Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bengal tiger gunned down

Myles

Bummer ending, although understandable.  

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/09/06/bengal-tiger-gunned-down-in-suburbs.html

Georgia cops went big game hunting on Wednesday — when they shot and killed a Bengal tiger after it almost made a homeowner’s dog lunch, authorities said.

The wild ordeal unfolded after at least two people called 911 to report the big cat lurking near a ramp on I-75 North and a home near the Atlanta suburb of Stockbridge about 6 a.m., Henry County Police Department Capt. Joey Smith told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Cops alerted animal control officers after spotting the beast, but there wasn’t any time to wait for those authorities to arrive when it suddenly went for a dog in someone’s back yard.

• Like 4

I don't know which would be worse, that the cat escaped the zoo without being reported to police or that some civilian had it as a privately owned pet.  Thank God no one was mauled by the thing.  How awful that would have been.  Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the needless loss of the cat also.  Poor thing was just being the PREDATOR that it is.  If it was someone's pet, they should be made an example of for the public to see.  What a waste.  :angry:

• Like 7

Good point.  I know one thing for sure.  If that ever happened to one of my dogs, the cop that did it would pay a heavy price, even if it took me years to bring about.  Killing an attacking dog like a Rotty or trained Pit is one thing but shooting a dog that couldn't really hurt them, just out of annoyance, would be a REAL mistake if it was mine.

• Like 2

They should have shot those that were responsible for her safekeeping. If she hadn't got out, she'd still be alive....all be it performing in a circus..

26 minutes ago, Boozemonkey said:

They should have shot those that were responsible for her safekeeping. If she hadn't got out, she'd still be alive....all be it performing in a circus..

That would be stupid.    Crap happens.    Someone screwed up by probably not locking a door adequately.   I wouldn't kill them for it.   I'm sure they lost there job.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ozfactor said:

They shot a tiger dead to protect a dog , I didn't know dogs were an endangered species .

they could have tranquilized the tiger.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

they could have tranquilized the tiger.

Tranquilizers don't work like they do in the movies.  While I'm too lazy to search deep enough to find out I did find that it takes at least 10 minutes for a tranquilizer to work on a lion and a Bengal tiger is approximately the same size.

Even then there is the issue that most places don't happen to carry the correct tranquilizers for big cats, the equipment to use it, or a person with the knowledge on how much to use so the tiger wouldnt die from an over dose.

Realistically while it's unfortunate the only real viable option was to kill the tiger unless you consider keeping it in sight while largely unable to do anything if it attacks anyone for potentially an hour or more while all the needed equipment is gathered, including the tranquilizer, and a person who knows the correct dosage is found as viable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozfactor said:

They shot a tiger dead to protect a dog , I didn't know dogs were an endangered species .

Is the endangered part that crucial.   The dog was a member of a family.   The tiger was going to kill it.  

• Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 9:44 AM, Myles said:

Is the endangered part that crucial.   The dog was a member of a family.   The tiger was going to kill it.  

I don't know about your family but no one in my family is a dog , but I do have pet dogs 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

I don't know about your family but no one in my family is a dog , but I do have pet dogs 

Yeah... same here. 

Pets should not have the status of a replacement for a child, even if that's what they are in practice. Kinda creeps me out, in fact.

And... I think the Cops were wrong in this case at any rate.

#1 - the Tiger is indeed endangered, and far more valuable.

#2 - the Tiger would have been busy with it's meal for a while, giving Animal Control time to find a way to control the situation.

3# - and this is a biggie;  Standard Police-issue weapons are not designed to bring down an 800-pound predator. 

The potential for disaster was tremendous, one of the Cops could have been maimed or killed, possible all of them. A 9mm pistol isn't really adequate to bring down a Deer, I shake my head wondering how many were fired into this Tiger before it stopped being a threat, let alone dead. 

What a mess.... 

• Like 1

I feel bad for the giant kitten. Poor guy. Doing what nature selected him to do, joining the circus, leaving the circus, and getting shot trying to hunt and eat food the only way he knew how. At least he died the way he wanted to...

On 08/09/2017 at 10:29 PM, Myles said:

That would be stupid.    Crap happens.    Someone screwed up by probably not locking a door adequately.   I wouldn't kill them for it.   I'm sure they lost there job.  

He lost his stripes.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 2:12 AM, AnchorSteam said:

And... I think the Cops were wrong in this case at any rate.

#1 - the Tiger is indeed endangered, and far more valuable.

I disagree.   The animals value isn't a concern for me.   Local police should not allow the tiger to eat peoples pets.   Do they need to also find out if the pet is a rare breed.   Maybe it would trump the tiger.   

I would be upset if the tiger was just roaming and wasn't actively trying to kill someones dog.   

• Like 1

On 10/09/2017 at 6:12 PM, Kurzweil said:

I feel bad for the giant kitten. Poor guy. Doing what nature selected him to do, joining the circus, leaving the circus, and getting shot trying to hunt and eat food the only way he knew how. At least he died the way he wanted to...

You sure the tiger wouldn't have wanted to die another way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

You sure the tiger wouldn't have wanted to die another way.

Don't get me wrong. I think he should have held out until his pension kicked in.

• Like 2

Just now, Kurzweil said:

Don't get me wrong. I think he should have held out until his pension kicked in.

or at least died in bed with a smile on his face.

• Like 1