Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possessed?

Holly630

Ok... I realize how crazy this is going to sound, but I feel there is no better place to talk about it than here. This is my first post, so I'll give a bit of a backstory.

I live with/take care of my grandmother who was diagnosed with dementia about 7 years ago. I moved in almost 2 years ago and I have seen an absolute drastic change in her over the course of the last couple of months. My sister is an RN and my cousin is a home health aid - both of which have worked with MANY dementia patients in their careers and have both agree that she is the worst case they have ever seen. Neither are exactly convinced that she is in fact demented. 

I'm 31 now, but I can remember staying over here when I was a kid and always hearing weird sounds in the middle of the night. I never felt threatened or frightened by any of it, but always kind of figured we weren't alone here. My great grandparents both died in this house (my great grandfather passed from a heart attack in the back yard before I was born and my great grandmother died in her bed ((which was in the bedroom I use now)) from cancer when I was 8.), so I just assumed they were looming around. My opinion of that has changed recently. My grandmother was the absolute nicest woman when she was in her right mind. Everyone knew her, everyone loved her. She wouldn't hurt a fly and she never had anything bad to say about anybody. That couldn't be further from the truth now. If she is awake (which is on average about 22 hours a day), she is rotten. The vulgarities that come out of her mouth are appalling. And I've noticed over the last few weeks that her voice seems to change when she says certain things. I don't want to say "demonic", but she gets this nasty look on her face and deepens her voice. It's really very disturbing. 

So anyway, since she almost NEVER stays in bed at night, I have cameras set up throughout the house so the motion sensor will send an alert to my cell phone, in the event that I don't hear her get up. I don't pay for the subscription to them, so the cameras downstairs will only save still images every few minutes, rather than any video feed. In the morning I usually look through them to make sure she wasn't up in the middle of the night without my knowledge. About a month ago I noticed a very blatant apparition in the doorway from the kitchen to the dining room. The frame is about 8 ft tall and the top of the entity is barely a foot below the top of the frame, so even if it were my grandmother and she was downstairs (which I don't believe she was, because she isn't in any other shots and the camera never sensed any motion that night), something had to have been lifting her up, because she is only about 4'10". Ever since then, she has been BEYOND crazy - Having full conversations with "no one", telling us her mother is going to come and kill us and she can't wait, making ZERO sense but sounds as if she's speaking another language... the list goes on. Another thing to point out is that when she isn't home, she's a totally different person. It is always a huge fight trying to get her out of the house, but once she is out - it's almost as if she's her old self. No nastiness, no creepy voice, no cursing, no name calling, no screaming. 
About a week ago she had her 3 month check up and I told her doctor about it and said "At the risk of sounding completely crazy, I honestly think she is possessed". The doctor, bless her heart, appeased my craziness and said it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the house blessed. Well, we haven't yet - but it is definitely time we do!...

That brings me to Monday night. I don't sleep while I am here with her. I stay awake all night until help comes in at 11am. So Monday night I was sitting in my chair in my bedroom, just looking at social media and Pinterest on my phone. AC was turned off, TV was off, no music was on - complete silence. The hallway camera (which does record 10 second videos every time there is motion detected) never went off. I got up to use the bathroom around 1:30am and there was a chair from the dining room table in front of my door. It scared the hell out me because 1) I didn't expect it to be there and 2) and I didn't hear a thing! I walked into the hallway and immediately got an alert on my phone from the camera (so I know it was working). I checked my grandmother's room and she wasn't there. Usually when she goes downstairs in the middle of the night she turns on every single light. That's a thing with those with dementia - they hate darkness. Welp! I went downstairs and it was pitch black. I leave the TV on but muted every night and I leave a small light on in the kitchen. Everything was turned off and I could hear my grandmother talking low, but I couldn't even see where she was. So I said "Nana? Where are you?" and she said "Is she talking to you? Where is she? I bet she's by that table again"... I turned on the dining room light and in the kitchen my grandmother was standing, facing the front door(it was closed) and the kitchen table, which is a solid piece of glass and heavy as hell, was moved about 4ft across the room. My entire body went numb. I asked her what she was doing and she wouldn't even look at me for a good 30-45 seconds. When she finally looked at me her face just seemed... blank. I finally corralled her and got her upstairs and back into bed.

There is NO way that my tiny 4'10" 110lb grandmother carried a heavy dining room chair up 16 steps (which are tile with metal trim), down the hallway and placed it in front of my bedroom door without me hearing it. And there is REALLY no way that she moved that kitchen table. And the cameras caught NOTHING! 

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws to try to convince myself that it isn't dementia and maybe it's just evil spirits making her this way, but no one I've talked to has ever heard of anyone with her condition acting like this. I'd love some insight and opinions!

Edited by Holly630

Welcome to UM.

Maybe it's time to start paying for the subscription, for your grandmothers sake. 

Then you'll have all the answers you're looking for. 

• Like 1

Welcome!

I too am dealing with a family member with dementia. It can be extremely difficult. 

The vulgarities are a common behavior problem in dementia.

Strange sounds, shrieking and wailing can be common too.

Take a look here...

https://www.alzconnected.org/archive.aspx?g=posts&t=27552

Apparently pushing furniture does happen.

• Like 1

Yeah I was looking some of the stuff up last night. Apparently, some people are so severely affected that they have to take anti-psychotics.

I don't know why the cams didn't pick anything up, though. And weird about the apparition. It would be cool if you could post the pic. 

I am currently working in a facility that houses people with varying levels of dementia and it is surprising what some of these people can and will do. Depending on the severity of the affliction, they can switch from being calm and reasonable a hellish fury over the smallest thing.

A frail, little old lady can be astonishingly strong when the mood moves her.

Also medications can create unforeseen problems if the dosages are wrong or if they are in divergence of one another.

To be honest I would advise to find answers in the real world rather than relying on metaphysical ideas.  You mentioned she does not sleep much tells me that perhaps part of her behavior could be influenced by poor sleep and from what you are telling us, I am thinking that she does some form of sleepwalking.

Either way I strongly suggest that she get an evaluation by more than one doctor that deals with dementia and tell the doctor everything so a treatment plan can be put in place. This is a brain issue and needs to be treated as such.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Yeah I was looking some of the stuff up last night. Apparently, some people are so severely affected that they have to take anti-psychotics.

I don't know why the cams didn't pick anything up, though. And weird about the apparition. It would be cool if you could post the pic. 

19402084_10155803997965663_2634896393693775007_o.jpg

Looks like she's just on the stairs and it's the angle that is making her look tall. 

Try standing in that same spot and see what your cam catches. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryu said:

I am currently working in a facility that houses people with varying levels of dementia and it is surprising what some of these people can and will do. Depending on the severity of the affliction, they can switch from being calm and reasonable a hellish fury over the smallest thing.

A frail, little old lady can be astonishingly strong when the mood moves her.

Also medications can create unforeseen problems if the dosages are wrong or if they are in divergence of one another.

To be honest I would advise to find answers in the real world rather than relying on metaphysical ideas.  You mentioned she does not sleep much tells me that perhaps part of her behavior could be influenced by poor sleep and from what you are telling us, I am thinking that she does some form of sleepwalking.

Either way I strongly suggest that she get an evaluation by more than one doctor that deals with dementia and tell the doctor everything so a treatment plan can be put in place. This is a brain issue and needs to be treated as such.

I'm well aware that most of this can be explained with dementia. And I know my theory sounds ridiculous, but I've seen her progression over the last 7 years and there has never been such an immediate drastic change. I know the nastiness is very common, and I know that they can sometimes get these bursts of energy that gives them strength they don't normally have, but I can't explain the chair. If she dragged it up the steps, it would have hit off of them and I would have heard it. If she carried it above her head, it would have hit off of the ceiling above her. I also would have heard her, because you can hear every footstep made in this house. 
We no longer her have her on any medication other than 3mg of melatonin at night. We've tried every sleep aid and every anti-psychotic under the sun ... it all just seemed to make it worse. 

Something else to note that I completely forgot about but was discussing with my sister today - Before I moved in, she lived here with her 6 year old son. I've been here 2 years and even when I first moved in she could be left alone for a couple of hours without any worry, so when my sister lived here there really wasn't much concern. There was no nastiness, no craziness - She just needed help with every day things that she forgot how to do. But I had forgotten how worried we were about my nephew's behavior when they lived here. He's a very sweet, respectful kid. He's 9 now and she's never had an issue before or after living there. But there were times when he was here that he would just lash out. Throw things at my sister, hit her, he even pushed her when she was walking down the steps once. I know kids have a hard time expressing their feelings and anger and misbehaving are common, but this seemed to be beyond that.

25 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Looks like she's just on the stairs and it's the angle that is making her look tall. 

Try standing in that same spot and see what your cam catches. 

We did. I had my mother try to recreate the photo from every possible angle while I looked at the camera. We could not get anywhere near that same image. 

Just now, Holly630 said:

We did. I had my mother try to recreate the photo from every possible angle while I looked at the camera. We could not get anywhere near that same image. 

It really does just look like someone real coming down the stairs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

It really does just look like someone real coming down the stairs. 

The stairs are actually pretty far away and when you're standing on them, you look small in the camera. if you look to the left, you can see the "arm" or whatever it is, is inside the door frame in the kitchen. 

1 minute ago, Holly630 said:

The stairs are actually pretty far away and when you're standing on them, you look small in the camera. if you look to the left, you can see the "arm" or whatever it is, is inside the door frame in the kitchen. 

Just looks like someone standing on the stairs and holding their arm up. You can even see the fingers. 

• Like 2

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Just looks like someone standing on the stairs and holding their arm up. You can even see the fingers. 

That's the wordwork from the stop of the staircase.

Just now, Holly630 said:

That's the wordwork from the stop of the staircase.

In the doorway?

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

In the doorway?

Yes. I'll post a picture later of what it looks like during the day, or with lights on. 

Just now, Holly630 said:

Yes. I'll post a picture later of what it looks like during the day, or with lights on. 

Thanks.

That is a damn creepy looking pic lol.

God please let me die in some quick way. Heart attack, car wreak etc. Please don't let me slowly lose my mind. How horrible would that be? I'm sorry you are going through this Holly. 

Odd story... perhaps sad to be sure.

I feel the OP is giving a good faith effort to respond; sometimes one doesn't see that here. Good job.

There are others here more knowledgeable/perceptive than I to suggest answers to her questions, so I just want to appreciate her willingness to actually participate as needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

God please let me die in some quick way. Heart attack, car wreak etc. Please don't let me slowly lose my mind. How horrible would that would be.

Yeah, that's a tough way to go, for sure.

In my thoughts, what makes progressive dementia so damn horrible is that you KNOW, for a little while, that you are "losing your mind" and that it will get worse.

After a certain stage, of course, it gets so bad that what I just said no longer applies... you can't rationally think about anything, including your own demise. You become a "zombie" of sorts.

With lethal dementia I'm not sure. I suspect that the mind at that point is so "zombified" that even the subconscious ability to control vital organs is seriously messed-up.

Not sure about all this though, just thoughts.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

In my thoughts, what makes progressive dementia so damn horrible is that you KNOW, for a little while, that you are "losing your mind" and that it will get worse.

After a certain stage, of course, it gets so bad that what I just said no longer applies... you can't rationally think about anything, including your own demise. You become a "zombie" of sorts.

With lethal dementia I'm not sure. I suspect that the mind at that point is so "zombified" that even the subconscious ability to control vital organs is seriously messed-up.

9 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Thanks.

Here is the view of the camera during the day. You can see the woodwork along the top of the staircase that I was talking about. Also, that is my grandmother in the photo (I blurred out her face for anonymity) ... If she were on the steps she would look even smaller. AND, look how large that chair is compared to her tiny, fragile self. How in the hell did she get that up those steps so quietly? It's boggling my mind. 

unnamed-3.jpg

Edited by Holly630
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That is a damn creepy looking pic lol.

God please let me die in some quick way. Heart attack, car wreak etc. Please don't let me slowly lose my mind. How horrible would that be? I'm sorry you are going through this Holly. 

I agree! My mother and aunts have already told all of us that if they ever go through this, to just give them a bunch of a pills and get it over with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pallidin said:

The weird thing is that it wasn't a slow progression with her. It wasn't like she was starting to have trouble with people's names, or forgetting to turn on the faucet or something. It went from 0-5 almost immediately. She was an alcoholic for about 35 years. Her husband left her and she couldn't get over it - drank every night. Began having liver issues and was admitted to the hospital during Christmas in 2009 - She started talking crazy in the hospital and it seemed as though she never bounced back. The last time we saw "normal" nana was the day she was admitted. So I guess in a way it was a good thing for her... she was never really aware of what was happening. 

• Like 1

I feel so sorry about your whole situation, especially her, of course.

What a taxing thing to go through.