Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange happenings in the house today

Amerix

So I am probably the most skeptical person I know when it comes to stuff like the paranormal.  Just look at my post history.  I've been around for about 8 years now, and I have been skeptical and dismissive about almost everything.

So last night/today, my wife and child (6 years old) experienced things in our home that we cannot explain.  I figured I would share it here and see what some of you think.  We documented everything.

So we had a pretty bad storm last night.  Our power was out for about 10 hours.  It went out around 4pm, and came back on at around 2am.

So after the power came back online, our home alarm went off.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  It comes on for about 10 seconds any time the power comes back on and it initializes.  

So naturally it woke my wife and I up.  I took a minute to use the washroom, and noticed our daughters room light on. We went and turned it off.  She was fast asleep.  The strange thing about that is, my wife made sure the light switch was in the off position after tucking our daughter in, so it wouldn't come on and disturb her when the power came back on, on top of the alarm.

Before my wife tucked our daughter in, she gave her a cup of water to drink.

During the night, we heard our dog choking on something.  I rushed and turned the light on, and found the dog chewing on a chocolate wrapper, with chocolate smeared all over his doggy bed.  I couldn't fathom how he got a hold of it. He was in our bedroom all night, and we keep our door closed. Even when I got up to use the washroom after the alarm came on, I made sure to close the door behind me.

The reason for this, is he has taken a liking to peeing in the hall during the night, so the wife and I are very vigilant when it comes to keeping the door closed.  We were baffled at how he got the chocolate, but chalked it up to an accident at the time.

So fast forward to the morning, my wife went and woke our daughter up for summer camp, and there were chocolates all over the floor.  Some were semi open, but the rest were sealed.  They were scattered all over the floor.  The cup of water was also full of hair.  My wife thought our daughter tried sneaking some candy after we tucked her in, but she vehemently denied it.  She also couldn't account for the clippings of hair in her water cup.  Also, there were no empty chocolate wrappers.  They were either wrapped, or partially wrapped. If she snuck the candy, she would have ate some, leaving empty wrappers. She's also not greedy, and in my opinion, would have not taken the 8 or so chocolates.  She also knows not to bring food of any kind into her room.

I had already left for work, and received all this info via text from my wife, who was panicking.  It freaked her out to enter the room and see the chocolates scattered all over the floor, and human hair in the water cup.  She rushed out to work with our daughter, and dropped her off at the summer camp bus.  She was really freaked out.  Before she left, she threw the semi open chocolates and hair into the garbage and tied the bag closed.

So fast forward again to around 4:30pm today.  I arrived home from work first.  I got in the house and immediately inspected the main floor and basement. I initially thought it was our daughter telling fibs.  Here's where it got somewhat strange for me.  When I got in, the toilet seat and cover were up, and our daughters tooth paste was on the floor in the upstairs washroom.  This may not sound like much, but we are very careful to keep them down, as our dog likes to take a drink from the toilet from time to time.  I texted my wife, and she insisted she was the last to use the washroom before her and my daughter left the house, and remembered specifically putting them down, and the tooth paste was not on the floor.  The toilet paper roll was also empty.  My wife, god bless her soul, is almost autistic when it comes to the toilet paper roll.  When it's empty, she WILL replace it.  She, for the life of her, can't leave an empty roll.  That kind of creeped me out, but I still wasn't convinced anything really paranormal was going on.  I kind of chalked it up as her being mistaken.

Then I went to the kitchen and couldn't find the dogs food dish.  Its normally next to the water dish.  I ended up finding it in the dining room next to the table.  I've had him for 7 years now, and never has he moved his food dish.  Still, there is a perfectly logical explanation for that.  The dog did it.  He may not have done it before, but maybe he did it today.  Who knows.  

So I decided to check the garbage.   I found A LOT of hair in the garbage.  I didn't find any semi unwrapped chocolates though. I put the hair into some paper towel and put a coffee mug over it to soak up the water and dry it out.

Now here's what freaked me out.  We have firearms in the house in a safe in the basement.  I went downstairs to make sure everything was still there.  Our basement is in such a layout where you go down the stairs, and enter a finished kitchen.  To the left is a finished living room.  There are three doors off of the living room.  One goes to the laundry room, one goes to a washroom, and the other goes down a small L shaped hall and into another room where I keep our gun safe and ammunition.  So I headed down the L shaped hall way, made my way to the gun safe, opened it, and saw all firearms and ammo were accounted for.  I headed back through the L shaped hall and into the basement living room, and now one of the three lights were on.  We have three switches that manage 3 sets of lights.  One of them was on.

I literally stopped in my tracks and my heart jumped.  I did not remember turning this light on.  But, being the skeptic I am, I chalked it up as me doing it and not realizing it.  It still creeped me out though.

So my wife arrived home after picking our daughter up at the camp bus stop.  She came in and we did a quick walk through, talk through of where she found the chocolates and where the cup of hair was.  We went back to the garbage bag and looked for the semi wrapped chocolates. I couldn't find them.  I emptied the bag into a large bowl and literally picked through it piece by piece.  They weren't in there.  My wife swears up and down she tossed them both away before leaving, and tying the garbage bag shut for tomorrows pick up.

The bag was tied when I got home, and our garbage is in a sliding pull out shelf under our sink, with a closed cupboard door.  This freaked the both of us out.  No one but the dog was home all day, and he could not have gotten to it.  We checked every other garbage basket in the house.  Nowhere.  Now this was odd.

I decided to take the wife to the basement and show her what I did when I saw the light on.  So here's the next strange thing.  When we got downstairs, our basement dehumidifier was on.  It's not tied to any timer, or house heating system or humidity detecter.  It's a box, plugged into the wall.  It's also very old, and has a large, rigid knob you need to turn to turn it on and off.  Now this scared me.  The light, I can chalk it up as me turning it on without realizing, even though I'm 90% sure I didn't, but I know for an absolute fact that the dehumidifier was not on.  Its a loud old box.  I would have noticed if it was on when I went down to check the guns.  So, we turned it off.  By now, my wife was freaked the hell out, and I was getting to that point.   Our daughter didn't go to the basement since she got home, nor does she know how to operate the dehumidifier.

So we go back upstairs to start documenting everything going on.  We start smelling a burning smell.  We noticed that two of the elements were on, on the stove.  One was set to 2 (medium) and the other was set to Hi.  The one on Hi had a plastic bag with some Tupperware on it from the morning.  The bag and some of the Tupperware at the bottom was melted.  Now this was not only scary, it was down right dangerous.  Our daughter could not have done it while we were in the basement.  She is not tall enough to reach the stove knobs.  She was also still curled up in her blanket in her room watching cartoons on her iPad.

So I decide to check out the hair, and sure enough, there were only a few strands left.  About 80% of it was gone.  I thought maybe the wind blew it, even though I put a coffee mug on the paper towel it was wrapped in, so I looked all over the counter and floor for it.  It was nowhere.

What was left was brown hair.  Our daughters hair is black.  My wife and my hair are brown.  It was too long to be my hair.  I inspected my wifes hair, and all of it was down midway down her back, minus a small chunk which was a little higher, as if someone clipped a bit of it.

We went to our daughters room again, and I looked around with a flashlight.  I found her small plastic scissors with small bits of hair on it, and small bits of hair on her drawing desk.  This was extremely strange. Our daughter never entered our room last night.  I am a VERY light sleeper (9 years in the army has done that to me), and I wake up at the slightest sound, let alone our daughter coming into our room and cutting my wifes hair next to me in the bed.

So to recap:

Our dog was eating chocolate that wasn't in our room (from what we could tell) before going to bed.  Our door was closed all night, and the dog never had the chance to leave the room.

Our daughter was woken up with chocolates scattered over her room floor, and what appears to be clippings of my wifes hair in her water cup.

I came home to a toilet seat up, tooth paste on the floor, and an empty toilet paper roll, all of which my wife swears were not in that state when she left in the morning.

The dogs dish was in the dining room for the first time in 7 years.

There was no signs of the semi-unwrapped chocolate in the sealed garbage after my wife tossed it out in the morning.

The majority of the large amount of hair I pulled from the garbage was missing no more than an hour after I took it out.

The light in the basement living room turned on, to the best of my recollection, without my intervention.

The dehumidifier in the basement turned on, again, to the best of my recollection, without our intervention.

Two elements on our stove turned on and burned items on top.

Thoughts?  I sat here for hours thinking of logical explanations for all of them, and can't think of any for most of them.

Edited by Amerix
  • Like 3

That gave me shivers reading. Specially because you actually hang around UM a bit so not a hit and run poster.

The best I can think of is that your wife sleep walked and didn't realize it? And got chocolate and cut her hair? Maybe turned some lights on.

Seems far fetched but that's the best I got lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

If people ignore this thread because of TLDR then they are missing out 

• Like 1

I've never had any paranormal experiences in my entire life. And all that happened didn't happen over the course of days, weeks or months. It all happened in less than 24 hours.  I am still in denial about it all, and at the moment, I actually feel calm about it, as I don't think it's really sunk in yet.  My wife on the other hand, is a nervous wreck and wanted to sleep in a hotel tonight, and even plead with me to load up and sleep with the shotgun tonight. She is somewhat anti gun, and more or less puts up with it because she knows I enjoy shooting as a hobby, so I can tell how rattled she is off of that request alone. 

Edited by Amerix

Oops, not sure how that reply came out as a quote. I must have hit something by accident. These replies are on my mobile phone. 

I read it. Very interesting. How old is your daughter? Is this the very first wave of strangeness or has there been hints before that you might have blown off? How long have you lived in the house? 

Any suspicion of who/what/why a possible non-physical entity could be? 

Just a thought; I wouldn't get a firearm involved after what's been happening. It just could be a troubled spirit with energy apparently to effect the physical.

Yeah seeing how if it is a "spirit" it somehow used the scissors 

Assuming for the moment the story is true, the events described are "classic" of a so-called poltergeist.

Not dangerous, but annoying.

Night is over. I didn't fall asleep until around 3am, so today is going to be lousy running on 3 hours of sleep.  To answer some questions, our daughter is 6, and we've lived in this house for 10 years this November. We bought it from an old Italian couple. Absolutely nothing "paranormal" during the whole time we've lived here, and I'm ready to chalk all this up as stress on the part of the wife and I and move on. 

• Like 1

Set up a cam. It does sound like somebody's sleep walking. Although, stranger things have happened. Look at those people who found out they had a stranger hiding somewhere in their house. 

• Like 1

A dog with a new taste for candy and a six year old is a recipe for chaos. Could it be dog hair? My guess is the dog ate chocolate that the kid left, rooted through the trash for more, and went after a cup of water, leaving it everywhere. The kid is into the chocolate and denying it, or the dog found it. The dog may have turned the burners on, rooting around on the countertop searching for more candy. He's got a taste for it now, and is doing unusual things because of it. A six year old is capable of a lot of crazy things, I know this because I have one.

That's my guess at least. Definitely get that camera.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Amerix said:

Night is over. I didn't fall asleep until around 3am, so today is going to be lousy running on 3 hours of sleep.  To answer some questions, our daughter is 6, and we've lived in this house for 10 years this November. We bought it from an old Italian couple. Absolutely nothing "paranormal" during the whole time we've lived here, and I'm ready to chalk all this up as stress on the part of the wife and I and move on. 

I guess if nothing unusual happens again you can chalk it up to 'unknown' causes. Time will tell. Keep us updated for the next few days please. You got me curious now. As for analysis, I think some people are too quick to jump to the paranormal and some people are too quick to dismiss the paranormal, so I think we need be open-minded and not force a conclusion right away.

Edited by papageorge1

I think setting up a cam might be my next step.  I kind of spoke (wrote) too soon this morning.  So I went downstairs this morning to pull some luggage from our storage room (the room with my gun safe.  It's also a storage room) for my wife's friend visiting from China, and there was something written in blue pen on the drywall of the L shaped hall way, that looks to be pressed hard..

It said "knowonenoe$" (no one knows, spelled wrong, and with special characters) with an arrow.  It's not in either my wife or my handwriting, and it's too high up for our 6 year old, and she can barely spell.   We don't make a habit of writing on our walls either. The pen markings also look fresh.

This is so ridiculous.  So we have a ghost who likes the bling? ($).  I walked by the writing and literally shook my head.  I just don't even care at this point.  I showed my wife and her hands were shaking as she was making our daughter lunch to take to day camp.  This is freaking her out much more than it is for me.  I'm an avid atheist, while she is a practicing Christian, so the idea of ghosts and an afterlife is clearly stronger in her. I'm more convinced someone is messing around.

I'll take pictures of our recordings of everything the night before on our note pad, which has both her and my writing, as well as the writing on the wall I saw today, and post them on here, when I get home from work this afternoon.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical about all this, as I would probably be the first to jump into this thread and call BS... but I'm more curious than scared at this point.  Something is obviously going on, and I am eager to find a logical explanation for it all. 

Edited by Amerix

3 hours ago, Amerix said:

I think setting up a cam might be my next step.  I kind of spoke (wrote) too soon this morning.  So I went downstairs this morning to pull some luggage from our storage room (the room with my gun safe.  It's also a storage room) for my wife's friend visiting from China, and there was something written in blue pen on the drywall of the L shaped hall way, that looks to be pressed hard..

It said "knowonenoe$" (no one knows, spelled wrong, and with special characters) with an arrow.  It's not in either my wife or my handwriting, and it's too high up for our 6 year old, and she can barely spell.   We don't make a habit of writing on our walls either. The pen markings also look fresh.

This is so ridiculous.  So we have a ghost who likes the bling? ($).  I walked by the writing and literally shook my head.  I just don't even care at this point.  I showed my wife and her hands were shaking as she was making our daughter lunch to take to day camp.  This is freaking her out much more than it is for me.  I'm an avid atheist, while she is a practicing Christian, so the idea of ghosts and an afterlife is clearly stronger in her. I'm more convinced someone is messing around.

I'll take pictures of our recordings of everything the night before on our note pad, which has both her and my writing, as well as the writing on the wall I saw today, and post them on here, when I get home from work this afternoon.

I don't blame anyone for being skeptical about all this, as I would probably be the first to jump into this thread and call BS... but I'm more curious than scared at this point.  Something is obviously going on, and I am eager to find a logical explanation for it all. 

Wow! I'm interested to learn more. As for your last sentence, the paranormal is not illogical, just not well understood. 

• Like 1

Creepy. Definitely set up a camera and maybe give a call to the police to be on the safe side. 

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 1

So, my daughter and I were the last ones out of the house this morning.  My wife had an early class and left first.  My daughter was the first one out the door to the car while I made sure all the lights were off and windows were closed and locked (we opened them over night because it was cool out and wanted to air out the house after all the humid weather lately).  I left the ceiling fan on in me and my wife's bedroom to let the air circulate.  

So my wife finished class early today, and met me at my work place.  We went together to pick our daughter up at the bus stop from day camp and decided to go out to dinner.

We get home, and in typical cliche fashion, and find the entrance hall light on, the kitchen light on, and our daughters bedroom light on.  Our bedroom ceiling fan was off.

Now the logical thinker in me says someone was in the house screwing around, and turned the lights on.  When they got to our bedroom, our light switch is fairly hidden behind the door, and if you didn't know the switch was there, you would think the bead string hanging off the light is how you turn the light on, but that's how you control the on/off/speed of the ceiling fan, so while they thought they were turning the light on, what they actually did was turn the fan off instead.

My wife isn't as convinced as I am, and she's waiting for it to be a little later in China (currently 8am now) to have a video chat with her mom, who although isn't religious like my wife, is very superstitious.  I'm worried it's just going to make her a bigger pack of nerves than she already is.  There's still some things that happened yesterday which I'm struggling to explain, but I'm sure as time goes on it will reveal itself.  

So, I did my sweep of the house, shotgun in hand, because I'm leaning towards someone and not something being behind this BS. I unloaded it and locked it away last night.  I didn't think it would be a good idea to have a loaded weapon next to us in case someone WAS getting in, as they might get to it before I could if they snuck into the room while we slept.  I looked in every single nook and cranny I know of, and no one.  The only entrance to the attic is through a sealed, nailed shut door in a tiny closet.  So if someone did manage to get in during the day, they weren't here now.

Our daughter is starting to pick up on the nervous vibes of my wife, and is getting scared herself.  She will be sleeping in our bed until we sort this mess out, at her request.  We couldn't say no.  She was almost in tears.

As promised, here were the photos of the log the wife and I have been keeping (Don't mind the spelling errors, English is not her first or second language), and the idiotic pen writing on the wall I noticed this morning:

KuqcEHc.jpg

0qQWffc.jpg

z7NfSRl.jpg

Edited by Amerix
  • Like 1

And we're going to Costco this weekend.  There some cheap mini hidden cameras my wife saw online today that we're probably going to pick up.

• Like 1

My wife just got off the phone with her mom in China. She suggested we get some peach branches and put them around the house, and she wants to send her husband (my father in law and wife's dad) here because "there aren't enough men in the house"  This went from zero to full retard pretty quick. The ridiculousness of this all is actually keeping me rather calm. 

• Like 4

This is one of the more interesting threads I've seen on this forum. I don't see any options beyond nut-case slippery physical human intruder or ????

Edited by papageorge1

So, in my attempt do debunk everything that's happened so far, I've come up with the following:

1) The chocolates on the floor.  Although our daughter denies doing it, the only logical explanation I can think of is, she tried to sneak some into her room at night, and tried turning her light on when she got back to her room, but it didn't turn on because the power was still off.  She then dropped them, and couldn't see them in the pitch black to pick them up.  She was too scared to tell us she tool them the next morning.  This could also explain why her light came on when the power came back on, despite my wife making sure it was in the off position when she tucked her in.  Explained.

2) The hair in the water cup.  I'm chalking this one up as the wife sleep walking and doing something she doesn't remember.  About 4 years ago, she got up one night at around 2am.  I thought she was going to use the washroom, but I heard the sliding door in the kitchen (which goes to the back yard) open and she went outside.  I went to go see what she was doing, and she said she was going to get the dog (who was sleeping in our room in his doggy bed the whole night).  That morning, she didn't remember a thing.  She sleep walked.  It was the first and only time that I've caught that happen, but that's not to say it hasn't happened again (like the night of the storm).  Explained.

3) The light on in the basement when I went to check the guns.  I'm chalking that up as me flipping the switch subconsciously, while I was doing a sweep of the house, and not remembering I did it.  Explained.

4) The dehumidifier.  I'm going to chalk that up as the reservoir being full when it was off (it shuts off when the water inside reaches its peak), and just enough evaporating to trigger the sensor to turn on again before we went back downstairs.  Explained.

5) The missing chocolates in the garbage.  My wife, in her panic and rush in the morning, might have misplaced where she put the semi-open chocolates.  Our slide out garbage under the sink also has the recycle bin right next to it.  She might have tossed it into the wrong bin in error.  I did not take everything out of the recycle bin to look for them.  Just the garbage bag.  That recycle bin has since been emptied during the weekly pickup, so I can't verify, but it's the only logical explanation.  Explained.

6) The missing hair. I had taken it out to dry off.  I had also opened up the sliding doors and windows (leaving just the screen doors and windows) before pulling it out of the garbage.  Some air circulating through had to have blown some away somewhere.  A more thorough check of the counter and floors is needed, but logically, that's most likely what happened.  Explained.

7) The writing on the wall. It's not in either mine, or my wife's writing. I will say I never noticed it before.  That L shaped hallway is literally just drywall, with a lot of cracks, nicks and marks on it.  It's the only part of the basement that isn't finished, and has been that way since we bought it.   We never bothered, because we just used that area for storage.  I can say with all honesty that I have not memorized every crack and ship and mark on the wall, and if I gave them a good look, I would say if I gave the walls a good look over, most of those marks would look new to me.  Only when I was hyper sensitive to every detail the other morning did I see it.  I'm willing to concede to the idea that it had been there for the longest time, and I never really noticed.  Semi Explained.

8) Toilet seat up/tooth paste on the floor/empty toilet paper roll:  This could be one of two things.  A) My wife was in such a rush, and in a semi panic after finding the chocolates and hair, that she might have forgot to put the seat down and change the roll, and unwittingly knocked the toothpaste on to the floor in her rush out with our daughter, not realizing it.  B ) Someone came into the house that day, used the washroom, finished the toilet paper, and accidentally knocked down the toothpaste by accident.  Semi Explained.

9) Dogs dish in the dining room: The dining room is next to the kitchen.  Either the dog was eating his food, and while eating, was doing so at an angle when his snout was pushing his dish, and as he continued to eat, his snout continued to push the dish, all the way into the dining room. OR, it was someone in the house (along with #8) who tripped over the dish, kicking it into the dining room area. Semi Explained.

10) Lights on when we arrive home last night. This I know for a fact to be 100% legit, as I know all the lights were off when I left the house, and our bedroom ceiling fan was on.  This gives credence to my theories about someone being in the house from #8 and #9.  Someone physically had to turn these on.  I don't believe it was some ghost.  I genuinely believe at this point that someone has been in our house the past couple of days.  Explained, but TBD.

We're going to get those small hidden cameras tonight.  A pack of 4 for 49$ and they take micro SD cards.  I'm going to set them up in areas that have seen the most activity for the next few weeks and see what happens during the day while we aren't home.

I'm legit convinced someone is messing around in our house at this point.  I don't believe anything paranormal is involved.

• Like 2

We were home all weekend.  Nothing at all.  We went and did some groceries on Saturday at Costco and picked up the cameras while we were there.  I set them up before I left for work today.  My wife left with our daughter first.  I was the last one out.  I made sure every light, fan, dehumidifier, stove, ceiling fan and everything I could think of were in the off position.

I'll see when I get home I guess.

• Like 2