Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?

UM-Bot

Well, we have about 900 drillers currently drilling fracking wells... It would not take that long to drill the holes. It may take time installing all the plumbing to get the water in there and steam out to turbines.

I hope they actually do this and its not a pipe dream, pun intended.

• Like 4

Perhaps some collaboration with the Icelandic Deep Drilling Project might expedite the process and application.

• Like 2

Hate to think it would be like sticking a pin in a balloon!! :wacko:

• Like 1

The volcano gets its heat from below the Earths surface, that is why the volcano exists to begin with. Every degree they draw out will be replenished from new heat rising so I am uncertain the plan would reduce chances of eruption. 

I do however agree putting that heat to work is a good idea. A geothermal tap would probably ruin the beauty of some areas of the park and affect tourism but that, imo, is secondary to energy needs.

• Like 3

ok people think about all that trapped thermal energy being released into the atmosphere. if the volcano erupts it wil cause global cooling, but if we extract that heat it will add to the heated water vapor in the earths atmosphere

8 hours ago, pbarosso said:

ok people think about all that trapped thermal energy being released into the atmosphere. if the volcano erupts it wil cause global cooling, but if we extract that heat it will add to the heated water vapor in the earths atmosphere

So????

Edited by Merc14

Can anyone cite an example of man successfully controlling a natural existing element of this magnitude, aside from from polluting vast amounts of natural element with garbage and toxins? Who do you suppose benefits from the fracking? Those left with poisoned water and earthquakes that are destroying their homes as we speak?

I hate to be pessimistic..lol..but having watched the results of the  last two and half  years in one county alone having 190 fracking wells...the truth must be known.

It was halted just before Trump became president due to the obvious connection. The earthquakes slowed almost a halt. As soon as it became apparent Trump was in, and de-regulation was forthcoming,  the fracking resumed...and so did the earthquakes. I am simply a realist.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, christine007 said:

Can anyone cite an example of man successfully controlling a natural existing element of this magnitude, aside from from polluting vast amounts of natural element with garbage and toxins? Who do you suppose benefits from the fracking? Those left with poisoned water and earthquakes that are destroying their homes as we speak?

The Hoover damn is a good one.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, AZDZ said:

The volcano gets its heat from below the Earths surface, that is why the volcano exists to begin with. Every degree they draw out will be replenished from new heat rising so I am uncertain the plan would reduce chances of eruption. 

I do however agree putting that heat to work is a good idea. A geothermal tap would probably ruin the beauty of some areas of the park and affect tourism but that, imo, is secondary to energy needs.

We had a discussion about using volcanos to produce electricity about a year ago in here. I'm glad someone with clout thought of it as well.  One item though, won't the electric plant have to be somewhere nearby to make efficient use of the steam to run the turbines to produce the electricity?  If the Federal Government gets in the electricity business they can put there profits to pay down the deficit. Like that would really happen.  There's no way an electric palnt will be build in or near Yellowstone.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 7:30 AM, Trenix said:

They should test this on a smaller volcano before trying it on a supervolcano.

Ya think? I mean...it sounds great in theory, and then you imagine what might happen. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 3:25 AM, christine007 said:

This is not fraking as you are thinking, it uses similar technology but it should be fully clean

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

We had a discussion about using volcanos to produce electricity about a year ago in here. I'm glad someone with clout thought of it as well.  One item though, won't the electric plant have to be somewhere nearby to make efficient use of the steam to run the turbines to produce the electricity?  If the Federal Government gets in the electricity business they can put there profits to pay down the deficit. Like that would really happen.  There's no way an electric palnt will be build in or near Yellowstone.

If a power plant is installed and its profitable someone will make it lose money, so privates corporations can " make it" profitable, cause states dont know how to run stuff, or like I like to call it corruption

On 8/21/2017 at 0:42 PM, paperdyer said:

One item though, won't the electric plant have to be somewhere nearby to make efficient use of the steam to run the turbines to produce the electricity?

Yes, thus...

On 8/19/2017 at 8:59 AM, AZDZ said:

On 8/21/2017 at 0:42 PM, paperdyer said:

There's no way an electric palnt will be build in or near Yellowstone.

No, it probably wouldn't.

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Sounds great.....but I keep getting an image of a bursting balloon...

Well that is going to happen regardless so.....

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Nzo said:

Well, we have about 900 drillers currently drilling fracking wells... It would not take that long to drill the holes. It may take time installing all the plumbing to get the water in there and steam out to turbines.

I hope they actually do this and its not a pipe dream, pun intended.

Fracking is actually done by a separate company using different equipment.  Frackers are not drillers.

BUT, there are some unemployed drillers and rough necks out there.

The other detail is that we would probably have about 40 years' warning that an eruption could be imminent.  No need to rush into this.

Doug

• Like 1