Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The first new type of chocolate for 80 years

seeder

Some good news at last!!

'The first new type of chocolate for 80 years': Swiss confectionery firm reveals naturally pink, FRUIT-flavoured chocolate called 'Ruby'

The chocolate, unveiled today, looks pink naturally and tastes like berries
    It's the world's fourth type of chocolate, after dark, milk and white chocolate
    Swiss firm Barry Callebaut invented the chocolate after a decade of research
    Consumers can expect to buy them in six to 18 months, according to the firm

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4853868/Fruit-flavoured-pink-chocolate-Ruby-invented.html#ixzz4rqSWFqtF

• Like 4

Some may like it. To me, it's about as uninteresting as would be a new tea that tastes like coffee.

• Like 3

If it's pink and tastes like berries, what exactly makes it chocolate?

• Like 2

Part of me really wants to try it, however the other part of me knows it's going to be $$$

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Part of me really wants to try it, however the other part of me knows it's going to be $$$

Ruby Chocolate...for Ruby!!

• Like 1

Just now, seeder said:

Ruby Chocolate...for Ruby!!

I saw it and thought hey it has my dogs name on it, lol it's a sign I need to try it :lol: There's a company here called Case that sells Bobcat machines etc and I joke it's got my name on it. Many pubs have Coopers name on them, but that's because he was named after the beer

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Its still made from coca beans, the Ruby colored ones

Mr Smit told MailOnline that though ruby cocoa beans could be found in different parts of the world, Barry Callebaut is the only company that has been able to turn them into chocolate bars through a sophisticated process.

Edited by seeder

56 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

the trick there is Ruby, you put in on your birthday or xmas wish list

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

the trick there is Ruby, you put in on your birthday or xmas wish list

Ohh there's an idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Probably flavored white chocolate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Probably flavored white chocolate.

Nope. Its made from the Pink cocoa bean

Said to have an “intense sensorial delight” the sweet treat offers a “totally new taste experience, which is not bitter, milky or sweet.”

And, by unlocking the attributes of the ruby cocoa bean over the course of several years, its flavours and colouring are entirely natural with no berries or berry flavour added.

“Ruby chocolate is very different and clever stuff. It’s refreshing and has a light, creamy texture,” chocolate expert and editor of industry bible Kennedy’s Confection Angus Kennedy said

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/swiss-scientists-ruby-chocolate-new-flavour-barry-callebaut-a7930046.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Blech.

I can see it now, pink chocolate cappuccino.

• Like 1

How dare they violate chocolate like that?!?! pink and taste like berries...yeah go ahead and call that chocolate all you want... Like when vegetarians try to convince everybody that their soy burgers taste as good as the real thing. Pure bs.

• Like 2

Don't see how they are violating anything. If it's made from a different sort of cocoa bean, it's just a different sort of chocolate. Bet it costs a lot more than conventional chocolate but will be keen to give it a try. Very fond of chocolate myself, but unadulterated dark. Don't like it in any other form, like soft centres etc.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Because all chocolate starts out the same- from the cocoa beans. They are then fermented, roasted, and blown apart into their separate components, and then blended back together in the proportions that make them dark, milk, and white chocolate. White chocolate technically isn't really chocolate because it has no cocoa solids, but we still call it chocolate anyway.

There are four main types of cultivars used to produce cocoa beans, forastero, criollo, trinitario, and nacional. The claim by the company seems to be that Ruby is a cultivar that isn't one of those four. There are definitely many lesser cultivars of cocoa, and I have to wonder which one they are using, if it is a cultivar that is really named Ruby... or if perhaps they are using something like CNN-51, and the company name they chose for it is Ruby. CNN-51 is a cocoa developed in the 80/90's that has a blood red pod, but it's taste fell flat initially- however some chocolate makers have figured out in the last few years some different processing methods with it to change/improve it's flavor profile.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Trenix said:

These on shelves yet? Anyone know where I could buy some?

Read the OP, the information is right there in the first post :tu:

• Like 1

I can take or leave chocolate and much prefer other desserts, when I have a dessert. However, I am always willing to try a new food and would like to try this at some point. 

If you don't try new things it can get pretty boring at meal time. This was the rule when we raised our boy: he did not have to eat anything he did not like, but he did have to try everything. Now he's a regular "foodie" lol. I know too many people whose children grew up on nothing but pizza and macaroni and cheese. They wouldn't think of eating a green salad much less a dish of calamari (which is hardly that exotic). They not only risk poor health from a bad diet, they are missing out on one of life's great pleasures and that's a shame when we live in a world where you can have Italian one night, Thai the next, Indian, Chinese and even good old Southern Cooking.

So bring on the pink chocolate!

• Like 3

Just where are they getting these exotic cocoa beans from.  I hope it doesn't mean more homeless and hungry orangutans?

• Like 2

Hehee.......... I'm curious :P

• Like 1

On Tuesday, September 05, 2017 at 11:13 PM, Klownzilla said:

How dare they violate chocolate like that?!?! pink and taste like berries...yeah go ahead and call that chocolate all you want... Like when vegetarians try to convince everybody that their soy burgers taste as good as the real thing. Pure bs.

If this is your biggest outrage in life, be happy. 

:)

• Like 1

no cacau/cocoa no chocolate, just like a burguer without meat isn´t a burger. 
Having wrote that I do not question it´s quality or flavor.

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 1