Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The absence of evidence

Dejarma

On 11/19/2017 at 5:15 AM, SNR said:

I heard once that if you give some chimps a pen & a lot of paper long enough they would eventually write the entire workings of Shakespeare or something.

I heard that they get bored and wander off or something long before they do that.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, OntarioSquatch said:

For many here, having a closed mind is a way to eliminate the mental pain created by cognitive dissonance, i.e., the tug of war between compelling arguments existing on opposing sides. Based on that, I don’t expect to see any sort of unbiased debate here, as there are too many looking to debunk anything that contradicts the conclusion they subscribe to.

That statement is simply utter nonsense, clearly based on a biased position. The sad fact is that there are no compelling arguments from the side that believes in either ET visitation or even the belief that solid evidence has been brought forth for the existence of ET. None. Whatsoever. Face it.

All that is heard is whining when such is pointed out. So, please, get on with it. If such evidence existed you could easily silence everybody by providing it, instead of joining the choir of whiners that obviously has nothing to present to promote their beliefs except the crying over the obvious victimization over said lack of evidence and even more importantly, that the lack of said evidence is pointed out (how rude, I know).

Cheers,
Badeskov   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2017 at 1:35 AM, SNR said:

Dejarma.. We need to know what you consider hard evidence, real facts

You don't 'need' to know, but seeing you asked:

an artifact that's claimed to be of alien origin-- tested by real scientists who (after stringent testing) have no doubt that it's origin is not of this earth.. Or more to the point: 'definitely not made by humans'

that'll do for now;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 10:30 PM, Tatetopa said:

Greetings SNR.  I am not intending to put you down or or pretend to be more clever than you.  I am not a physicist or mathematician, barely a decent engineer.    If you are interested, I want to turn you on to information, there is a lot of it out there.  There are all sorts of books on astronomy, quantum mechanics, space travel that are written with the general public in mind that might help you further develop your own thoughts.  I read a lot of those or listen to books on CD's during my commute.  I could not follow the math in quantum mechanics, but I can follow the explanation when it is put in clear terms.  You might enjoy some of these.   People are putting math and engineering into what it would take to send a probe to nearby stars before 2030.  It would take 100 years or so with current technology.  Can the funding be obtained?  Its not cheap. Are you prepared to wait?  I believe the search is worth doing.  I will put money toward it either with taxes or donations.  I think it is that important, knowing that I will not live to see it.  It is a gift for our grandchildren or their kids.  

I am 99% certain that life, and intelligent life is out there somewhere.  There are also some great books on the evolution of life on earth.  From the solar system point of view, there are three rocky earth-like planets orbiting the sun. Mars lost most of its atmosphere and water, Venus experienced a runaway greenhouse effect.  Planetary scientists have a good idea of why each happened.  On top of that there are some good possibilities from the Saturnian moons.  So, we know for sure that 1 out of 3  earth-like planets in the solar system harbors intelligent life; that makes the odds pretty good. Until we make some sort of contact, I can't say 100% certain, even though the probabilities are staggering in favor of it.  Evidence so far has not been adequate to change that last 1% uncertainty.

I am not opposed to your opinion, I am 99% on your side.  

yes this is all true. everything youve written im sure ive seen on the bbc or other sources. i come across as very defensive and youve made your point. i have a driving liscence, i know the phonetic alphabet and i can juggle.. but sometimes struggle with spelling and granma

• Like 1

you know sod it i often think of the vast distances and rhe limited abiliries we have but im brave enough to say yes i believe something crazy happened long ago in prehistory to start a belief that in some form or another has survived (though it varies in time and name)..  god or gods the heavens.. we know the stories. stories that had such an impact that billions of people still follow them today. scientifically god doesnt exist but something clearly happened that was so important as to be spoke of forever. i mean has anyone identified god yet? 

is it possible that the billions are following clever beings that came to earth way back before even the sumrians and their ancestors.. beings that were physical like us but able to travel somehow. to teach us to guide us. its yes.. a possibility. eveything is a possibility if you think deep enough.

3 hours ago, SNR said:

yes this is all true. everything youve written im sure ive seen on the bbc or other sources. i come across as very defensive and youve made your point. i have a driving liscence, i know the phonetic alphabet and i can juggle.. but sometimes struggle with spelling and granma

Greetings. You got me there.  I can't juggle.  My father tried to teach me, he was pretty good.  I never got the hang of it.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2017 at 4:21 PM, Dejarma said:

It's great to believe- why not...
I did for many years until I started to look at it without the fantasy glasses on. I had to take mine off for a while to see what I was really looking at regarding the so called evidence. It seamed to be the logical thing to do due to the frustration of the lack of REAL proof/ evidence after (in my case) 40+ years of faith, hope & fantasy! Now they are off all the time. But I haven't thrown them away YET
For all the years us homosapiens have existed on this planet; not one piece of evidence has ever been submitted that would make a- <now skeptical> like my good self think again about ufos/ aliens & the supernatural in general. You know: <REAL EVIDENCE> -- not a story told by someone we should believe (via some form of lucrative media) because of who they are/ their position in life etc!> believe what you're told or don't kinda thing.
I'm here to find the truth/ real evidence of the supernatural in all it's diverse shapes & forms. Why are you here? Due to my opinions & approach; this is a question that's been asked of me many times over the years.
<the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence> is a phrase well used in discussions regarding ufos/ aliens & the supernatural. If you're here to try & find the truth via debate regarding the supernatural , as am I, then isn't it about time to re-evaluate this well used phrase?

What needs to happen or not happen or how long will it take, 10/100 years before the well used phrase will be: <the absence of evidence can only mean evidence of absence>?
By all means keep the fantasy glasses on when reading through this thread. But out of respect for different opinions & approaches at least take one lens out for some kinda balance. See how it goes;)

Peace.

dej...

This post speaks volumes about how confused your reasoning is. No, it's not time to re-evaluate the fact that the absence of evidence does not constitute evidence of absence. It IS time, however, for you to take a course on logic. I teach such a course and would be happy to help you wade through the material.

Edited by SeekTruth

5 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

I teach such a course

go away silly boy, or girl.. this is an old thread.. are you following me around? i've obviously had an effect on you in this place

Edited by Dejarma
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

go away silly boy, or girl.. this is an old thread.. are you following me around? i've obviously had an effect on you in this place

Nice edit. I'm just trying to help. You seem like a nice guy or gal deep down who wants to think more clearly and understand things better.

21 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Is this old thread worth reading?

• Haha 1