Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has the same ghost ever been caught on...

I'mConvinced

Has the same ghost ever been caught on two different cameras at the same time?

I'm looking for any footage, video or stills, reporting to see the same ghost from two different angles. 

I've had a long hard look at the Disney ghost, which is the only instance I can find, but I'm sure there must be others.

Please link.

Going a bit offtopic, there was that Jerusalem UFO thing, where a few videos were presented that were supposedly of the same thing, but that was so poorly faked and fell apart so quickly it wasn't even funny.

Can't think of any ghost ones other than the one I think you are referring to, but I shall keep my remembering cap on for a while..

16 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Going a bit offtopic, there was that Jerusalem UFO thing, where a few videos were presented that were supposedly of the same thing, but that was so poorly faked and fell apart so quickly it wasn't even funny.

Can't think of any ghost ones other than the one I think you are referring to, but I shall keep my remembering cap on for a while..

I know the one, such a shame about the conclusion. I remember first hearing that we finally had a sighting with multiple shots from multiple sources and then...

Appreciate the response though :). My mind is open, evidence present thyself! 

Maybe?

I know there are some fairly famous ghost lights, like Maple Lake and Paulding. And sometimes multiple folks show up to check out the phenomena- there might be same time/different camera footage from that. There's a handful of anniversary haunts too that might have had multiple taken. I don't think I've ever seen a site that has such footage collected together if it does exist. I'm fairly certain that I've never seen a collective effort of multiple people with cameras working together to try capturing it at the same time.

Maybe some ghost hunters might have something- like if they have a still camera in a room, and happen to catch something at the same time on the camera they are carrying. Some of the TV performing investigators might have caught something on different cameras at the same time too... it's been a while since I've watched any of those shows.

• Like 1

With the proliferation of smart phones, CCTV cameras and affordable HD/IR setups I'm surprised there aren't more examples.

So far this leads me to conclude either/or:

1. They don't exist.

2. They are super rare and know how to avoid camera traps.

3. Ghost hunters are incompetent when installing equipment and/or do not understand scientific methodology.

4. It costs much more money to produce decent ghost effects on multiple cameras e.g. you can't use Photoshop, you need to physically create a hoax.

I also don't understand how there are so many seriously haunted locations, many offering ghost hunts/adventures, yet none that can turn up a shred of decent evidence.

Maybe someone has EVP recorded on multiple devices? Something we can study? This would eliminate the possibility of interference.

The odd thing is that it is relatively easy to create multiple hoax videos. I posted a video in which someone shows how to create a hoax such as the one of the soldier at Gettysburg. The exact same hoax can be used with multiple cameras. Nothing prevents someone from doing exactly that. All they have to do is to have a series of cameras on tripods. The hoax requires that there be footage of exactly the same scene with and without the person that becomes the ghost.

If the camera is in motion then the problem is substantially harder. It requires knowledge of the position and orientation of the camera as well as that of the 'ghost'. Hollywood has managed that using sensors. The more sensors the better the merging of the two or more images.

• Like 1

Another tactic to use in hoaxing would be the tactic employed by the group Fighting Gravity. In a dark environment using small strings it should be possible to illuminate a 'ghost' using something like UV to create an image that is seen from multiple points of view. Fighting Gravity did the trick for a large audience.

https://www.facebook.com/FGravityFanpage

Although they chose to use brilliant lighting for their costumes that would not be necessary.

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

If the camera is in motion then the problem is substantially harder. It requires knowledge of the position and orientation of the camera as well as that of the 'ghost'. Hollywood has managed that using sensors. The more sensors the better the merging of the two or more images.

I guess this is more what I'm looking for. I know it's really hard to fake unless tripods are used and as such it might provide far better evidence that anything I've yet seen.

Not going to hold my breath though.

A paper was written a few years back in which an array of cameras was used to take a photo of a group of people behind a hedge. The array was big, something like a 6 by 10 array. The photos were compared by software to determine 'shifts' caused by distance from the camera for each object in the photo. This allowed the software to produce a new combined photo of different levels in the scene. A progress of photos showed the camera appear to pass through the hedge and reveal and the group of people behind the hedge. It was a clever piece of engineering and mathematics.

I could imagine that this can be reversed to produce a false video showing something partially obstructed at times that is in fact not there.

11 minutes ago, stereologist said:

A paper was written a few years back in which an array of cameras was used to take a photo of a group of people behind a hedge. The array was big, something like a 6 by 10 array. The photos were compared by software to determine 'shifts' caused by distance from the camera for each object in the photo. This allowed the software to produce a new combined photo of different levels in the scene. A progress of photos showed the camera appear to pass through the hedge and reveal and the group of people behind the hedge. It was a clever piece of engineering and mathematics.

I could imagine that this can be reversed to produce a false video showing something partially obstructed at times that is in fact not there.

I'm sure it could be done but not without serious time and effort. The more effort and equipment it takes the less likely it is for someone to do it.  A process like this will also leave some traces under video analysis.

I thinks it's a moot point though considering the lack of examples out there.

Ghost Adventures once captured the same anomaly on both a night vision and a thermal vision camera at the same time. I don't remember which episode it was on though. I'd bet if you contacted them and asked they would be happy to provide you with an answer.

IIRC it was outdoors, at some kind of Fort or something like that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZDZ said:

Ghost Adventures once captured the same anomaly on both a night vision and a thermal vision camera at the same time. I don't remember which episode it was on though. I'd bet if you contacted them and asked they would be happy to provide you with an answer.

IIRC it was outdoors, at some kind of Fort or something like that. 

Thanks, I'll try and find it.

• Like 1

I think that the scarcity of multi-camera caught ghosts is because A. most CCTV/Security cameras do not all point in the same spot and B. unless you are going out to deliberately look for ghosts with two cameras, chances are you aren't going to have two cameras with you at the time.

4 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

I think that the scarcity of multi-camera caught ghosts is because A. most CCTV/Security cameras do not all point in the same spot and B. unless you are going out to deliberately look for ghosts with two cameras, chances are you aren't going to have two cameras with you at the time.

While that is true, the thing is that many folks now do have surveillance systems and that will continue to increase.  Anything moving past one camera into another room should be caught...  We even had one notable 'claimant' who had such a system, and then .. apparently .. the ghost managed to attack not only his local storage, but also the security firms copy, so nothing was recorded....  And this over a period of a year or more.  Sigh.

I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that we have much more surveillance going on than ever before in history and that it is increasing fast.  And yet (rather like ufos driven by aliens..) the number of convincing sightings is going down if anything..  That is fully explained by the phenomena being one of a cultural mindset, rather than of ghosts or spirits actually existing...  And it has to be pretty dang annoying for those pushing the paranormal stuff...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

Here in the UK we are the most surveilled nation on the planet right now:

"With more than 100 such devices Shetland (population 23,000) has more surveillance cameras than the entire San Francisco police department, which has just 71 CCTVs to cater for a population of 809,000.

So is Shetland an extreme one-off example? Hardly. the UK not only has more CCTV cameras than the world’s biggest dictatorship, China, we also have more cameras per person than anywhere else on the planet."

http://www.*** blocked ***/expressyourself/215388/CCTV-Britain-Why-are-we-the-most-spied-on-country-in-the-world

Maybe the UK doesn't get as many ghosts as other countries? Maybe the entire nation isn't spiritually attuned enough? With all these spirits people claim are popping up left, right and center you'd think there would be at least one decent instance of a ghost being caught on multiple cameras simultaneously.

6 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Here in the UK we are the most surveilled nation on the planet right now:

"With more than 100 such devices Shetland (population 23,000) has more surveillance cameras than the entire San Francisco police department, which has just 71 CCTVs to cater for a population of 809,000.

So is Shetland an extreme one-off example? Hardly. the UK not only has more CCTV cameras than the world’s biggest dictatorship, China, we also have more cameras per person than anywhere else on the planet."

http://www.*** blocked ***/expressyourself/215388/CCTV-Britain-Why-are-we-the-most-spied-on-country-in-the-world

Maybe the UK doesn't get as many ghosts as other countries? Maybe the entire nation isn't spiritually attuned enough? With all these spirits people claim are popping up left, right and center you'd think there would be at least one decent instance of a ghost being caught on multiple cameras simultaneously.

Hmm, you raise some interesting points...

• 8 months later...
On 28/08/2017 at 10:37 PM, I'mConvinced said:

Has the same ghost ever been caught on two different cameras at the same time?

I'm looking for any footage, video or stills, reporting to see the same ghost from two different angles. 

I've had a long hard look at the Disney ghost, which is the only instance I can find, but I'm sure there must be others.

Please link.

I don't think there has.

I work as a security officer and I used to work in a control room monitoring CCTV camera's in empty buildings at night and it was fairly common on random cameras to catch what some people would consider ghosts.

I don't want to sound boring, but when I done my CCTV course it was all explained to me.

It was many years ago so can't remember the exact science of it but I think the term was called "ghosting" where depending on what sort of memory capacity etc the CCTV system is using, it's not uncommon to pick up the shadow of someone who walked past the camera previously. 

That's why CCTV ghosts such as that Disney Land one that's famous makes my cynical. Not cynical that anyone is purposely trying to fool us, just in the sense that it's a poor example of anything supernatural. 

• Like 2