..

• Like 6

I think the UK phone boxes are very quaint indeed. When we were in Christchurch (before the terrible earthquake) we noticed they had similar phone boxes. We even took some fun snap shots of them. It's good to know that people will buy them, and renovate/ recycle them for other uses such as little libraries, or ice-cream kiosks etc...they are simply too sweet and way too nostalgic to throw away. 

• Like 4

On 8/17/2017 at 2:39 AM, Astra. said:

I think the UK phone boxes are very quaint indeed. When we were in Christchurch (before the terrible earthquake) we noticed they had similar phone boxes. We even took some fun snap shots of them. It's good to know that people will buy them, and renovate/ recycle them for other uses such as little libraries, or ice-cream kiosks etc...they are simply too sweet and way too nostalgic to throw away. 

Like this guy for example -

Thousands of red telephone boxes are being sold off as many get little use. But some savvy entrepreneurs are finding alternative uses for them.

Here, business owner Ben Spier explains why he started selling salads from one of Britain's best-known landmarks:

http://news.sky.com/story/entrepreneur-ben-spier-why-i-set-up-my-business-in-a-phone-box-10995124

• Like 2

On 8/17/2017 at 2:41 AM, ChrLzs said:

It's a pity that they aren't quite the right design to sell as Dr Who souvenirs..

Well, could be sold as next gen TARDIS, i.e. TARDIS II.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2017 at 8:26 PM, Still Waters said:

BT is to scrap half of the UK's remaining 40,000 telephone boxes and focus on the ones in locations where people are more likely to use them.

In 1992 at their peak before mobile phones became popular, there were 92,000 phone boxes in the UK.

Telephone boxes still handle 33,000 calls a day, but one third of kiosks are never used to make a call.

BT said many phone boxes had become a burden and were expensive to repair and maintain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40934210

35b9bb728bf8a0dc67ec36cffbb966d7.png