Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What role did Russia play in the Civil War?

Farmer77

What role did Russia play in the U.S. Civil War?

Russian-American relations were not always so bitter and tense as now. During the American Civil War, Russia supported the Union primarily because its main geopolitical enemy at that time was Great Britain, which was sympathetic to the Confederacy. In addition, the U.S. and Russia had enjoyed good relations in the first half of the 19th century even though they had very different political systems.

I love learning new things! I had no idea. 

So they'll have played a part in both civil wars then. :ph34r:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Nah, this uncivil war won't escalate into a real one. 

Not that there aren't those who want it, but they are apparently not able to start it, let alone win it. 

That's interesting.

France was always getting ready to back he confederacy until the emancipation proclimation was passed 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Russia isn't the cause of the chaos we're seeing in the US.  It's the radical Left/Globalist groups who are inciting the violence.  Most Americans want nothing to do with any of it but I think the tempo and seriousness of the violence will be pushed up until the fire takes hold.  If we allow that, then we are to blame for the outcome.

• Like 1

Jeez. It was only a joke. And, and then, you've got a cheek to call anyone a radical when you just elected one.

• Like 1

Ooohh...let me play, Trump obviously jumped into his hot tub time machine and zipped back to the Civil War where he colluded with Russia in an attempt to help the Confederacy. But, Abe Lincoln vampire slayer extraordinaire thawarted Trump's nefarious plan!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

Russia isn't the cause of the chaos we're seeing in the US.  It's the radical Left/Globalist groups who are inciting the violence.  Most Americans want nothing to do with any of it but I think the tempo and seriousness of the violence will be pushed up until the fire takes hold.  If we allow that, then we are to blame for the outcome.

I got the same impression. Which is what matters the most and is absolutely great. 

But, do you think you're not pushing it up with blaming the left only, even after 45 blamed both sides? 

edit: forgot the topic. sorry. the topic. Russia today shares very little with Russia back then, obviously and naturally. Apart from being interesting detail from history, it can't be used to draw any conclusions regarding the future, except very general one, that alliances do change over time. And when they change overnight, it's usually not a good sign. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy

I really was just trying to share what I thought was a neat piece of history that I learned for the first time today. :unsure:

• Like 5

Just now, Helen of Annoy said:

I got the same impression. Which is what matters the most and absolutely great. 

But, do you think you're not pushing it up with blaming the left only, even after 45 blamed both sides? 

What I have seen since his election is that the political left and their supporters with money and power have made an all-out effort to remove a duly elected president.  I bear no brief nor any support for racist skinhead neo Nazi types.  My only point is that came later to this party.  AFTER Antifa and the like began causing disturbances and spreading hate around the country.  That doesn't attempt to excuse their hate, it just corrects the chronology a bit.  I truly believe that there is a group that is backing these protests and they won't stop until a general, simmering violence takes root in the country.  It's the duty of every American to fight against being duped into destroying our own country.

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I really was just trying to share what I thought was a neat piece of history that I learned for the first time today. :unsure:

It IS a neat piece of history.  I'd never heard of them having any impact on that war at all.

• Like 1

Just now, and then said:

It IS a neat piece of history.  I'd never heard of them having any impact on that war at all.

Whew! the way noone was talking about it I was beginning to fear I was the slow kid in class and everyone already knew about it!  

.....Thats a big old softball down the middle you dont need to swing at :D

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, and then said:

What I have seen since his election is that the political left and their supporters with money and power have made an all-out effort to remove a duly elected president.  I bear no brief nor any support for racist skinhead neo Nazi types.  My only point is that came later to this party.  AFTER Antifa and the like began causing disturbances and spreading hate around the country.  That doesn't attempt to excuse their hate, it just corrects the chronology a bit.  I truly believe that there is a group that is backing these protests and they won't stop until a general, simmering violence takes root in the country.  It's the duty of every American to fight against being duped into destroying our own country.

Bannon came after Antifa disturbances? Nope. No one will believe you that. 

I fully agree with your last sentence, only I think that was already done - you were slightly mislead into voting for a person who doesn't seem competent or patriotic. At least looking from the outside. The guy is a complete disaster. No wonder Russians backed him up. 

Which brings me back to the topic. But not in a good way. Russia will, naturally, support countries and sides that match her current interests and direction. Back then, she supported the progressive side. All that's left is nostalgia.