Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Happy Rainbow Kitty Cat Thoughts

XenoFish

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

The placebo effect scientifically proves the power of positive thinking.

I wouldn't call that an extreme way of thinking, just a provable fact.

No, the placebo effect only demonstrates that belief can make a person feel better (and it's generally temporary). The placebo effect does not prove that ones manner of thinking can in any way alter objective reality.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Thank you for some common sense.

I think and feel the same way. Why, because I have experienced both ways, I know the difference between thinking and being negative, and being positive. 

I know, because I was there!!!

Thanks CH. Was it difficult for you, going from negative to positive by will, or have you always been kind of in the middle? Do you have to make a continual conscious effort to see things one way, or the other?

On 10/25/2017 at 3:30 AM, Crazy Horse said:

It is not the acknowledgment of discomfort that makes one a pessimist, but the idea that things cannot get better.

I would call myself an optimist, I can see a bright future for anyone willing to take responcibility and set about changing their own mindset. I can only have this view if I can recognise the issues and problems and see the opportunity for growth.

If anyone seriously believes that being a negative, defeatist pessimist is a good thing for ones health and life here on planet earth then I genuinely feel sorry for them.  Nobody wants to be around some negative person sucking all the energy out of the room. Nobody wants to look at a long face all day, nobody wants to hear a whiny voice moaning all the time, thats a fact!

I think that gratitude is the starting point for the turnaround. 

Before I go to sleep I give thanks, sometimes its only for the matress and blankets, for the food in my belly, sometimes its just saying thanks for this life, for this opportunity to live.

While I won't go so far as saying that anyone that tries hard can have a bright future, I will agree that attitude is everything and that a positive, well grounded attitude begins with gratitude.  I think in the context of this thread, a "positive attitude" is being falsely equated with being a day dreamer who does nothing to bring their ambitions into reality.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, and then said:

While I won't go so far as saying that anyone that tries hard can have a bright future, I will agree that attitude is everything and that a positive, well grounded attitude begins with gratitude.  I think in the context of this thread, a "positive attitude" is being falsely equated with being a day dreamer who does nothing to bring their ambitions into reality.

Yes I agree.  I am a realist AND have a positive mindset.  I can see a situation for what it is but can find something redeeming from it.  This is not to say the truth of the matter is glossed over but that there can be some lightness, somewhere, to help balance the suffering...even if it's only in acknowledging (and appreciating) the comfort from those who care about us.

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tcgram said:

As for making the situation better, again, it depends on the person.  What works for me in a situation may not work for you.   We all deal with things differently.   

Fair enough, only I am trying to find ways and means and solutions that help everybody in the room.

I believe that if we are going to stand any chance of coming together to evolve Humanity, helping each other grow and blossom, then such positive ideas like gratitude, empathy, kindness, Love and generosity are the actual way forward to a better world.

First we must imagine such a beautiful place, then we find ways to support each other to accomplish our dreams.

Negativity will stop us from taking that first step, from even thinking about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

The post was not accurate, as it had a more negative leaning interpretation that distorted the facts. Thus I called it negative.

Realism can in fact be subject to interpretation, of that I'm well aware. However at the end of the day, the facts are the facts, and fact is there is nothing derogatory about the title of this thread. That's the real nonsense. It's sarcastic, but not derogatory.

Oxford English Dictionary definition of sarcasm. "Marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt."

That is derogatory. Oxford English Dictionary definition of derogatory, "Showing a critical or disrespectful attitude."

So that was perfectly accurate.

Besides that, the main point I was making was that to simply point out something that is negative, eg 9-11, then that doesn't make you negative. I can say, that person is sick, that doesn't make me sick too, or that saying, that song is beautiful, doesn't make me a musician.

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

No, the placebo effect only demonstrates that belief can make a person feel better (and it's generally temporary). The placebo effect does not prove that ones manner of thinking can in any way alter objective reality.

Have you not heard of placebo surgery?

Its real, it has a lasting and objective outcome.

And all in the persons head.

From the HuffPost

"Got arthritis? Sham surgery is highly effective. Broken back? Sham surgery works. Torn meniscus? Have a sham.

Last week the New England Journal of Medicine published yet another trial showing that fake surgery can be as good as the real thing. This time the subjects were candidates for knee surgery, with a torn meniscus and debilitating pain. When they arrived in the operating room, study surgeons in Finland performed either a meticulous repair of the torn cartilage, or a charade. Incisions were made, and closed, with no other intervention. In case anesthetized patients could hear or understand, the doctors and nurses passed instruments, made surgical sounds, and pretended to do surgery for as long as the procedure would normally take. 

Both surgeries worked. Unfortunately for proponents of the meniscus surgery, however, subjects who underwent the fake procedure experienced just as much improvement in pain and activity as those whose meniscus was actually repaired.

5 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Oxford English Dictionary definition of sarcasm. "Marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt."

That is derogatory. Oxford English Dictionary definition of derogatory, "Showing a critical or disrespectful attitude."

So that was perfectly accurate.

Besides that, the main point I was making was that to simply point out something that is negative, eg 9-11, then that doesn't make you negative. I can say, that person is sick, that doesn't make me sick too, or that saying, that song is beautiful, doesn't make me a musician.

Lol, dude, you're further validating my point. My point was that he was seeing something in a negative light whilst simultaneously supporting optimism and positivity. I never once saw the title of this thread as insulting or derogatory, and I consider myself to overall be a relatively positive person. Especially during the time that this thread was first posted. Never did I find it insulting or derogatory or get upset over it. Yet you keep pressing this issue all while doing the same. It's contradictory and hypocritical. Pick a side.

2 hours ago, WoIverine said:

Thanks CH. Was it difficult for you, going from negative to positive by will, or have you always been kind of in the middle? Do you have to make a continual conscious effort to see things one way, or the other?

The most difficult part was seeing my past "mistakes" and then consciously deciding to actually try to change.

Once I started I noticed how other people respond to my positivity and in turn my positivity, energy confidence and creativity became huge. Actually it was too much too soon. But for a short time there I was walking on air. It was truly amazin. Only without the skill and compassion to harness this new found energy, I soon came undone.

Since then I have gradually lifted myself back up to a point where now I can see negativity as the greatest opportunity to grow.

Wolverine, imagine that you want to get fit and healthy. You get fit and healthy by doing fit and healthy stuff - eating well and exercising regularly. The more you do, the fitter and healthier you become until one day you actually wake-up all fit and healthy. You have become this thing, and no-matter what you do or where you go, you are going to be that thing.

So I practice understanding, compassion, love and all that other positive stuff, knowing that one day I will Be those things.

Basically try it for yourself, and then you will know and like me, you can speak from your own life experience.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Last week the New England Journal of Medicine published yet another trial showing that fake surgery can be as good as the real thing. This time the subjects were candidates for knee surgery, with a torn meniscus and debilitating pain. When they arrived in the operating room, study surgeons in Finland performed either a meticulous repair of the torn cartilage, or a charade. Incisions were made, and closed, with no other intervention. In case anesthetized patients could hear or understand, the doctors and nurses passed instruments, made surgical sounds, and pretended to do surgery for as long as the procedure would normally take. 

Both surgeries worked. Unfortunately for proponents of the meniscus surgery, however, subjects who underwent the fake procedure experienced just as much improvement in pain and activity as those whose meniscus was actually repaired.

The level of pain is obviously then very subjective with this type of injury. However, something tells me this wouldn't work with something like cancer or heart surgery where the underlying issue isn't the level of subjective pain the patient is having. Simply having a good attitude isn't going to stop a great many illnesses/disorders.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, dude, you're further validating my point. My point was that he was seeing something in a negative light whilst simultaneously supporting optimism and positivity. I never once saw the title of this thread as insulting or derogatory, and I consider myself to overall be a relatively positive person. Especially during the time that this thread was first posted. Never did I find it insulting or derogatory or get upset over it. Yet you keep pressing this issue all while doing the same. It's contradictory and hypocritical. Pick a side.

It would only be contradictory or hypocritical if I had seen that derogatory title, and then become upset about it.

We have been talking about seeing things as they are and how we react to them! It is the reaction that is either positive or negative. Not the recognition of a problem, that is neither positive or negative.

I can assure you that I was not in the slightest bit upset about this title. As I keep pointing out, showing something to be negative, doesn't make one a negative person. 

Try to separate seeing something, and being something.

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

It would only be contradictory or hypocritical if I had seen that derogatory title, and then become upset about it.

We have been talking about seeing things as they are and how we react to them! It is the reaction that is either positive or negative. Not the recognition of a problem, that is neither positive or negative.

I can assure you that I was not in the slightest bit upset about this title. As I keep pointing out, showing something to be negative, doesn't make one a negative person. 

Try to separate seeing something, and being something.

Mmhmm, now we're gonna back track I see. :rolleyes:

That won't get you anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

The level of pain is obviously then very subjective with this type of injury. However, something tells me this wouldn't work with something like cancer or heart surgery where the underlying issue isn't the level of subjective pain the patient is having. Simply having a good attitude isn't going to stop a great many illnesses/disorders.

So?

Who said it has to work on everything? On every illness and disorder?

The fact that it works some of the time, to some of the people, demonstrates that it works.

If you had level 8/9 pain, and then you had a placebo surgery, and now your pain level is 2/3, is that subjective? If you couldn't walk before a surgery, but now you can - is that subjective? 

A belief in a doctor, a hospital, a surgical procedure, is an emotional and intellectual belief that they have the ability to help you. It is a positive thought hoping for a positive out-come. The fact that they do nothing except pretend to do something, demonstrates that positive thinking can help.

17 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Mmhmm, now we're gonna back track I see. :rolleyes:

That won't get you anywhere.

How did I back track exactly?

Ive been consistent. Seeing negativity doesn't make one a negative person.

Seeing and being are two different things - right?

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

How did I back track exactly?

Ive been consistent. Seeing negativity doesn't make one a negative person.

Seeing and being are two different things - right?

I don't really care to debate it.

I think Xeno said it best:

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Well. I posted in the wrong thread. 

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I don't really care to debate it.

I think Xeno said it best:

Ok mate, no bother.

Learn to live and not be an evil: we all are blessed to be human
beings, the most rational, intelligent and sophisticated creature on
this earth. Make use of this life the fullest, explore yourself,
introspect yourself and don't let it go waste by cursing others and by
making life hell for yourself and others;

Do one good deed a day no matter small or big: this exercise is very
satisfying and gives you a feeling that your life is worth living and
blessings from others that you get as a reward from both known and
unknown people cannot be expressed in words. All the blessings are a
tonic for living; they energize you and infuse positivity in you;

Don’t be envious, be a good appreciator, if not at least be a
learner: don’t envy others over their achievement, learn from them,
appreciate them and try to follow their foot-steps. Being jealous or
envious actually happen to be great obstacles in progress and
development;

Develop hobbies : as the saying goes : Empty mind is a devil's
workshop, therefore involve yourself in some interesting hobbies like
reading, writing, gardening, cooking etc, this would make you free of
ill-will of others and about your own self . Making constructive use of
the time is one of the surest way to get rid of negativities of all
kinds.

http://www.positivehealth.com/article/psychospiritual/self-help-tips-to-attain-positivity-in-life

449294.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Those who keep talking about how great positive thinking is. You've really made this thread depressing.

Thats debatable to say the least.

Personally Ive quite enjoyed it.

I've practiced and tested myself and I would mark myself a B+ 

"Could do better but show some signs of improvement."

Thank Xeno, I couldn't have done it without you.

Hehe

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Thats debatable to say the least.

Personally Ive quite enjoyed it.

I've practiced and tested myself and I would mark myself a B+ 

"Could do better but show some signs of improvement."

Thank Xeno, I couldn't have done it without you.

Hehe

You know what's really funny. If I did the same thing you've just done. I'd have mods all over me. This shows me what kind of person you really are. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

So?

Who said it has to work on everything? On every illness and disorder?

The fact that it works some of the time, to some of the people, demonstrates that it works.

If you had level 8/9 pain, and then you had a placebo surgery, and now your pain level is 2/3, is that subjective? If you couldn't walk before a surgery, but now you can - is that subjective? 

Uh...I'm the one saying it doesn't work on everything (and certainly can't change objective reality).

Yes, one's analysis of how much pain they are having is totally subjective. Being not able to walk (due to it being painful) is also totally subjective. People's pain tolerance differs quite a bit and it stands to reason this is most likely due to the psychological aspects of pain that differs from person to person. It's not something *magical*, it's something psychological.

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You know what's really funny. If I did the same thing you've just done. I'd have mods all over me. This shows me what kind of person you really are. 

What?

You said something like how all the positive thinkers have made this thread depressing.

I replied that that was debatable.

And then I went on to talk about the thread - the same thread that you had just mentioned.

And then I thanked you!

Are you actually moaning about me thanking you?

This is actually very relevant question in a thread about positive thinking.

19 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Uh...I'm the one saying it doesn't work on everything (and certainly can't change objective reality).

Yes, one's analysis of how much pain they are having is totally subjective. Being not able to walk (due to it being painful) is also totally subjective. People's pain tolerance differs quite a bit and it stands to reason this is most likely due to the psychological aspects of pain that differs from person to person. It's not something *magical*, it's something psychological.

Indeed, it is psychological.

The power of positive thoughts over the incapacitating, narrow mindedness, and the harmfulness of negative thoughts.

At least thats my opinion on the matter.

As this thread is being used as a vessel for personal harassment between certain members, I'm closing this down.

To those responsible - and you know who you are - enough is enough.

Closed.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked