Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help the SETI Institute find extraterrestrial

alfa015

2 hours ago, alfa015 said:

Hi! I would like to show you how you can help the SETI Institute find extraterrestrial intelligence

How would someone feel if they were responsible for attracting an alien version of ISIS to this planet?

How would 'you' feel? Just out of interest...................

• Like 1

so let me understand; seti needs millions of gigabytes of processing power borrowing as such world wide computers. now this is a cool crowd sourcing !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

How would someone feel if they were responsible for attracting an alien version of ISIS to this planet?

How would 'you' feel? Just out of interest...................

more anal probing? 

It's not at all clear how merely listening for extraterrestrial signals, which is what the SETI @ Home Project does,  could attract 'an alien version of ISIS' to our planet. 

By the way, despite what the OP and the the video say, SETI @ Home is not a project of the SETI Institute.  It is  based at the University of California at Berkeley, and is an entirely separate organization from the SETI Institute. Please find a link to the SETI @ Home website, below:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bison said:

It's not at all clear how merely listening for extraterrestrial signals, which is what the SETI @ Home Project does,  could attract 'an alien version of ISIS' to our planet. 

Is it not possible an alien race will eventually know if a signal of theirs has been tapped into- & from where?

A music radio station will know how many people are tuned in... How do they know this?

5 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Is it not possible an alien race will eventually know if a signal of theirs has been tapped into- & from where?

No, most likely not.

5 hours ago, Dejarma said:

A music radio station will know how many people are tuned in... How do they know this?

By boxes people allow TV/radio stations to put in their houses so the radio/TV stations can monitor the listening and watching characteristics of a large number of listeners/viewers and thus estimate the total number of listeners/viewers with high statistical significance. A music radio station has no means of knowing simply by emitting radio waves, as that is a "one way street" so to speak. There is no feedback whatsoever.

Cheers,
Badeskov 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badeskov said:

No, most likely not.

most likely!!?? you've no idea what an alien race is capable of.. if they indeed exist of course;)

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

most likely!!?? you've no idea what an alien race is capable of.. if they indeed exist of course;)

No I do not know what an alien race is capable of, for sure. But if an alien race sends a signal it will be one way, unless they are already in communication with the receiving part and thus have established a two way communication channel. It is really basic physics. However, hence the most likely, maybe there is indeed a loophole somewhere.

Cheers,
Badeskov

19 minutes ago, badeskov said:

It is really basic physics

not when referring to stuff we have no idea about my friend!!!

you talk about loopholes= well yeah- maybe, exactly my point!

Cheers.

dej...

Edited by Dejarma

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

not when referring to stuff we have no idea about my friend!!!

you talk about loopholes= well yeah- maybe, exactly my point!

Cheers.

dej...

Hence the most likely.

Cheers,
Badeskov

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/8/2017 at 5:27 AM, qxcontinuum said:

so let me understand; seti needs millions of gigabytes of processing power borrowing as such world wide computers. now this is a cool crowd sourcing !

yes