Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extinction asteroid caused an 18-month winter

UM-Bot

I believe the asteroid was component of  a bigger celestial body to which Mars has collided or frictionned. Its remains from deep impact were later captured by Saturn forming its rings and wiped out Mars atmosphere very dense and similar in composition to that of Earth at that time. This theory can explain why half of planet Mars is smoother and very different than the other half and it also explaining numerous fragments from Mars falling down on Earth in a few occasions. 

Edited by qxcontinuum

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I believe the asteroid was component of  a bigger celestial body to which Mars has collided or frictionned. Its remains from deep impact were later captured by Saturn forming its rings and wiped out Mars atmosphere very dense and similar in composition to that of Earth at that time. This theory can explain why half of planet Mars is smoother and very different than the other half and it also explaining numerous fragments from Mars falling down on Earth in a few occasions. 

... and I believe the Moon is the remains of the Death Star after aeons collecting space dust and then sprinkled with cheese.  This theory can explain why they speak English in the Star Wars films and why I'm safely locked away in a padded cell.

Anyone can articulate nonsensical theories but without credible evidence and a plausible mechanism all your suggestion can be is a belief, no better than a religious notion about flying invisible omnipotent deities who made humans to worship them.

Back to the article - why is this even featured here?  Does it add anything to our prior knowledge?  The only new offering is the implausibly short 18-month solar blackout, which is never justified.  With all these amazing declarations by scientists you should scan first for words like 'think', 'perhaps', 'maybe', etc. before taking them too literally.  

Hmm.. .if we're just talking about dust settling, then 18 months doesn't seem unreasonable ?

• Like 1

A giant impact causing hemispherical asymmetry on Mars isn't out of the question. The other parts of that theory were a little off. 

19 hours ago, Tom the Photon said:

... and I believe the Moon is the remains of the Death Star after aeons collecting space dust and then sprinkled with cheese.  This theory can explain why they speak English in the Star Wars films and why I'm safely locked away in a padded cell.

Anyone can articulate nonsensical theories but without credible evidence and a plausible mechanism all your suggestion can be is a belief, no better than a religious notion about flying invisible omnipotent deities who made humans to worship them.

Back to the article - why is this even featured here?  Does it add anything to our prior knowledge?  The only new offering is the implausibly short 18-month solar blackout, which is never justified.  With all these amazing declarations by scientists you should scan first for words like 'think', 'perhaps', 'maybe', etc. before taking them too literally.  

that is what Astronomy does as well. It elaborates a hypothese based on observations and finds clues to prove it. 

On 8/24/2017 at 3:03 AM, Tom the Photon said:

qxcontinuum di start with "I believe".      Did you not see that?  

Well if the dust and debris caused an 18 month winter and the dust absorbs heat and sun rays, is the article trying to say it took longer than 18 months to rebuild the ozone layer?

1 hour ago, Myles said:

qxcontinuum di start with "I believe".      Did you not see that?  

I'm happy to consider any sensible theory but the scenario qx suggests is clearly nonsense.  Many features on Mars are billions of years old, and there is no evidence whatsoever to support a catastrophic impact event there 65 million years ago.  Saturn's rings are notoriously difficult to age but recent low estimates date them as 100 million years old, far older than the asteroid impact event that killed the dinosaurs.  The total mass of all Martian rocks collected on Earth totals about 100 kg: hardly a torrent that needs a catastrophic origin.  

This is a subject I knew virtually nothing about until half an hour ago.  Now I've read a few authoritative articles I have a reasonable understanding and can say, with considerable confidence, that the theory qx espouses is barmy nonsense.  Harmless, yes, but unintelligent drivel nonetheless.

http://sci.esa.int/mars-express/55481-the-ages-of-mars/

https://www.seti.org/seti-institute/how-old-saturns-rings

https://www.space.com/14268-rare-mars-meteorite-rocks-tissint.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2017 at 7:55 PM, Tom the Photon said:

I'm happy to consider any sensible theory but the scenario qx suggests is clearly nonsense.  Many features on Mars are billions of years old, and there is no evidence whatsoever to support a catastrophic impact event there 65 million years ago.  Saturn's rings are notoriously difficult to age but recent low estimates date them as 100 million years old, far older than the asteroid impact event that killed the dinosaurs.  The total mass of all Martian rocks collected on Earth totals about 100 kg: hardly a torrent that needs a catastrophic origin.  

This is a subject I knew virtually nothing about until half an hour ago.  Now I've read a few authoritative articles I have a reasonable understanding and can say, with considerable confidence, that the theory qx espouses is barmy nonsense.  Harmless, yes, but unintelligent drivel nonetheless.

Whereas you are clearly an extremely intelligent individual who likes to make themselves feel better by belittling others.  Did you even stop to consider the age or ability of the poster? Perhaps you could have just informed the poster about the facts and not had to go to town on how stupid you think they are? 

If this is how you respond on these boards and think this theory is 'unintelligent drivel' then boy are you in for some moderation.