Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

There won't always be total solar eclipses

UM-Bot

I struggle to accept that there may be a God because of the terrible things that happen to people.
But the fact that the Moon is just the right size and distance from the Earth to just perfectly eclpise the Sun.....It's difficult not to wonder if some kind of design and planning played a part in it all

• Like 1

I've always said that we're (insert  deity here) ants in a huge ant farm.

17 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

I struggle to accept that there may be a God because of the terrible things that happen to people.
But the fact that the Moon is just the right size and distance from the Earth to just perfectly eclpise the Sun.....It's difficult not to wonder if some kind of design and planning played a part in it all

Terrible things do happen to people but it's other people who make them suffer, not animals, not gods, not aliens... When you look at it, human kind is alien on this planet, our place in the wild would be lost, we would perish if we had not advanced in tool making etc while any other life form on this planet has natural means of fighting for survival, we do it with tools.

Then, how many living beings, which haven't even seen the sunlight in their short lives, how many of them are slaughtered every day in food industry, in clothing industry... Money has become central part of our lives and, as time goes by, we'll need to slaughter even more animals to make those profits. We are devils on this planet. Nubian desert sand snake has better claim over this planet than we do, it's perfect organism fit to live in harmony with it's surroundings and it will live, untill we find the way to make profit over those desert lands. If there is a God we will be punished and all these wrongs which happen to people aren't even 1% of wrongs that people have done and are doing every day to hundreds of other living beings, humans included. It's pathetic how we act, we act as victims but meanwhile we victimize millions of animals and people, we cry when terrorists kill people in Europe but we laugh and do not reckognize when the same terrorists kill hundreds in other countries. Wolves have feelings, we just act that we do, most of the time. 

Sorry for longer post, with so much lies and wrongs done especially in world wars and after break up of Soviet Union i think we do not deserve this planet, it's all lies and the world is focused of removing common sense from people as whole. In the end, we shall become worst animal, maybe something as an Raptor from dinosaur period.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Terrible things do happen to people but it's other people who make them suffer, not animals, not gods, not aliens... When you look at it, human kind is alien on this planet, our place in the wild would be lost, we would perish if we had not advanced in tool making etc while any other life form on this planet has natural means of fighting for survival, we do it with tools.

Then, how many living beings, which haven't even seen the sunlight in their short lives, how many of them are slaughtered every day in food industry, in clothing industry... Money has become central part of our lives and, as time goes by, we'll need to slaughter even more animals to make those profits. We are devils on this planet. Nubian desert sand snake has better claim over this planet than we do, it's perfect organism fit to live in harmony with it's surroundings and it will live, untill we find the way to make profit over those desert lands. If there is a God we will be punished and all these wrongs which happen to people aren't even 1% of wrongs that people have done and are doing every day to hundreds of other living beings, humans included. It's pathetic how we act, we act as victims but meanwhile we victimize millions of animals and people, we cry when terrorists kill people in Europe but we laugh and do not reckognize when the same terrorists kill hundreds in other countries. Wolves have feelings, we just act that we do, most of the time. 

Sorry for longer post, with so much lies and wrongs done especially in world wars and after break up of Soviet Union i think we do not deserve this planet, it's all lies and the world is focused of removing common sense from people as whole. In the end, we shall become worst animal, maybe something as an Raptor from dinosaur period.

We inhabit a wonderous universe and live on a perfectly crafted planet. If we are Gods children I can't understand why God allows us to commit such brutal acts against ourselves and this beautiful world. Maybe God saw the way his children grew into what we are and decided to turn his back on us

• Like 1

Can we, please, stay on topic. Please, guys/girls, move religious/metaphysical stuff elsewhere.

Me, personally, I'd love to see solar eclipse back one or two billion years ago. That would've been really scary. Moon was way more closer to the Earth back then - ultimate eclipse.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that we are the only planet in the solar system that CAN have a total solar eclipse based on the diameter of the moon and the distance to the sun, causing both to appear nearly identical in size when viewed from the earth. But since the sun would appear smaller the farther out into the solar system you go, perhaps one of the other planet's moons could cover the disc of the sun as it appears on that planet. 

I realize it's just mathematics, but it still amazes me that they can predict these events with so much accuracy. We have a written history and scientific knowledge of such events, but imagine how terrifying it would have been to the ancients to see the sun disappear at midday, not knowing whether it would ever come back. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2017 at 2:58 AM, Sundew said:

It is my understanding that we are the only planet in the solar system that CAN have a total solar eclipse based on the diameter of the moon and the distance to the sun, causing both to appear nearly identical in size when viewed from the earth. But since the sun would appear smaller the farther out into the solar system you go, perhaps one of the other planet's moons could cover the disc of the sun as it appears on that planet. 

That is a very good question, does anyone on UM have an answer

because the moon is slowly moving away from earth.

Edited by The Silver Thong