Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robert Lee Can't Announce Football

Lilly

What is wrong with ESPN? Don't they understand what they're doing to themselves?

• Like 6

Let's see if someone wiil post that they support what ESPN has done. Can't wait to hear the explanation. 

• Like 3

Oh geez. I guess on the one hand I can see why ESPN chose to preemptively nip any potential problems in light of recent events.. but with all the rest of me I think this is really overboard with the super-sensitivity thing. We don't need Big Brother, we are already 1984ing ourselves well enough, sigh. What's next, folks with the last name Lee just can't name their kids Robert anymore?

• Like 6

I don't understand why this had to happen. You're punishing a guy for something he had no control over.

• Like 5

I've been following this since it was first announced yesterday.

All their overreaction did was bring more attention to how PC ESPN has become lately, this isn't the first time. They have suspended or fired people for speaking out before.

It's ok, I never watch them anymore.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

It's ok, I never watch them anymore.

Me either. These people are idiots.

• Like 3

When you think it couldn't get much worse.

I think I'd sue them for discrimination.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nonentity said:

I don't understand why this had to happen. You're punishing a guy for something he had no control over.

Par for the course when property is destroyed because of events that occurred over a hundred years ago over which no living human being had any control.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

They should simply transcribe his name to "Robert Li". 

Why should he have to change his family name to satisfy idiots who will never be satisfied?

• Like 8

Just now, Michelle said:

Why should he have to change his family name to satisfy idiots who will never be satisfied?

I wasn't a 100% serious, but it is not really changing his name. It's just another, more contemporary, transcription. His last name is actually 李.

The whole story is just silly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Yeah, Mr Lee is just too politically incorrect. The thing is, Mr Lee is an Asian gentleman, obviously having nothing to do with Robert E Lee (Civil War general)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/espn-has-pulled-an-announcer-off-a-football-game-because?utm_term=.nqqk5pmRB#.nvpWK1LEj

I think the snowflakes have finally jumped the shark.  This is even worse than the to-do a few years ago because an educator used the word "niggardly" in a class.

BTW, just for safety sake...

not generous; stingy.
"serving out the rations with a niggardly hand"
synonyms: cheap, mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheeseparing, grasping, ungenerous, illiberal; More
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, and then said:

I think the snowflakes have finally jumped the shark.  This is even worse than the to-do a few years ago because an educator used the word "niggardly" in a class.

BTW, just for safety sake...

not generous; stingy.
"serving out the rations with a niggardly hand"
synonyms: cheap, mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheeseparing, grasping, ungenerous, illiberal; More

More about that: http://www.adversity.net/special/niggardly.htm

• Like 1

ESPN is really hurting themselves since their demographic isn't the type who will be "triggered" by seeing the name Robert Lee.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rinna said:

ESPN is really hurting themselves since their demographic isn't the type who will be "triggered" by seeing the name Robert Lee.

ESPN doesn't seem to mind, they're some of Cupcake Kaepernick's biggest fans.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I think I'd sue them for discrimination.

If they fired him, maybe, but all they did was switch him to cover a different game.

I'm going to be honest here (and it's going to make me look silly) but when I would think of General Lee (before all of this controversy) what came to my mind was the Dukes of Hazzard's car. Now all the bad feelings from the Civil War seem to be making a comeback.

Move all Civil War statues to a museum, let Mr Lee announce games in Virginia, get on with life. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I'm going to be honest here (and it's going to make me look silly) but when I would think of General Lee (before all of this controversy) what came to my mind was the Dukes of Hazzard's car. Now all the bad feelings from the Civil War seem to be making a comeback.

Move all Civil War statues to a museum, let Mr Lee announce games in Virginia, get on with life. 

It'll just be some other stupid outrage next.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, FLOMBIE said:

They should simply transcribe his name to "Robert Li". 

That would only satisfy the demongraphic that reads.

(no, I'm not saying capable of reading, but how many bother to do so anymore?)

4 hours ago, Rinna said:

It isn't the Fans that they care about, not a damned bit, and every most they make proves it.

ESPN is supported by the extra 7-12$ that they tack on to your cable bill.  Unless you are unplugged like me, you HAVE to support that channel with a huge slice of your bill, every month.

Crony-ism, at it's most profitable extreme.

Edited by AnchorSteam

We all live in a Mad Magazine spoof from 1995. This psychosis would have been found in just parodies and satires back then. Now, it's hard to tell truth from jokes. Luckily, a lot of folks still recognize this.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rashore said:

Oh geez. I guess on the one hand I can see why ESPN chose to preemptively nip any potential problems in light of recent events.. but with all the rest of me I think this is really overboard with the super-sensitivity thing. We don't need Big Brother, we are already 1984ing ourselves well enough, sigh. What's next, folks with the last name Lee just can't name their kids Robert anymore?

If this insanity doesn't stop, "Robert" will become the new "Adolf". I miss the days when such a thing seemed absurd!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

We all live in a Mad Magazine spoof from 1995. This psychosis would have been found in just parodies and satires back then. Now, it's hard to tell truth from jokes. Luckily, a lot of folks still recognize this.

Hard to believe how "normal" the daily news was back 20-25 years ago compared to the absolute hysterical lunacy we see on a daily basis now...

Hell the 90's had Bill and Monica,Rodney King,OJ,John Bobbit,Menendez brothers,ect...and all of that can't compare today stupidity :wacko:

I'm not dreaming about the good 'ol days either,i havn't crossed the thresh hold age wise to remember "when the world was a better place" :lol:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lilly said:

The fear of anything homophonic is spreading; because we can't understand context generally...

WOOPS!;)

... thunder on the highway lookin' bad, bad, bad ...

• Like 1

This was a silly thing for ESPN to do. 

What is kind of humorous about it is that now a very liberal left media outlet like ESPN is afraid of the liberal left leaning folk who might give this man heck because of his name.