Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hurricane Irma aims at Florida, Carribean

Colt Storm

20 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Any predictions on the turn, east, central or west?

If the damn thing is as big as they say... how much difference would that even make?

• Like 2

I just found out our friends in St. Thomas are safe and their house was not damaged. A little water came into their basement is all. :)

• Like 7

"The chance of direct impacts is increasing in portions of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina," the NHC says, "but it is too early to specify the magnitude and location of the impacts."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/07/549121378/hurricane-irma-blasts-past-puerto-rico-with-180-mph-winds-risk-rises-for-florida

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wes4747 said:

Any predictions on the turn, east, central or west?

The eye wall will hit Florida and then collapse.

Then the downgrading will start : CAT 3......CAT 2......CAT 1

• Like 1

500,000 under evacuation order, roads packed jammed

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/metro-miami-wary-eye-mammoth-hurricane-irma-49673122

The race to flee Hurricane Irma became a marathon nightmare for many as more than a half-million people were ordered to leave South Florida on Thursday.

With the storm barreling toward the tip of Florida for perhaps a catastrophic blow this weekend, normally quick trips turned into daylong journeys on crowded highways amid a constant search for gasoline and lodging. Airline seats out of Florida were in short supply as well.

Mari and Neal Michaud loaded their two children and dog into their small sport-utility vehicle and left their home near Cocoa Beach about 10 a.m., bound for an impromptu vacation in Washington, D.C. Using a phone app and calls to search for fuel along the way, they finally arrived at a convenience store that had gasoline nearly five hours later.

The 60-mile trip up Interstate 95 should have taken an hour, said Mari Michaud.

"There was no gas and it's gridlock. People are stranded on the sides of the highway," she said.

• Like 3

Irma is shifting west a bit.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/forecast-shifts-west-for-hurricane-irma-as-decision-on-south/article_8c493c32-9371-11e7-a119-fb3bb9d6d988.html

Jose is now a strong category 3 and is practically following in the footsteps of Irma with a currently small depression known as Lee right behind that. Katia is stalled in the Gulf, but is likely to head towards Mexico City. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Irma is shifting west a bit.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/forecast-shifts-west-for-hurricane-irma-as-decision-on-south/article_8c493c32-9371-11e7-a119-fb3bb9d6d988.html

Jose is now a strong category 3 and is practically following in the footsteps of Irma with a currently small depression known as Lee right behind that. Katia is stalled in the Gulf, but is likely to head towards Mexico City. 

Irma downgraded to CAT 2 when it hits Orlando, Florida. -- Sept. 8,2017

Fox News

Irma2.PNG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CeresExpo2000 said:

Irma downgraded to CAT 2 when it hits Orlando, Florida. -- Sept. 8,2017

Fox News

Irma2.PNG

Its normal that hurrians CAT´s lower after the landfill, so whats the message here?

Edited by toast

2 minutes ago, toast said:

Its normal that hurrians CAT´s lower after the landfill, so whats the message here?

The TV networks are covering their rear ends.

2 days ago there was a CAT 3 over Orlando.

Today we have CAT 2..................stay tuned.

It looks like 45MPH winds over Georgia. Tropical Storm???

• Like 1

Hey, 12:43 PM Friday September 8,2017............CAT 1 over Orlando, FL (Disneyworld).

Fox News Updates!

Irma 4.PNG

Edited by CeresExpo2000

On 9/6/2017 at 0:07 PM, RavenHawk said:

That is a good point.  Has anyone ever wondered why the islands of the three main groups (as well as Florida, the Gulf, and the East Cost) are shaped the way they are?  10s and 100s of thousands of years of hurricanes the size of Irma and larger have carved these shapes.  That kind a blows the Anthropomorphic Climate Change theory.

Except, you're almost completely wrong. You have it backwards. Hurricanes did not carve these shapes, the shapes allow the Hurricanes to plow through the Caribbean sea without hitting landfall and losing speed.

The islands and most of the gulf are formed from the movements of the Tectonic Plates. The Cocos plate in the Pacific is pushing in northeast on the Caribbean and Panama plate forming the shape of southern middle America. The Caribbean plate is being pushed eastward due to a thick section of the South American plate. Another part of the South American plate is being pushed beneath the Caribbean plate casing the active volcanoes in the area. At the same time the North American Plate is pushing west on the Caribbean plate.  All of this pushing and pulling formed the arc shape of the Caribbean islands.

Florida was formed along what is now northwest Africa about 530 million years ago. It was then wedged between Gondwanaland and North America when they combined to form Pangea. When Pangea began to break up, Florida remained behind with North America. Florida remained submerged beneath the ocean and limestone begin to build up. As the Appalachian Mountains eroded, sand and clay were deposited over Florida's limestone layer. For most of this time, Florida has been under water. As glaciers expanded and melted, the Florida peninsula emerged and submerged. When the sea level was lowest, Florida's west coastline was probably 100 miles further out. When the sea level was at it's highest Florida was just a few islands. The formation of the Florida Keys occurred when coral created a 150-mile long chain of underwater coral reefs. As the landmass of southern Florida began its rise, the reefs also began to emerge. The Florida peninsula is the emergent portion of the Florida Platform.

I guess that kind of blows the anti-science.

• Like 3

18Z GFS model slightly shifted West

Might mean better for Miami but worse for Tampa

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_8.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_10.png

Now 1.4 million under evacuation orders

http://wsvn.com/news/local/irma-takes-dead-aim-at-florida-1-4m-people-ordered-to-flee/

MIAMI (AP) — Irma weakened slightly Friday but remained a dangerous and deadly hurricane taking direct aim at Florida, threatening to march along the peninsula’s spine and deliver a blow the state hasn’t seen in more than a decade.

Irma was a Category 4 storm with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (240 kph) and is forecast to remain at that strength when it comes ashore someplace south of Miami on Sunday. The storm killed at least 20 people in the Caribbean and left thousands homeless as it devastated small islands in its path.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott urged people in coastal and low-lying areas to heed evacuation orders. Across Florida and Georgia, about 1.4 million people were ordered to leave their homes, clogging interstates as far away as Atlanta.

• Like 1

People all over the south are opening up their homes and churches are providing shelter for people who have had to evacuated. I wish I had more information how to find them. I know Bristol Speedway has offered their camping area for free. Airbnb has a lot of free listings too. If anyone needs a safe haven let me know and I'll see what I can do. 

My heart is with you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Odin11 said:

Except, you're almost completely wrong.

Sigh!  The pabulum quaffers never learn.

You have it backwards. Hurricanes did not carve these shapes, the shapes allow the Hurricanes to plow through the Caribbean sea without hitting landfall and losing speed.

Firstly, I’ve dropped your description of the tectonic history.  It looks fairly accurate.  The tectonics provides the basic shapes but hurricanes sculptured the features we see now.  When you pit terrain vs hurricane over hundreds of thousands of years, the terrain loses.  In other words, the terrain may slow down the progression of the cane but it’s the Bermuda high that controls its path.  Hurricanes are going to continue to pound away at the terrain and continue to erode the land.

I guess that kind of blows the anti-science.

You seem to be the one ignoring science and parroting a political ideology.

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

Firstly, I’ve dropped your description of the tectonic history.  It looks fairly accurate.  The tectonics provides the basic shapes but hurricanes sculptured the features we see now.  When you pit terrain vs hurricane over hundreds of thousands of years, the terrain loses.  In other words, the terrain may slow down the progression of the cane but it’s the Bermuda high that controls its path.  Hurricanes are going to continue to pound away at the terrain and continue to erode the land.

I find it funny that you're trying to tell a person with a degree in geology how you think the islands of the Caribbean where formed. It's cute. The islands are made up of some of the hardest rock types on earth, hurricane shaping is superficial at best. Plus I never said it wasn't the Bermuda high that controls its path, but that the path just happens to be between the islands and the main land.   

You seem to be the one ignoring science and parroting a political ideology.

You actually believe this don't you. I'm not the one ignoring the vast majority of science on climate change. But go ahead and keep believing the people being paid by oil and coal companies. Projection at its best.

• Like 2

The US Virgin Islands have been devastated and are pleading for help.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/after-irma-in-the-u-s-virgin-islands-everything-is-gone/

The British Virgin Islands have also been hit hard. Irma is wreaking havoc on the northern coast of Cuba and heading to the US. They are saying the storm will strengthen as she heads over open, warm water on her way to Florida. The CAT keeps going up and down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/09/us/hurricane-irma-florida.html?mwrsm=Facebook

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Watching the Weather Channel live and the winds are already strong in Ft. Lauderdale. Bands of rain are coming through, but not steady rain yet. They want everyone evacuated by noon today. The police will be pulled off the roads when the winds reach 40 mph.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, susieice said:

The US Virgin Islands have been devastated and are pleading for help.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/after-irma-in-the-u-s-virgin-islands-everything-is-gone/

Umm..... surely they've had hurricanes of this magnitude many times before ? Why are they suddenly devastated ? What has changed ?