Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Floyd Mayweather vs. Connor McGregor

Dark_Grey

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Dark_Grey said:

Now that the ball-gag is out of my mouth I can comment again.

My quick take on the fight:

I think Floyd was playing puppet-master once he realized Connor's power was exaggerated. What surprised me most about the fight was just that - Connor's inability to wobble someone 20 lbs lighter and 10 years older than him. The ONLY thing that gave this fight any credence was the slim chance that Connor would land his "legendary" lead left and Floyd Mayweather Jr. would see stars. Well, not only did Connor land his left, he landed a flush uppercut to Floyd's chin. 

DINYmy5_Ws_AAKISO.jpg

You all saw the fight...what happened? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Floyd was smiling through half of Connor's punches, guys. Smiling! As drunk as I was at the time, I remember even commenting on how this looks like Floyd just sparring in training. Once he felt a few of Connor's punches his whole demeanor changed and he almost seemed to relax and, dare I say, have fun with it. 

Connor was working his ass off. He gets huge props for landing shots and winning a few rounds against TBE - stats say he landed more blows on Floyd than a lot of other previous fighters! 

This. Connor even said post-fight that he tends to gas-out the same way every time but he just "thinks and works through it" until he gets that second wind. I'm thinking it may be some kind of Asthma? With the cardio he was doing, he SHOULD have been in 8 or 9 round shape, if not 12 round shape. The way he consistently gasses, though...it does make you wonder what's going on there. Ultimately, it stopped him from going the full 12. Well, technically Floyd stopped him (with ease,) once Connor was so tired he literally couldn't keep his hands up. I think the ref made a good call - part of his job is to prevent brain trauma and that's where Connor was headed. Another 2 rounds of Floyd effing Mayweather painting pictures on his face? Nope. The ref saved his brain and his ego.

My take away from this event is that boxers hit harder and take more damage than MMA guys. Connor is the UFC's best striker throwing the same hands that dropped MMA champions. Little Floyd just ate them up and laid a skill clinic on him like he does it every day. Thoughts on that? Am I in the ballpark here? Talking just hands, are boxers better at taking the punishment or has Connor's power been greatly exaggerated and the guys he dropped had glass jaws?

I'm glad neither of them got rocked too bad. I was enjoying the fight for what it was, leaning slightly to Floyd cause I wanted him to retire 50-0 and truly become a legend in the sport. What's next for Connor? He's got world class boxing skills now but also enough cash to tell the UFC off. Hmm...

I gotta disagree with this in part. I think MMA guys take way more damage then boxers do. You could get hit with a knee, an elbow a foot etc. Plus they use 4 ounce gloves. I've seen many MMA fights, and it isn't uncommon for guys to be bleeding all over the place, and they still don't stop the fights over it. Heck Connor beat Diaz to a bloody pulp in the first 3 rounds both times. If that was a boxing match, they would have stopped it.

Aside from that, I pretty much agree with everything else you said.

Floyd showed what a master he is in the boxing ring, and has a rock for a chin.

Edited by preacherman76

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I gotta disagree with this in part. I think MMA guys take way more damage then boxers do. You could get hit with a knee, an elbow a foot etc.

That's why I added the caveat

Am I in the ballpark here? Talking just hands, are boxers better at taking the punishment or has Connor's power been greatly exaggerated and the guys he dropped had glass jaws?

as for

Floyd showed what a master he is in the boxing ring, and has a rock for a chin.

Going in to the fight, there was a lot of doubt regarding Floyd's chin. Clearly, he put those opinions to bed. I'm still shocked at how easily he took those blows. Some say Connor was pulling his punches for a fixed fight but that's a thread for another day...

I think in terms of 1 shot damage MMA fighters have the potential to do more (see cyborgs forehead x ray after taking a knee, any cro cop head kick, etc). I think football does as well though and could surpass MMA. Slant routes are treacherous. 

Edited by internetperson