Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost at Gettysburg?

susieice

Thanks for sharing that one. As one who is very interested in the paranormal and the Civil War this one is particularly fascinating to me. The ghost just disappeared. I wonder if he was Union or Confederate. 

That Gettysburg Battlefield seems heavily charged with paranormal energies from multiple high quality reports I've heard over the years. I went there several years back but just in the daytime as a historical tourist (no thoughts of ghost hunting).

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

It's supposed to be one of the most haunted sites in the world. Hear a lot of reports coming out of there, including from Park Rangers.

• Like 3

That park is nice, kind of cluttered though. Wish I could tell exactly where that scene is.

• Like 1

I've been there (Gettysburg) and it most definitely has a very surreal feel to the place. Interesting video, is there any way to tell if the 'ghost' was actually there or put into the video after the fact?

• Like 1

Gettysburg has the main monuments dedicated by the states that fought there, but there are many smaller monuments erected to specific units from every state placed throughout the park where that unit fought. Even in the most remote areas that are not easily accessed by the public. In patches of trees and in fields you find markers of different confederate and union units. Cannons are all along different battle lines. I don't know where it is. I know where the devil's den is. They said they were going there. That's down in front of little round top. I love Gettysburg. Often picniced there with family. Heard many stories, but never had anything but the feeling like Lilly said. What happened there is very emotional and sacred.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

The dialogue makes me suspicious though. :whistle:

Why? Sounded like normal stuff to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Why? Sounded like normal stuff to me.

Sounded like it was poorly acted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

Sounded like it was poorly acted. 

Acted? Sounded normal to me.

Ah jeez. The fakery on this one is laughable, including the odd, scripted dialog that sounds like they're reading off cards. I'm more surprised at how many folks in this thread isn't even questioning this. These guys barely even made an effort to conceal the fakeness. It's almost makes me believe they might be trolling. Anyone who didn't get any red flags, i'd venture to say their observation skills are lacking. If i were trying to prove the paranormal, this video WOULD NOT be the one i'd embarrass myself with.I almost feel embarrassed for the folks who believe this crock of.....

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, xxxdemonxxx said:

Ah jeez. The fakery on this one is laughable, including the odd, scripted dialog that sounds like they're reading off cards. I'm more surprised at how many folks in this thread isn't even questioning this. These guys barely even made an effort to conceal the fakeness. It's almost makes me believe they might be trolling. Anyone who didn't get any red flags, i'd venture to say their observation skills are lacking. If i were trying to prove the paranormal, this video WOULD NOT be the one i'd embarrass myself with.I almost feel embarrassed for the folks who believe this crock of.....

This false bravado and claimed certainty is what I find laughable. Such bold certainty is often a sign of masked uncertainty. Any intelligent opinion would not sound so certain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

This false bravado and claimed certainty is what I find laughable. Such bold certainty is often a sign of masked uncertainty. Any intelligent opinion would not sound so certain.

The dialogue threw up some flags for me however when the SHTF you never really know how you're going to react, no matter how many times youve been there, so I think its a bit disingenuous to point to their voices as some sort of proof of fakery. 

I don't know. Today people can fake such things so easily. It might be real, it might not be real.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The dialogue threw up some flags for me however when the SHTF you never really know how you're going to react, no matter how many times youve been there, so I think its a bit disingenuous to point to their voices as some sort of proof of fakery. 

I respect your more moderate opinion. I didn't feel any particular flags myself. But in so many of these cases it  seems to me a faker is going through a lot of effort for very little attention anyway (and much of that negative). I think the outright 'fake' explanation is probably overused myself in today's climate. Gettysburg has so many quality stories coming from there, that I lean to believing this one genuine at this time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlienzTruth said:

I don't know. Today people can fake such things so easily. It might be real, it might not be real.

Seems many are placing paranormal investigators/experiencers at the level of lawyers, used car salesmen, etc.. I don't feel that way.

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I think the outright 'fake' explanation is probably overused myself in today's climate.

I totally agree, I hate the argument that just because it could be faked, it must be faked. 

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Gettysburg has so many quality stories coming from there, that I lean to believing this one genuine at this time.

There are some great stories and videos from there , I went as a young child but would love to go back again sometime with an eye on the paranormal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlienzTruth said:

That's the whole problem. Things can be so easily faked. But since right after the battle, so many stories have come out of there, you have to wonder if all of them could be made up.

• Like 1

Was just at Gettysburg a few days ago. Definitely surreal, but not the slightest twinge of paranormal. Maybe it's because I'm highly skeptical of ghostly phenomena? Odd that only believers seem to experience hauntings.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NChSh said:

Odd that only believers seem to experience hauntings.   

That's not actually true. I've been looking into this stuff for a long time and it is almost a cliché to start a story with.....I never believed in ghosts until one day <insert story>

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That's not actually true. I've been looking into this stuff for a long time and it is almost a cliché to start a story with.....I never believed in ghosts until one day <insert story>

They're usually people who are already more paranormally inclined. They pretty much believed beforehand...

• Like 3

Just now, Timonthy said:

They're usually people who are already more paranormally inclined. They pretty much believed beforehand...

?? so they're lying?

26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

?? so they're lying?

They think they were skeptical.

Remember this from a week ago:

She claimed to be a skeptic, but was definitely not.

As for OP video, much more likely CGI than a 'real' ghost video, and the dialogue is weird. It's also a 4+ year old clip, with no other information...

Edit 2: Watching the video on a PC monitor frame by frame, it definitely looks like it's a post production addition of the 'ghost'. And not hard to do either.

Edit 3: I found this unlisted YouTube video on the same guys channel as well, shows he was into video production around the same time...

Edited by Timonthy
Removed excess blank lines
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NChSh said:

Was just at Gettysburg a few days ago. Definitely surreal, but not the slightest twinge of paranormal. Maybe it's because I'm highly skeptical of ghostly phenomena? Odd that only believers seem to experience hauntings.   

Like maybe the sightings are formed mentally from their emotional state? The mind is capable of doing a lot of things. You can become so caught up in the emotions of what happened on a particular part of the battlefield and your mind begins to fill in some blanks.

This wouldn't cover any photography, but the oral stories could fall under this category.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

The thing I find suspicious is twice the one guy mentions " a lot of troops here." Then when a ghost that show up that looks like a "troop" they have no idea what it is, even though to us it looks clearly like a "troop."

• Like 4