Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indian with a cell phone ?

LucidElement

Not sure what it is supposed to be.   Certainly not a cell phone.

My guess would be a gold ingot.

The theme of the painting centres around land purchased from tribal leaders, so it seems reasonable.

The shape isn't actually black, it's just shadow, which can be seen with other objects, such as the items in the crate on the left.

Good one though. Looks like he's taking a selfie :lol:

11 hours ago, LV-426 said:

My guess would be a gold ingot.

The theme of the painting centres around land purchased from tribal leaders, so it seems reasonable.

The shape isn't actually black, it's just shadow, which can be seen with other objects, such as the items in the crate on the left.

Good one though. Looks like he's taking a selfie :lol:

He's clearly holding something . You can see the frame around what he's holding .

I would place my bet on a mirror.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LucidElement said:

He's clearly holding something . You can see the frame around what he's holding .

Yep, that's what I said... a gold ingot...

wm-1303x1303_img_0984_jpg_i1-1314179451.

The link describes "a Native American sitting in a canoe looking intently at a small black rectangle held in his hands." I was just pointing out that the "black" of the object could be the artist's exaggerated depiction of shadow on the back of the ingot. The sides look more yellow/gold.

The bottom line for me is that the painting depicts 17th century English settlers meeting Native Americans, which they are to purchase land from. I don't know how viable a gold ingot would be at this time, but an ingot, a mirror - basically anything that might be novel/valuable to a tribal people that would be freely available for trade in Europe - is a possibility. With a bit of research it's probably possible to find out what William Pynchon paid for the land.

One thing I am certain of... it's not a cell phone :P

Edited by LV-426

3 hours ago, LV-426 said:

The link describes "a Native American sitting in a canoe looking intently at a small black rectangle held in his hands." I was just pointing out that the "black" of the object could be the artist's exaggerated depiction of shadow on the back of the ingot. The sides look more yellow/gold.

The bottom line for me is that the painting depicts 17th century English settlers meeting Native Americans, which they are to purchase land from. I don't know how viable a gold ingot would be at this time, but an ingot, a mirror - basically anything that might be novel/valuable to a tribal people that would be freely available for trade in Europe - is a possibility. With a bit of research it's probably possible to find out what William Pynchon paid for the land.

you sure hes not playing angry birds? lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live very close to an Indian reservation and I can tell you that many of them do have cell phones...cars too.

Come on, everyone, they're normal people!

• Like 2

Has the world gotten so tech crazed that this person assumed that's a cell Phone ? How pathetic ! 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 9:29 PM, LV-426 said:

Gold ingot or mobile phone, either way he's still thinking...

Why am I only getting one bar?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Gold ingot or mobile phone, either way he's still thinking...

Why am I only getting one bar?

Tip top :tu:

~

... back to the old reliable smoke signals :lol:

~

• Like 2