Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange smell of watermelon

Alissa

My husband and I are in bed settling down for the night. As usual, I'm drinking my glass of milk when out of no where I get a whiff of watermelon! It has never happened before. I've been trying to google different things trying to fingure out what it could be but I can't find anything. I feel like I'm going crazy! When I smelled it I kept telling my husband "I smell watermelon! Do you smell it?" And he said no. Any answers/opinions would help. Thank you in advance! 

• Like 1

New lotion or shampoo? Fabric softener? Something from outside? Some residue in the glass?  So many possibilities.

• Like 2

If it keeps happening I recommend making an appointment with your doctor. Could be medical.  

• Like 1

It's not that uncommon, especially as you get older, for 'phantom' smells to happen.  Don't worry about it, unless it is accompanied with loss of the ability to detect smells, or a particular smell happens often.  If it does, your friendly GP/doctor can look up the chemical compounds that cause the watermelon smell  and then see if they are involved with any body chemistry issues or medical conditions you might have.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alissa said:

My husband and I are in bed settling down for the night. As usual, I'm drinking my glass of milk when out of no where I get a whiff of watermelon! It has never happened before. I've been trying to google different things trying to fingure out what it could be but I can't find anything. I feel like I'm going crazy! When I smelled it I kept telling my husband "I smell watermelon! Do you smell it?" And he said no. Any answers/opinions would help. Thank you in advance! 

Husband probably had a crafty fart  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I had it happen with Strawberry body spray, a few years back only once it happened. I'm the only female in my home and had nothing fake Strawberry scented at the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seeder said:

Husband probably had a crafty fart  :lol:

Watermelon flavoured fart is a pretty good talent...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So the other day, my fiance and I also just started smelling watermelon. Mostly on ourselves. We can't figure out what the scent is or where it's coming from. At first we thought it was just on me, and getting on him from me. Then (because we currently live apart) I discussed that I'd been smelling that watermelon smell a lot more lately, and it's not him. He tells me he's still smelling it too, so it's both of us? What is happening? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, General Silverwolf said:

So the other day, my fiance and I also just started smelling watermelon. Mostly on ourselves. We can't figure out what the scent is or where it's coming from. At first we thought it was just on me, and getting on him from me. Then (because we currently live apart) I discussed that I'd been smelling that watermelon smell a lot more lately, and it's not him. He tells me he's still smelling it too, so it's both of us? What is happening? 

Do you have a small living space? 

• 11 months later...

So, last night I smelled something I identified as an outside smell. My older brother said it smelled like watermelon. I just read the last comment and now I'm lowkey afraid to sleep.

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2019 at 6:40 PM, General Silverwolf said:

So the other day, my fiance and I also just started smelling watermelon. Mostly on ourselves

Sure you didn't sneak out to da club.

• Haha 1

"There's much more to life than meets the eye".  Our senses are there for a reason, if you smell something you simply are smelling some-thing, but I dont have answers as to what it is, or where it comes from or why. I think it is more common than people admit and of course everyone wants scientific proof of every little thing. 

We sometimes smell apples and very little fruit comes through our doors, a banana or two once in great awahile but never apples. There are no apple trees around here for miles and miles either.

On the other hand, it could be possible that one of your neighbor's down wind from you, had just cut into a fresh watermelon. I know sometimes I can smell my neighbors food and we live in houses and her house is not that close to ours. Idk just a thought.

8 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

"There's much more to life than meets the eye".  Our senses are there for a reason, if you smell something you simply are smelling some-thing, but I dont have answers as to what it is, or where it comes from or why. I think it is more common than people admit and of course everyone wants scientific proof of every little thing. 

We sometimes smell apples and very little fruit comes through our doors, a banana or two once in great awahile but never apples. There are no apple trees around here for miles and miles either.

On the other hand, it could be possible that one of your neighbor's down wind from you, had just cut into a fresh watermelon. I know sometimes I can smell my neighbors food and we live in houses and her house is not that close to ours. Idk just a thought.

I live in the city

19 minutes ago, RiverDreams said:

I live in the city

I lived in a few different apartment complexes and in and out of the city in my younger years, and I could smell when some of them were cutting onions, and I could tell you when they were having tuna for lunch and at times what they were having for supper, also I could smell when one of them needed to take out the trash. lol - and a lot of times other people who were with me could not smell it. Another thing I can smell easily is  poatchouli when others can not. I think some people have extra sensory abilities with, sight, sound and smell fof whatever reasons, I dont know. nd if they have these things other senses I think most of them also are sensitive in other areas of their senses. 

Edited by Jujo-jo

On 8/21/2017 at 3:25 AM, Alissa said:

Bad teeth? If not bad teeth doctor visit time.