Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk unveils spacesuit of the future

Still Waters

In true Elon Musk fashion, the latest SpaceX creation has been revealed with dramatic flair.

Posting on his Instagram account early Wednesday morning, Musk unveiled the first iteration of his SpaceX spacesuit. The design, seen only from the waist up, features a slim black-and-white aesthetic and is a far cry from the bulky, puffy spacesuits worn by NASA astronauts.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/08/spacex-spacesuit-elon-musk-crew-dragon-spd/

• Like 3

It looks quite cool, almost Star Wars 'Stormtrooper-esque', which is a good look!

As Elon Musk said, it was hard to make it look appealing and be functional at same time.

Edited by Saru
As this is a front page item, we ask that members please stick to discussing the story itself, thank you.

Impressive. But, I found one of the annoyances of wearing a full-over face mask is the inability to touch one's face, something we do about 3000 times a day. Begs to ask, if this is a Musk innovation, does it have a rechargeable nose scratcher in the helmet?

Style is everything for tomorrow's space traveler.  Soon to be available in a palette of reflective colors to keep you cooler on your space walks.  My younger Granddaughter wants the neon orange, while the older one wants to fluorescent purple.

Anyone know what "double vacuum pressure" is?  If a vacuum is - by definition - nothing, you can't exactly double that.

Edited by Tom the Photon

2 hours ago, Tom the Photon said:

Anyone know what "double vacuum pressure" is?  If a vacuum is - by definition - nothing, you can't exactly double that.

I wondered the same question myself

On 8/24/2017 at 5:24 AM, Still Waters said:

In true Elon Musk fashion, the latest SpaceX creation has been revealed with dramatic flair.

Posting on his Instagram account early Wednesday morning, Musk unveiled the first iteration of his SpaceX spacesuit. The design, seen only from the waist up, features a slim black-and-white aesthetic and is a far cry from the bulky, puffy spacesuits worn by NASA astronauts.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/08/spacex-spacesuit-elon-musk-crew-dragon-spd/

im a big fan of Elon Musk but they make the space-suit sound like its being modelled on a Paris runway. The suit should be practical above all. who really cares what it looks like. 

12 hours ago, Tom the Photon said:

sounds like it has two separate pressurised compartments in case one is compromised. 

16 hours ago, Tom the Photon said:

My guess (and it's not much more than that to be honest) is that the suit was tested at double it's operating pressure and so there would be double the pressure differential compared with normal operations in a vacuum. Even if I'm right it's a very strange way of phrasing it though, Why not just say what you actually did?