Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interview with people who believe flat Earth

The Caspian Hare

Why can't the earth just be a dome, then we can have the best of both worlds, flat and round on the bottom, round and spherical on top?

Haha. Literally and Figuratively, The Best of Both Worlds..

• Like 1

(1) If the earth is flat like a plate then it must be daytime EVERYWHERE at the same time.

(2) The sun must set at the same time EVERYWHERE ...

(3) ... and rise at the same time  EVERYWHERE  ........

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 2:19 AM, freetoroam said:

Oh, i was not aware of that. Can they not chissel their way through it? Obviously i will be there will a safety net waiting for them when they fall off, do you want to help me hold the net? 

drop rock on them. 

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

(1) If the earth is flat like a plate then it must be daytime EVERYWHERE at the same time.

I didn't realize you missed the lecture on light never traveling in a straight line. Light bends and provides the illusion of a curved Earth and it is the reason that the Sun can only illuminate parts of the Earth at any given time.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, Colectivo said:

Do they believe that all planets are flat or just earth?

Some think they're round, others think they're flat discs. However Jupiter can be observed rotating which some flat earthers claim to be CGI.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

The sun acts like a flash light.

On 25/08/2017 at 1:04 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Silly you. They can't walk of the edge because of the massive icewall protecting it.

the%20wall.jpg

The wall is apparently protected by an organisation known as "The Nightswatch". 

They actually think that Antartica isn't a continent, but a wall marking the edge of the World. This is what they think a "real" World map looks like.

Azimuthal%2BEquidistant%2BProjection.jpg

Well, in theory. However, during my time spent in FE FB groups (I was banned from one only yesterday), I realised that there is no accepted model for the flat earth, at all. They have no idea how big the sun and moon are, how they orbit, what size the "planet" is, what the map looks like, what is beyond the "ice wall" (or if there even is one) etc.

The bottom line is they don't really care. They know what they don't believe in, but when it comes to asking what they do they just shrug and say "no one knows". They are a group of people who, mostly, feel locked out by education and science, don't understand how it works in their favour, and can finally "question everything", because something as fundamental as the shape of the earth is a lie.

And man alive, are they aggressive about it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The sun acts like a flash light.

Yeah, I think that's the idea, although this is easily disproved by the angle and colour of sunlight during sunsets. Also, if there was a tiny sun hovering above Europe, you should be able to see it from America at nighttime. 

• Like 1

I never thought I would ever encounter something I respect less than religious belief, but the whole "Flat Earth" thing has made me realize new levels of disdain that I hadn't realized I was even capable of. Good job, humanity, good job.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2017 at 3:33 PM, pallidin said:

I truly wonder (not joking) what compels some to actually believe in bizzare, wholly nonsense theories such as a "flat earth"

It's so "off-the-wall" and without even one ounce of foundation as to be clearly delusional. I'm not sure that I could trust a "flat earther" even on general matters due to this bizarre psychotic level of delusion.

Some flat earther will say... "Look at this or that YouTube vid" 

Screw that, I won't look at a single thing they say.

They wish to be and remain psychotic, I don't.

I've heard someone try to explain this as some sort of tolerance thing. That everyone's beliefs should be respected...no matter how ridiculous.

I would have to disagree with that. There are some ideas so outrageously stupid that they don't deserve respect. People who believe them don't need to be treated with kid gloves. They deserve to hear how ridiculous these ideas are. I think it's a disservice not to tell them. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I've heard someone try to explain this as some sort of tolerance thing. That everyone's beliefs should be respected...no matter how ridiculous.

I would have to disagree with that. There are some ideas so outrageously stupid that they don't deserve respect. People who believe them don't need to be treated with kid gloves. They deserve to hear how ridiculous these ideas are. I think it's a disservice not to tell them. 

Someone take the head of Flat Earth into orbit and show him the truth?

Does anyone else reckon that these people claim the Earth is flat, to detest theories of global warming? Or is it just me?

• Like 1

On 2017-8-28 at 0:02 AM, taniwha said:

Why can't the earth just be a dome, ...?

Because the default natural shape is a sphere due to the physics over time of the dynamic interplay between mass and gravity.

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Because the default natural shape is a sphere due to the physics over time of the dynamic interplay between mass and gravity.

If there was such a thing as gravity

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stereologist said:

Gravity is a hoax perpetrated by Big Globe.If people knew the World was flat they wouldn't sell any globes. Its so obvious sheeples. 

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

By all means of respect, the only mystery in this is why people one would think educated (well, especially educated enough to operate a device able to to log on to UM and actually sign up) would even believe in this nonsense. 

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stereologist said:

What keeps your feet on the ground?

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Apparently, the flat Earth we live on is being accelerated through space giving us the false idea that gravity exists. :whistle:

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Apparently, the flat Earth we live on is being accelerated through space giving us the false idea that gravity exists. :whistle:

So we have been accelerating at 9.81 m/s^2 since the formation of our flat world? Wow! What velocity are we currently moving at? Have we always moved in a straight line? A circular path? Or an elliptical one?

PS - I know you don't believe it. Just asking for the fun of it. :)

Edited by Ozymandias

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So we have been accelerating at 9.81 m/s^2 since the formation of our flat world? Wow! What velocity are we currently moving at? Have we always moved in a straight line? A circular path? Or an elliptical one?

PS - I know you don't believe it. Just asking for the fun of it. :)

There you go asking a reasonable question. The nerve of some people. You stumped me. I now realize what a fool I've been.

We aren't accelerating. We are actually held down by the vacuum of space.

• Like 1

So I just realized that there was the full interview at the bottom of the page in the OP. Previously, I'd only listened to the highlight reel at the top of the page.

Wow. Just...wow. I thought these guys were morons before, but now? ...just wow. They clearly surround themselves by similarly-deluded morons, if they actually convince people that the Earth is flat. I just can't understand how anyone who does even a single bit of research could do anything but affirm what uneducated scrubs these guys are.

Well, Podo ,  It is actually so stupid  that its even a bit much for some of the  'you tube self educated Yuppie Hipsters ' ...... like   Dom her  below ... the straw that broke the camel's back     ;) ;    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Duh, shoes of course! 

• Like 3