Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USS Indianapolis wreckage found

The Caspian Hare

Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sunk cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.

Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist, led a search team, assisted by historians from the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) in Washington, D.C., to accomplish what past searches had failed to do – find Indianapolis, considered the last great naval tragedy of World War II.

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/19/uss-indianapolis-wreckage-found

• Like 2

Interesting to speculate how history might have worked out if she'd been sunk before she'd delivered the Bomb to Tinian. 

• Like 1

My post didn't work when i tried so here we go again. Causes of death...wasn't this also one of the worst incidents about shark attacks?

The film "USS Indianapolis - Men of Courage" stars Nicolas Cage is about the sinking of the ship, and yes there are lots of sharks!

Edited by EBE Hybrid

The film "USS Indianapolis - Men of Courage" stars Nicolas Cage is about the sinking of the ship, and yes there are lots of sharks!

Edited by EBE Hybrid
re-posted in error, sorry

Good find of a great vessel and crew.  I hope more comes out of this than a movie with Nick Cage.  While the movie is a tribute to the crew and vessel, something as fleeting as a movies just seems inadequate. Should we call Geraldo a while?  There has to be some type of safe in the wreckage he can make a TV special out of.

• 4 years later...

I believe that the story of the Indianapolis was also mentioned in a famous movie.

JAWS!!!