Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret life of the dodo revealed

Still Waters

Scientists are piecing together clues about the life of the dodo, hundreds of years after the flightless bird was driven to extinction.

Few scientific facts are known about the hapless bird, which was last sighted in 1662.

A study of bone specimens shows the chicks hatched in August and grew rapidly to adult size.

The bird shed its feathers in March revealing fluffy grey plumage recorded in historical accounts by mariners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41002562

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Scientists are piecing together clues about the life of the dodo, hundreds of years after the flightless bird was driven to extinction.

Few scientific facts are known about the hapless bird, which was last sighted in 1662.

A study of bone specimens shows the chicks hatched in August and grew rapidly to adult size.

The bird shed its feathers in March revealing fluffy grey plumage recorded in historical accounts by mariners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41002562

I hope the dodo is on a short list to bring back.   I have room in my chicken coop for a couple.

• Like 4

So sad that this animal is gone. I pray that we don't cause the extinction of any other animals.  

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:19 AM, Ozfactor said:

that was a great article, I have always had a soft spot for the dodo 

My first Brittany had a nickname of "Dodo". I had never had a dog like her before and still haven't, even with other Brittanys (or is it Brittanies?)  Either way, dogs like her seem to be extinct.  She knew my paper route and wouldn't let me miss anyone.  If someone stopped getting the paper all I her to tell her they didn't get the paper anymore and she walked right past the house the next time I took her, leashless.  When she went blind she still went to the living room chair by the window and waited for my Dad to come home.  She always went there at the same time Monday thru Friday.  On weekends if he went out, she didn't go to the window at 3:20 PM as she did M-F.  . 

• Like 1