Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anger and hatred can make us feel happy

Still Waters

People are happier if they are able to feel emotions they desire - even if those emotions are unpleasant, such as anger and hatred, a study suggests.

The results of the study, compiled by an international team of researchers, found happiness is "more than simply feeling pleasure and avoiding pain".

Researchers asked participants what emotions they desired and felt.

This was then compared to how they rated their overall happiness, or life satisfaction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40900811

• Like 5

I know life sucks. But without the negative stress of it, I'd never know what being happy would feel like. Everything would be numb. Through sorrow I have learned appreciation of life. Through the acceptance of death, I've learned to enjoy life. No matter how absurd it is.You have to feel.

• Like 4

Hatred is not an emotion, it is a state of mind that develops when emotions like fear and anger and other states of mind like ignorance and bigotry are left unchecked and unresolved.

But I agree, one does becomes stressed and knocked off kilter when one is constantly being told that they are mentally ill if they ever feel sad, fearful, anxious, angry or generally happy.

I had even read somewhere where someone had made the claim that grieving, for example,  was not normal or natural; can you believe that? No wonder our society is sliding into the cesspit of depravity.

• Like 5

Study just confirming what I learn through regular life experience.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ryu said:

Hatred is not an emotion, it is a state of mind that develops when emotions like fear and anger and other states of mind like ignorance and bigotry are left unchecked and unresolved.

But I agree, one does becomes stressed and knocked off kilter when one is constantly being told that they are mentally ill if they ever feel sad, fearful, anxious, angry or generally happy.

I had even read somewhere where someone had made the claim that grieving, for example,  was not normal or natural; can you believe that? No wonder our society is sliding into the cesspit of depravity.

We live in a culture where happy is the ultimate state. If you're not happy there's a pill for that. Happiness is fleeting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

We live in a culture where happy is the ultimate state. If you're not happy there's a pill for that. Happiness is fleeting.

You might find this interesting X, on Ekman's Atlas of most natural emotions of the 5, four are negative and happiness isn't even on it, enjoyment is. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You might find this interesting X, on Ekman's Atlas of most natural emotions of the 5, four are negative and happiness isn't even on it, enjoyment is. 

Makes sense. I find enjoyment in a lot of things, being happy, it's just a momentary rush of dopamine. Where is Davros?

• Like 2

Oh to really hate an individual specifically for their own BS, that is the good hate.  Their is a jerk in San Jose driving a maroon early 60's Chevy Nova.  I moved away years ago but God, I hate him so much.

Hatred and anger actually kill brain cells.

The feeling of compassion is the chemical catalyst helping to create new brain cells.

Love is a higher, more powerful, unifying, heathy and Spiritual vibration. 

Forgiving oneself and others will set us free to love unconditionally and set us back on the pathway Home.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Hatred and anger actually kill brain cells.

The feeling of compassion is the chemical catalyst helping to create new brain cells.

Love is a higher, more powerful, unifying, heathy and Spiritual vibration. 

Forgiving oneself and others will set us free to love unconditionally and set us back on the pathway Home.

Citation required for the bold.

Love and compassion are various level of dopamine and serotonin. 

serotonin-and-dopamine.gif

Anger and hatred probably give people some temporary rush. But that's not really happiness. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Citation required for the bold.

Love and compassion are various level of dopamine and serotonin. 

serotonin-and-dopamine.gif

As a science guy you know all about neuroplasticity How every single thought creates a neurological pathway, chemicals and electrical pulses. This is what I mean when I said that thoughts effect matter. The placebo effect is the mind healing the body. Period. 

The longer we think about the same thing and putting them into practice, like learning a musical instrument, the more established these pathways become. Until a "master" musician barely has to think, they are in the moment, in the zone, they have become one with their instrument.

Allowing anger to ferment will only increase the likelihood of ever more powerful outbursts and other, more serious consequences.

OCD is another learnt mental psychosis, for want of a better term. People repeating the same action because of some reasoning, feeling comfortable within a known space, yet in reality they are in an entrapment by ones own mind and body.

You may think that anger and hatred can make you happy but in reality you are setting yourself up for a fall/fool.

The best way I have found to deal with any angry thoughts and feelings, is to recognise them before just letting them go. I don't judge them, there is no guilt, just a recognition and a letting go.

I have found that if you don't feed these negative emotions, then they either loose interest in you, inverse neuroplasticity, or they simple die a natural death. As we all do!

The studies you asked for were on rats and monkeys only, look them up.

• Like 2

In philosophy..happiness translates the Greek concept of eudaimonia,and refers to the good life,or flourishing,rather than simply an emotion.....

• Like 2

I'd rather have my moment of anger, get it over with, and feel better after. Than let those feels turn into a double shot of rage. You forgot about the placebo effects evil twin the nocebo effect. Just as "positive" thoughts can affect the body, so do "negative" thoughts. Happiness itself is a fleeting emotion. It hits and vanishes fast, leaving a lot of people hungry for more. Within a balanced person, all emotions have there moments. They come and go. 

• Like 3

Socrates' two cents :

~

And the same may be said of lust and anger and all the other affections, of desire and pain and pleasure. . . . poetry feeds and waters the passions instead of drying them up; she lets them rule, although they ought to be controlled, if mankind are ever to increase in happiness and virtue.

~

~

• Like 2

Anger and hate are stressful.   But it does seem to feel good to blow off a little steam once in awhile?

crying can be a release as well?

i guess experiencing experiencing some unhappiness helps us understand and appreciate happiness more?

• Like 1

On 08/17/2017 at 7:14 AM, Still Waters said:

People are happier if they are able to feel emotions they desire - even if those emotions are unpleasant, such as anger and hatred, a study suggests.

The results of the study, compiled by an international team of researchers, found happiness is "more than simply feeling pleasure and avoiding pain".

Researchers asked participants what emotions they desired and felt.

This was then compared to how they rated their overall happiness, or life satisfaction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40900811

When the anger is healthy?
One of the most negative in all of the emotions-coming right from the lymbic primitive part of the brain the anger is almost uncontrollable and its effects can be unpredictable.
But recent researches point out that repressing or even suppressing anger invariably results in considerable damage to the nervous system.
One of these studies is carried out by Harvard Study of Adult Development from the Harvard University, USA.
The research consisted in monitoring the lives of 824 male adults and female since 1965.
They noticed people overrepressing their frustrations are 3 times more likely to giving up their careers and developing a tendency to disregard their personal emotional lives.
While people who learned how to explore and channel their anger showed a tendency to get settled down in their professional lives and even in their sentimental and emotional lives.

Is it possible to go on living without emotions? Emotions are reactions, aren't they? And are reactions actual? Can we consider emotions belonging to reality? One wonders, one laughs, one reacts, one enjoys nature, one listens to music and this very listening is a reaction, isn't it? Yes, one reacts to the melody, one resonates to what is being said, to the letter, to the show put on by the band. All that thrilling feeling to belong to something, to be part of something, something shared by many, an ecstatic sensation to be fitting in, and be just like one mingled in the whole, having the blessings of a mystic atmosphere a collective mind provides. It is not like so among the savages into a deep forest, those ancient rites of passage, don't they provide the same fulfilling feeling, the feeling of completion, to be satisfied just like a cozy and warm baby in the womb? Why exchanging such a feeling of security the tribe provides for a lonely journey towards nowhere? There's a mechanism behind emotions that includes memories, tradition. Is it really possible to live without emotions? Is true love just an emotion? Is there actually a 'true love'?

Edited by Tonite T
grammar

I'm an easy-going, live-and-let-live type of person but there are people and things that occasionally make me angry and people and things that I hate.  I believe it's healthy and beneficial to have a little bit of hate and anger inside you.  Studies have also shown that we require a certain level of stress in our lives to prevent us from becoming depressed and anxious.  

The entire supposition is a slippery slope, however, like the recent studies concluding that alcohol in moderation is actually beneficial to health.  It is unhealthy to be obsessed with anger just as it is certainly unhealthy to abuse alcohol.    

• Like 1

Anger is a lot like a fart. Sometimes you've got to just let it out, maybe make a big stink and say "sorry" if necessary. Afterwards you always feel better.:lol:

Conventionality does not rock eventually. Anger can be healthy. I will rephrase. Expressing anger may teach bullying individuals to respect your emotional space.

Repressing suppressing anger may be deleterious to your health.

Of course you need to keep anger under a controlled leash.

I work for two schools full time on a daily basis. I do not have to take liberties to everyone.

You owe people respect not friendship. You do not necessarily have to get along well with everybody.

You do not have to beg people s understanding.

You will not have the entire degree of approval from a group of people.

I doubt someone ever had 100 per cent of social approval.

Edited by Tonite T
grammar
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Anger is a lot like a fart. Sometimes you've got to just let it out, maybe make a big stink and say "sorry" if necessary. Afterwards you always feel better.:lol:

• Like 1