Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
LucidElement

Indian with a cell phone ?

11 posts in this topic

 

Not sure what it is supposed to be.   Certainly not a cell phone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess would be a gold ingot.

The theme of the painting centres around land purchased from tribal leaders, so it seems reasonable.

The shape isn't actually black, it's just shadow, which can be seen with other objects, such as the items in the crate on the left.

Good one though. Looks like he's taking a selfie :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LV-426 said:

My guess would be a gold ingot.

The theme of the painting centres around land purchased from tribal leaders, so it seems reasonable.

The shape isn't actually black, it's just shadow, which can be seen with other objects, such as the items in the crate on the left.

Good one though. Looks like he's taking a selfie :lol:

He's clearly holding something . You can see the frame around what he's holding .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would place my bet on a mirror.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, LucidElement said:

He's clearly holding something . You can see the frame around what he's holding .

Yep, that's what I said... a gold ingot...

wm-1303x1303_img_0984_jpg_i1-1314179451.

The link describes "a Native American sitting in a canoe looking intently at a small black rectangle held in his hands." I was just pointing out that the "black" of the object could be the artist's exaggerated depiction of shadow on the back of the ingot. The sides look more yellow/gold.

The bottom line for me is that the painting depicts 17th century English settlers meeting Native Americans, which they are to purchase land from. I don't know how viable a gold ingot would be at this time, but an ingot, a mirror - basically anything that might be novel/valuable to a tribal people that would be freely available for trade in Europe - is a possibility. With a bit of research it's probably possible to find out what William Pynchon paid for the land.

One thing I am certain of... it's not a cell phone :P

Edited by LV-426

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Yep, that's what I said... a gold ingot...

wm-1303x1303_img_0984_jpg_i1-1314179451.

The link describes "a Native American sitting in a canoe looking intently at a small black rectangle held in his hands." I was just pointing out that the "black" of the object could be the artist's exaggerated depiction of shadow on the back of the ingot. The sides look more yellow/gold.

The bottom line for me is that the painting depicts 17th century English settlers meeting Native Americans, which they are to purchase land from. I don't know how viable a gold ingot would be at this time, but an ingot, a mirror - basically anything that might be novel/valuable to a tribal people that would be freely available for trade in Europe - is a possibility. With a bit of research it's probably possible to find out what William Pynchon paid for the land.

One thing I am certain of... it's not a cell phone :P

you sure hes not playing angry birds? lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live very close to an Indian reservation and I can tell you that many of them do have cell phones...cars too.

Come on, everyone, they're normal people!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the world gotten so tech crazed that this person assumed that's a cell Phone ? How pathetic ! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 9:29 PM, LV-426 said:

Yep, that's what I said... a gold ingot...

wm-1303x1303_img_0984_jpg_i1-1314179451.

The link describes "a Native American sitting in a canoe looking intently at a small black rectangle held in his hands." I was just pointing out that the "black" of the object could be the artist's exaggerated depiction of shadow on the back of the ingot. The sides look more yellow/gold.

The bottom line for me is that the painting depicts 17th century English settlers meeting Native Americans, which they are to purchase land from. I don't know how viable a gold ingot would be at this time, but an ingot, a mirror - basically anything that might be novel/valuable to a tribal people that would be freely available for trade in Europe - is a possibility. With a bit of research it's probably possible to find out what William Pynchon paid for the land.

One thing I am certain of... it's not a cell phone :P

Gold ingot or mobile phone, either way he's still thinking...

Why am I only getting one bar?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Gold ingot or mobile phone, either way he's still thinking...

Why am I only getting one bar?

Tip top :tu:

~

... back to the old reliable smoke signals :lol:

~

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.