Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to see what Google knows about YOU!

seeder

We have come to accept that the technology we interact with on a daily basis is tracking and recording our every move.

Your iPhone knows everywhere you've been, Google Maps is always tracking your location, and Facebook has built a detailed character profile of all its users.  

By following these five steps you can see just how much Google knows about you, your interests, the places you have visited, and your search habits.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/see-terrifying-things-google-knows/

• Like 3

So...if you don't have a google account then this does not apply? 

Does everyone know about Ghostery - a privacy browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Edge?

• Like 4

Wow. I didn't even realise I'd been to half of the places I've been too, lol

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Wow. I didn't even realise I'd been to half of the places I've been too, lol

you checked it out then?

• Like 2

All in all what Google and Facebook have acomplished about gathering informations is great work indeed but fun fact is that they actually haven't done any work on it, people did it. Free of charge, people gave up their privacy so easily.

• Like 5

Found it pretty interesting that they have me down as a guy considering the plentora of stereotypically feminine things I am involved with online. Then again I'm pretty sure you give your age and gender at the creation of a google account, don't you?

Some of the interests were waaaaaaaaay off. Though none of the interests that were listed explain why I constantly get ads for Islamic Dating Sites when I'm gay and not a Moslem.

I am completely confused by is that google thinks I like Electronic/Dance Music and Jazz, when those two are among the very few musical styles I really don't like or Shooter Games when I  haven't played a shooter in my life.

Aside from that, I will now display my huge naivety again and ask; aside from getting annoying, personalized advertisement...what is the harm in google collecting that information, or the point, really?

I genuinely don't know, being an internet noob and all, but would like to know if I have to be careful about things. 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, seeder said:

you checked it out then?

Yes, just the locations though while I had a spare moment. I forgot about places like Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and a few areas  of London I've been this year. It even pinpoints the bars I've been to around the local town. Not always a good thing, lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Found it pretty interesting that they have me down as a guy considering the plentora of stereotypically feminine things I am involved with online. Then again I'm pretty sure you give your age and gender at the creation of a google account, don't you?

when Ive setup email accounts I rarely give a real name, real age or even a real address. Done that for years :lol:  why should they have that info?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Yes, just the locations though while I had a spare moment. I forgot about places like Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and a few areas  of London I've been this year. It even pinpoints the bars I've been to around the local town. Not always a good thing, lol.

could be handy if you go out on a bender and cant remember where you went...if you google, ha, how to turn off geo-location then you are more in control....have a look. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b&q=turn+off+geolocation+on+phone&oq=turn+off+geolocation+on+phone&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30k1.5874.9498.0.9816.9.9.0.0.0.0.114.762.7j2.9.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.9.754...0j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1.XMxEMzWvxbk

• Like 3

Itd be a good way to track someone ELSE though...if you knew THEIR google logins that is

Cant think why though, maybe for jealous boyfriends or girlfriends etc

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, seeder said:

Cant think why though, maybe for jealous boyfriends or girlfriends etc

That's why I said "Not always a good thing." lol1.gif

On a serious note though, I have nothing to hide - either from my other half nor any authorities so it doesn't really bother me. It's actually quite a cool feature and could come in handy, like you say, to remember what bars I'd been in. That reminds me, I must check the one's in Leeds that I was told I was in but can't remember.  (Especially the one with the glory holes Suspicious.gif )

• Like 3

23 hours ago, seeder said:
On 8/22/2017 at 9:28 AM, Orphalesion said:

when Ive setup email accounts I rarely give a real name, real age or even a real address. Done that for years :lol:  why should they have that info?

They probably use a "name genderizer" program to determine if you are male or female.  There's more than one of these utilities/databases that exist.

:D 

7:58 AM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHfvHYpHQkIcYnkMeKbyw

Google Search

more_vert_grey600_24dp.png
Detailstelegraph.co.uk

• Like 1

I like this;

TOPICS YOU LIKE

•  
  • Action & Adventure Films

• Air Travel

• Autos & Vehicles

• Aviation

• Blues

• Boating

• Boats & Watercraft

• Books & Literature

• Broadcast & Network News

• Bus & Rail

• Business News

• Campaigns & Elections

• Cats

• Celebrities & Entertainment News

• Classical Music

• Comics & Animation

• Country Music

• Cricket

• Cruises & Charters

• Dance & Electronic Music

• Engine & Transmission

• Finance

• Folk & Traditional Music

Golf

Hotels & Accommodations

Investing

Local News

London (UK)

Maritime Transport

Mobile & Wireless

Motor Sports

Movies

Music & Audio

News

Outdoors

Performing Arts

Politics

Pop Music

Rail Transport

Rock Music

Science

Soccer

South West England

Sports

Toyota

Travel

TV Comedies

TV Documentary & Nonfiction

TV Dramas

TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shows

Pretty comprehensive I think! :cat: 
  • Like 1

it'a not altogether easy to find just Seach History, but it is quite amusing when you find it. A few samples:

* August 17

Searched for blackshirts

Searched for bournemouth echo

Searched for did winston churchill have a car

* August 18

Searched for Ural truck

Searched for toasted mostly

Searched for accuweather uk

Searched for key learnings

* August 19

Searched for steve bannon

Searched for littoral

* August 20

Searched for clorets

Searched for chaff launcher :unsure2: 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 2:28 PM, Orphalesion said:

Some of the interests were waaaaaaaaay off. Though none of the interests that were listed explain why I constantly get ads for Islamic Dating Sites when I'm gay and not a Moslem.

I sometimes get offered Islamic Dating sites and, just for balance, sometimes Jewish Dating sites. :unsure2: 

• Like 1

Hah, Google thinks I'm a woman between 39 and 47 years old. I'm a 27-year-old male. It totally has all my interests done properly, though!

Phones are the best tool for a corporation to track you. At the end of the first week of getting my new Nexus (Google made,) phone, I started getting traffic notifications around the time I usually leave from work. Google had been silently tracking my movement and decided it would be helpful for me to know about traffic when I'm about to get on the road. You cannot turn off location tracking on a Nexus phone. 

While it is helpful, the inability to turn it off is a little unnerving. Who are they selling my whereabouts to? My PC is super secure but phones take a little more finesse. I've always jail-broken my phones to install extra security/turn off unnecessary Google services. This will probably be my last Skynet Google phone.

8 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Phones are the best tool for a corporation to track you. At the end of the first week of getting my new Nexus (Google made,) phone, I started getting traffic notifications around the time I usually leave from work. Google had been silently tracking my movement and decided it would be helpful for me to know about traffic when I'm about to get on the road. You cannot turn off location tracking on a Nexus phone. 

While it is helpful, the inability to turn it off is a little unnerving. Who are they selling my whereabouts to? My PC is super secure but phones take a little more finesse. I've always jail-broken my phones to install extra security/turn off unnecessary Google services. This will probably be my last Skynet Google phone.

Yes, i quite like that feature. It tells me "11 minutes to work. Lots of traffic as usual". The location for "work" it's selected seems to be a pub in town that I don't think I've actually ever been in, but I'll let it think that if it wants to. 

9 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

The location for "work" it's selected seems to be a pub in town that I don't think I've actually ever been in, but I'll let it think that if it wants to. 

:lol: 

"Google, drive to WORK"
*ping!*
"OK, setting route for WORK"

• Like 1