Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Floyd Mayweather vs. Connor McGregor

Dark_Grey

1 hour ago, CrimsonKing said:

Unlike fellow fighter and at one time possible all time great John "Bones" Jones...Geez i can't believe that boneheaded fool just failed ANOTHER drug test after winning his title back from the same guy he failed against the first time! :wacko:

Jones had his own potential Mega fight being set up for next year against Brock Lesnar as soon as Lesnar's own USADA ban was up but...no more as Jones recent fail will likely result in a 4 year ban!...he may aswell start a new career...A real damn shame.

No wonder he was so aggressive in that fight. :blink: Poor Corm got smashed by that roid rage

• Like 3

Well tonights final weigh in will be broadcast live on FS1 and i'm sure all over the net at 5:00 pm...should be worth a few laughs :lol:

The betting odds have been flying all over the place but the last i saw Connor had far more bets placed on him to win at an average of 4-1,BUT 75% of ALL the money is being bet on Floyd...

Average amount bet on Connor $200....Average bet on Floyd around $8,000 :w00t:

That was according to espn yesterday,need to check the odds again today lol

eta

A $50k dollar bet and win on Connor would net you about the same as a $1 mil bet and win on Floyd would...around $250k

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Well tonights final weigh in will be broadcast live on FS1 and i'm sure all over the net at 5:00 pm...should be worth a few laughs :lol:

The betting odds have been flying all over the place but the last i saw Connor had far more bets placed on him to win at an average of 4-1,BUT 75% of ALL the money is being bet on Floyd...

Average amount bet on Connor $200....Average bet on Floyd around $8,000 :w00t:

That was according to espn yesterday,need to check the odds again today lol

eta

A $50k dollar bet and win on Connor would net you about the same as a $1 mil bet and win on Floyd would...around $250k

Right but is that on Connor to WIN or win rounds?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Right but is that on Connor to WIN or win rounds?

To win but...that was yesterday for 1 betting service...the real money will start flooding in after tonights weigh in,yesterday was the first 2 million dollar bets so the big hitters are just getting started lol

• Like 2

Connor seems "nervously confident" :lol:

Was a bit suprised Floyd weighed in so light!...almost 5 lbs under limit so he damn sure won't be "expanding" much before the fight.Connor weighed in just under the limit and looks like he WILL swell up...

Connor might be a good bit larger tomorrow night,those early rd odds went up a bit and as low as i had the later rd odds just went to the basement floor for Connor! :lol:

It's early or nothing!!!

• Like 2

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Hahaha that's awesome. Just like playing the lottery, you know what's gonna happen but you'll give it a shot anyway.

Regarding the Rhonda/Cyborg fight that never happened yeah that was a let down. I assume that was a strategic move though so that her golden goddess facade didn't get completely wrecked. My only hesitation on that call is that Carano had her in full mount. If she could do that then Rhonda damn sure could. That being said dunno if that was a fluke or not.

I dunno about recently but womens UFC is fun to watch, it kinda reminds me of early UFC which was basically real life Street Fighter.

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, internetperson said:

Hahaha that's awesome. Just like playing the lottery, you know what's gonna happen but you'll give it a shot anyway.

Regarding the Rhonda/Cyborg fight that never happened yeah that was a let down. I assume that was a strategic move though so that her golden goddess facade didn't get completely wrecked. My only hesitation on that call is that Carano had her in full mount. If she could do that then Rhonda damn sure could. That being said dunno if that was a fluke or not.

I dunno about recently but womens UFC is fun to watch, it kinda reminds me of early UFC which was basically real life Street Fighter.

Yeah man the bookies are kinda in wtf mode because if Connor pulls it off there is going to be some salty broke people in Vegas :lol:

While true,i think Cyborg has grown by leaps and bounds as a fighter since then...I miss Gina,she was hot lol

Yeah the womens division has come a long way since just 2 years back!

• Like 1

Well that lasted longer than I thought it would. 

Well that went exactly as expected. McGregor is way too aggressive for a boxing ring and Mayweather knew it. I predicted that McGregor would get disqualified but I'm glad I was wrong. 

Oh well. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Pretty good fight and i don't feel cheated outta $50 lol

Connor had a good showing and atleast proved he could hang with one of the best boxers on the planet...that said he needed about 3 more months prep time and someone to help him with his "in fighting" dude couldn't land in close space and his attempts to tie up were horrible!

If Connor decides to go back and stick with just mma all he's gotta do is really work on that gas tank and he can be possibly the best ever!

I saw the stoppage as justified aswell,sure Floyd wasn't really hurting Mac as much as Mac was just completely gassed and had his hands down at his waste...Even if not being hurt the ref has to protect a defenseless fighter.

This was good for both sports and this fight plus Joshua vs Klitschko,Ward vs Kovalev,and possibly next months GGG vs Canelo fight have made this year one of the best for boxing fans in a LONG time!

I had the fight 5 rds to 4 Mayweather in the lead at the time of the 10th rd stoppage...the first 3 and i believe the 7th or maybe 8th can't remember which,but as we talked about on here if he coulda landed a monster shot in those first 3 rds he may have made history!

• Like 2

I've just watched the Post-fight Press Conference and although it's painfully slow and boring for the most part, it more than makes up for it when Connor finally comes on. Ya gotta like the guy lol1.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I've just watched the Post-fight Press Conference and although it's painfully slow and boring for the most part, it more than makes up for it when Connor finally comes on. Ya gotta like the guy lol1.gif

Yeah the dude lives a pro wrestling like character,but after his fights win or lose you get a bit of a look behind the mask so to speak...He talks a lotta trash but the guy truly does respect combat sports and his opponents...unless your name happens to be jose aldo :lol:

• Like 2

That was a much better fight then I thought it was gonna be. I think the ref stopped it to early. 

Considering what all the boxing guys were saying, Connor earned a lot of respect last night. I definitely didn't see this going 10 rounds. I for damn sure didn't see Connor winning the first few rounds. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That was a much better fight then I thought it was gonna be. I think the ref stopped it to early. 

Considering what all the boxing guys were saying, Connor earned a lot of respect last night. I definitely didn't see this going 10 rounds. I for damn sure didn't see Connor winning the first few rounds. 

Stopped early yeah,but Connor was completely gassed and couldn't even throw back combined with the complete inability to tie up Floyd and with over a minute left on the clock...well the ref woulda took s*** for stopping it too late if he didn't stop it early.Kind of a damned if you do,damned if ya don't situation.

Connor definately earned a ton of respect,i thought the guy just took it for the money and would go in there clown around,get shown up,and make it a boring clinch fest...I had him making it a fight for the first 3 rds and forsaw the end after that,but when he won another rd after Floyd had taken over i was suprised and realized Connor really did train with the thought of winning that fight!

Of course though after seeing the judges score cards it didn't take a genius to know Connor wasn't going to be allowed a decision victory...Only 1 of the 3 had connor winning the first 3 rds,that is boxings biggest credibility problem...Judges!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Well that went exactly as expected. McGregor is way too aggressive for a boxing ring and Mayweather knew it. I predicted that McGregor would get disqualified but I'm glad I was wrong. 

Oh well. 

I wouldn't say he's too aggressive as many boxers can can put the pedal down longer than Connor did,it's his gas tank!...for some reason dudes cardio just isn't up to world class standards.

It's the same in the cage,against Diaz both times he was almost completely burned out after 3 rds...wrestling and takedown defense require a ton more energy than throwing punches does and even with shorter rds Connor still tired extremely quickly.and i'm even accounting for body shots and missed punches!

His conditioning routine needs to be seriously revamped or maybe checked for some type of medical condition...

Now that the ball-gag is out of my mouth I can comment again.

My quick take on the fight:

I think Floyd was playing puppet-master once he realized Connor's power was exaggerated. What surprised me most about the fight was just that - Connor's inability to wobble someone 20 lbs lighter and 10 years older than him. The ONLY thing that gave this fight any credence was the slim chance that Connor would land his "legendary" lead left and Floyd Mayweather Jr. would see stars. Well, not only did Connor land his left, he landed a flush uppercut to Floyd's chin. 

DINYmy5_Ws_AAKISO.jpg

You all saw the fight...what happened? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Floyd was smiling through half of Connor's punches, guys. Smiling! As drunk as I was at the time, I remember even commenting on how this looks like Floyd just sparring in training. Once he felt a few of Connor's punches his whole demeanor changed and he almost seemed to relax and, dare I say, have fun with it. 

Connor was working his ass off. He gets huge props for landing shots and winning a few rounds against TBE - stats say he landed more blows on Floyd than a lot of other previous fighters! 

On 8/27/2017 at 1:47 PM, CrimsonKing said:

His conditioning routine needs to be seriously revamped or maybe checked for some type of medical condition...

This. Connor even said post-fight that he tends to gas-out the same way every time but he just "thinks and works through it" until he gets that second wind. I'm thinking it may be some kind of Asthma? With the cardio he was doing, he SHOULD have been in 8 or 9 round shape, if not 12 round shape. The way he consistently gasses, though...it does make you wonder what's going on there. Ultimately, it stopped him from going the full 12. Well, technically Floyd stopped him (with ease,) once Connor was so tired he literally couldn't keep his hands up. I think the ref made a good call - part of his job is to prevent brain trauma and that's where Connor was headed. Another 2 rounds of Floyd effing Mayweather painting pictures on his face? Nope. The ref saved his brain and his ego.

My take away from this event is that boxers hit harder and take more damage than MMA guys. Connor is the UFC's best striker throwing the same hands that dropped MMA champions. Little Floyd just ate them up and laid a skill clinic on him like he does it every day. Thoughts on that? Am I in the ballpark here? Talking just hands, are boxers better at taking the punishment or has Connor's power been greatly exaggerated and the guys he dropped had glass jaws?

I'm glad neither of them got rocked too bad. I was enjoying the fight for what it was, leaning slightly to Floyd cause I wanted him to retire 50-0 and truly become a legend in the sport. What's next for Connor? He's got world class boxing skills now but also enough cash to tell the UFC off. Hmm...

• Like 1

This is kinda my take on the whole thing :P

sport-world-magazine-shock-of-the-century-worlds-best-boxer-27324030.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Connor is the UFC's best striker throwing the same hands that dropped MMA champions. Little Floyd just ate them up and laid a skill clinic on him like he does it every day. Thoughts on that? Am I in the ballpark here? Talking just hands, are boxers better at taking the punishment or has Connor's power been greatly exaggerated and the guys he dropped had glass jaws?

Striking and boxing in this sense are leagues apart. I'm no fighter but in my 2cents it goes back to what crimson was saying about being on the receiving end of leg kick and how footwork has to be overhauled which basically means everything else has to be as well. This is hard to do (basically impossible) when you've been training for a long time to keep your body synced in a particular way. Boxing is a great addition to MMA (I'm assuming) but I'm not aware of anything in MMA that is helpful in boxing. So boxing will help you win in UFC but BJJ/muay thai/whatever wont help your boxing and will probably hurt it in terms of technicality.

Anyway if they were to fight a stand up MMA fight (no grappling/wrestling) then Floyd would be screwed. 

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Now that the ball-gag is out of my mouth I can comment again.

My quick take on the fight:

I think Floyd was playing puppet-master once he realized Connor's power was exaggerated. What surprised me most about the fight was just that - Connor's inability to wobble someone 20 lbs lighter and 10 years older than him. The ONLY thing that gave this fight any credence was the slim chance that Connor would land his "legendary" lead left and Floyd Mayweather Jr. would see stars. Well, not only did Connor land his left, he landed a flush uppercut to Floyd's chin. 

DINYmy5_Ws_AAKISO.jpg

You all saw the fight...what happened? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Floyd was smiling through half of Connor's punches, guys. Smiling! As drunk as I was at the time, I remember even commenting on how this looks like Floyd just sparring in training. Once he felt a few of Connor's punches his whole demeanor changed and he almost seemed to relax and, dare I say, have fun with it. 

Connor was working his ass off. He gets huge props for landing shots and winning a few rounds against TBE - stats say he landed more blows on Floyd than a lot of other previous fighters! 

This. Connor even said post-fight that he tends to gas-out the same way every time but he just "thinks and works through it" until he gets that second wind. I'm thinking it may be some kind of Asthma? With the cardio he was doing, he SHOULD have been in 8 or 9 round shape, if not 12 round shape. The way he consistently gasses, though...it does make you wonder what's going on there. Ultimately, it stopped him from going the full 12. Well, technically Floyd stopped him (with ease,) once Connor was so tired he literally couldn't keep his hands up. I think the ref made a good call - part of his job is to prevent brain trauma and that's where Connor was headed. Another 2 rounds of Floyd effing Mayweather painting pictures on his face? Nope. The ref saved his brain and his ego.

My take away from this event is that boxers hit harder and take more damage than MMA guys. Connor is the UFC's best striker throwing the same hands that dropped MMA champions. Little Floyd just ate them up and laid a skill clinic on him like he does it every day. Thoughts on that? Am I in the ballpark here? Talking just hands, are boxers better at taking the punishment or has Connor's power been greatly exaggerated and the guys he dropped had glass jaws?

I'm glad neither of them got rocked too bad. I was enjoying the fight for what it was, leaning slightly to Floyd cause I wanted him to retire 50-0 and truly become a legend in the sport. What's next for Connor? He's got world class boxing skills now but also enough cash to tell the UFC off. Hmm...

Good assessment :tu:

Yeah as much credit that has been given to Connor,not much has been said about Floyd other than he won the fight...but you are correct!

Floyd being 40,much smaller,and coming off a 2 year layoff had no real problem taking care of the much larger,younger,more active fighter.I was however a lil bit suprised by Connor taking a rd after Floyd figured him out,probably just Floyds age showing a bit...

I really wondered how that "legendary" power would hold up in an 8oz glove compared to the 4oz Connor is used too and the answer is...not well!...GGG goes into bouts about the same size Connor was on fight night and if that was GGG hitting Floyd even with a 10-12oz glove Floyd would have lost his head lol.

As i've said before,i give Connor huge cred for doing aswell as he did...it takes balls to go from everything you know to a whole different song and dance against one of the best ever in 3 months time :w00t:

Yeah man it's not just that he gasses but HOW he gasses!...It can almost be timed and it's unusual for a top level athlete to have a complete "shut down" almost on the clock...Almost to a certain minute of pushing himself his whole body language changes and his face looks almost drained of blood and he goes pale,a pale even noticable in an Irishman!

You're not far off imo but it's kind of a "grey area"..MMA uses 4oz gloves with the padding distributed much differently,they are basically made for immediate concussive force as where boxing gloves cause more blunt force trauma...one little secret i will share is "strictly" mma guys don't take body shots very well,might just be boxers are more pinpoint on where that liver is but i learned this years back lol...Just 2 very different sports with strong and weak points and make no mistake in a cage,with 4oz gloves,with Floyd in a squared up stance worrying about takedowns,knees,kicks,ect...Floyd wouldn't last a whole 5 minute rd!

As for the stoppage again :tu:

I'd rather be knocked out cold after just 10 punches than be bluntly hit 100 times...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

As for the stoppage again :tu:

I'd rather be knocked out cold after just 10 punches than be bluntly hit 100 times...

Actually, that's a very good point. As much as McGregor says (and probably truly thinks) he should have been allowed to go on, Mayweather was more than ready and capable to unleash some real damage onto a tired and pretty much defenceless McGregor. I believe the ref made the right decision stopping it when he did. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yeah man it's not just that he gasses but HOW he gasses!...It can almost be timed and it's unusual for a top level athlete to have a complete "shut down" almost on the clock...Almost to a certain minute of pushing himself his whole body language changes and his face looks almost drained of blood and he goes pale,a pale even noticable in an Irishman!

It CAN be timed. Floyd said he watched Connor's fights (obviously,) and it became apparent that right around the 20min mark, something happens to Connor. Again, I am leaning towards asthma with my super limited medical knowledge. Your description is perfect - he looks flushed like he can't get enough air. Like his lungs just stop absorbing oxygen...not good man. Not good, especially in MMA where the ref will let those extra power hits keep coming. I like Connor...I hope that dude gets his issues figured out or I see a crushing defeat when some endurance athlete with a concrete chin pummels him in later rounds..

Spoiler

20140311121603_nate_diaz.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Actually, that's a very good point. As much as McGregor says (and probably truly thinks) he should have been allowed to go on, Mayweather was more than ready and capable to unleash some real damage onto a tired and pretty much defenceless McGregor. I believe the ref made the right decision stopping it when he did. 

I've seen some mma fights let go on too long and a fighter takes uneeded punishment,but 9.5 outta 10 times you know that person will recover,fight again,and live on many more productive years...

But i've seen boxing matches go on too long and you get an EXTREMELY uncomfortable feeling!

Ali vs Foreman was one where a human body took far too much damage,but one name that really sticks out of how 1 single fight can ruin a life is Meldrick Taylor...that fight is haunting!

Most fighters have heart and don't know in the heat of things how badly they are truly hurt or on their way to being so,that is why refs and cornermen are supposed to do their damn jobs!...A ref working with a guy making his pro boxing debut against one of the all time greats who's really heating...Byrd made the right choice!

• Like 3

We got a good one coming up in GGG vs Canelo!...

This is the actual boxing match i've been waiting over 2 years to see!

GGG is a murderous technical puncher but is getting up in age vs Canelo who has pretty good boxing skills,but is a "swarmer" with just medium power and is also much younger...

Should be a fun one to watch! :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

We got a good one coming up in GGG vs Canelo!...

This is the actual boxing match i've been waiting over 2 years to see!

GGG is a murderous technical puncher but is getting up in age vs Canelo who has pretty good boxing skills,but is a "swarmer" with just medium power and is also much younger...

Should be a fun one to watch! :D

Looking forward to it. Canelo is a beast at 160