Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US troops exchange fire with Turkish proxies

Unusual Tournament

US troops exchange fire with Turkish-backed rebels in Syria

US troops in northern Syria came under direct attack last week by Turkish-backed rebels, a military official with the coalition fighting ISIS told CNN Tuesday. The official said that while US troops returned fire there were no casualties on either side.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/politics/us-troops-exchange-fire-turkish-rebels-syria/index.html

• Like 2

You gotta love the diplo-speak of military types: "and of course, all coalition forces have the inherent right of self-defense at their disposal, should they feel the need,"

Allow me to translate - "become too much of a pest and our guys are authorized to call down the lightning on you".

It wouldn't really surprise me if Erdog attacked a U.S. force, accidentally on purpose.  I wonder if two NATO members have ever tried to invoke Article V based on attacks against EACH OTHER?  :w00t:  I also wonder when NATO is finally going to publicly admit that the Turks are a rogue element now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, and then said:

You gotta love the diplo-speak of military types: "and of course, all coalition forces have the inherent right of self-defense at their disposal, should they feel the need,"

Allow me to translate - "become too much of a pest and our guys are authorized to call down the lightning on you".

It wouldn't really surprise me if Erdog attacked a U.S. force, accidentally on purpose.  I wonder if two NATO members have ever tried to invoke Article V based on attacks against EACH OTHER?  :w00t:  I also wonder when NATO is finally going to publicly admit that the Turks are a rogue element now.

well, there is no denying that the new or rather Islamic renewed Turkish regime is trying to pick a fight. I wonder what is going to happen when the U.S. and its allies decide to take it 'outside' of NATO? B)

• Like 1

As for individuals like myself who are still trying to figure all this out, why was Turkey fighting against the Kurd's who were fighting Isis ?

eta

These are 2 South Front news videos below,I think they're Okay  news explaining what's going on over there. I don't know for sure.

Edited by Ellapennella
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

well, there is no denying that the new or rather Islamic renewed Turkish regime is trying to pick a fight. I wonder what is going to happen when the U.S. and its allies decide to take it 'outside' of NATO? B)

Maybe its just me, but I think that the US should get out of NATO entirely. 

Is not as if the EU needs us to prevent the Russians from invading, but they could get us entangled in some pretty murky crap that we have no business being involved in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

Is not as if the EU needs us to prevent the Russians from invading, but they could get us entangled in some pretty murky crap that we have no business being involved in. 

oh we differ here. how would you feel if instead of confronting Russia the EU took in Russia as a member? a huge population, a powerful military, immense land and resources. its not an impossibility. You reckon the U.S. would be better off? 

Well, hold on one durned minute...

The "Turkish-backed" rebels ? Rebels against WHAT ?

Why gosh, I DO believe they are rebels against ISIS and Assad, with a particular focus on territory near to the Turkish border.

Now then, what is the US involvement ? Oh gosh, it's against ISIS and Assad. So surely everyone is on the same side ?

Except... what are the US troops doing in that particular area ? Why, I DO believe they are supporting a Kurdish militia group.  And the Kurds have been fighting a decades-long insurrection to try and secede from Turkey. For some reason, the Turks are not keen on this prospect ! :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

oh we differ here. how would you feel if instead of confronting Russia the EU took in Russia as a member? a huge population, a powerful military, immense land and resources. its not an impossibility. You reckon the U.S. would be better off? 

Since it is the EU that is pushing most of the hostility directed at Russia, I see it as just the opposite net result. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Since it is the EU that is pushing most of the hostility directed at Russia, I see it as just the opposite net result. 

True. But only cause one man rule is so incompatible to the EU. At some point the Russian deep state will feel comfortable enough to dabble again in democracy and things can change very quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everything which will slow the advance of US backed SDF ( towards taking more oil fields in Deir ez Zor county ) is a good thing but this wasn't even a distraction most likely.

By my opinion after isis is done SDF ( who was also supported by Syrian government with whom they had mutual goals on some occassions, over the years ) if they want good for Kurdish people they will simply leave weapons and not try to partition Syria in terms of making Kurdish state from Syrian teritorry.

Assad was clear, '' we will not stop untill every inch of Syrian land is free ''. Also, as US officials have stated that their presence in Syria is only for fighting isis, after isis is done it's clear what should happen and politically it's only option for USA to move out of Syria. Hopefully it's a matter of days and for many on the field, especially for American soldiers and Syrian civilians in the area - US moving out of Syria is a win win situation.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, AnchorSteam said:

Think you've got that backwards there.

If the U.S. simply leaves Syria at this point it will be carved up by Iran and Russia and that will lead to war with Israel, sooner or later.  Israel CANNOT allow a reinforced Iranian presence on their border.  Netanyahu has spoken to Trump's people (McMaster) and to Putin, and both seem to have rebuffed his message.  When ISIS is no longer an issue, the real war between Israel and her enemies will begin.  

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Think you've got that backwards there.

Then you and I must be in agreement; the US should withdraw from NATO, and let the EU handle it's own defense.

Right?