Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toyota Just Patented a “Cloaking Device”

Still Waters

From cloaking devices that conceal spaceships, to Harry Potter’s hand-me-down disappearing blanket, or even the One Ring and its power to conceal its wearer, invisibility is a staple in science fiction and fiction in general. Scientists have been hard at work, however, to bring such a technology into reality. Joining the research and development of cloaking technology is Japanese car manufacturer Toyota.

https://futurism.com/toyota-just-patented-a-cloaking-device/

• Like 5

Must be some structural or cost reason that some form of ultra-strong clear plastic or such can't be used, eh?

• Like 1

The headline is a bit sensationalist, but I think the idea is a great one, making the cars 'A' Posts appear transparent by bending light around them would be very cool, probably cheaper to us a camera and a LED screen tho

Edited by EBE Hybrid
  • Like 1

It would be cheaper but cameras and screens are passe'..screens take up space ect. I do agree its a great idea and especially used in such an unexpected way..cool stuff

The best thing about eliminating that blind spot is being able to see motorcycles. I am sure a lot of motorcycle accidents occur because of that and other blind spots on vehicles. Hope this comes to fruition.

Edited by LoveDuet

Lame. Alfa Romeo had that in the 80s already. The cars vanished by corrosion.

• Like 1

This could be a very good thing.  There is one huge blind spot at the frame for the windshield in my Sienna.  I'm surprised how large of an item can hide there.

Why not just build these already?

It works. I often walk past Toyota's and don't even realise they are there...

• Like 2