Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are We Living in a Computer Simulation?

Unusual Tournament

1 minute ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Careful!! I wouldn't be that surprised if he turns out to be a religion a couple of thousands years from now. :o  ;)  

A couple of thousand years from now? I take it you don't religiously purchase the latest iPhone.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, Aquila King said:

Heresy! We all know who the real messiah is:

1330483645.jpg

Careful!! I wouldn't be that surprised if he turns out to be a religion a couple of thousands years from now. :o  ;)  

I wouldn't be surprised this guy turns out to be a religion a just a couple years from now:

trumpjes.jpg

(I'm curious as to whether the mods on this site have any implicit bias.

Go ahead and bring this post down too so you can prove my point.)

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:
3 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

A couple of thousand years from now? I take it you don't religiously purchase the latest iPhone.

You take it correctly. ;)  :D   

Plus, my iphone5 was a gift. 

25 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I wouldn't be surprised this guy turns out to be a religion a just a couple years from now:

trumpjes.jpg

(I'm curious as to whether the mods on this site have any implicit bias.

Go ahead and bring this post down too so you can prove my point.)

I was going to say a few things, plus put some gifs to add to the points. Then I read your 'in fine print' two sentences, and I'll just .............................. plead the fifth! *looks nervously left and right* 

:o  

*Runs immediately out of thread in stark fear for her life!!!!*

• Like 2

*Runs right back in to worship this lady!!!*

giphy.gif

NO! Wait! 

200.gif

No, even worse!!! :o   

64DDk.gif

Ok, much better! :D  

How ya guys like my little world??? :wacko:  :w00t:  :sk

• Like 3

Ya see why I am in denial of the rest!! ;)  :tu:  

11 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

You take it correctly. ;)  :D   

Plus, my iphone5 was a gift. 

I was going to say a few things, plus put some gifs to add to the points. Then I read your 'in fine print' two sentences, and I'll just .............................. plead the fifth! *looks nervously left and right* 

:o  

*Runs immediately out of thread in stark fear for her life!!!!*

QUICKLY! CHANGE THE SUBJECT!! :o

addtext_com_MTM0NjA5NTUxNzg.jpg

• Like 3

On 2017-09-07 at 7:26 PM, XenoFish said:

The developer had budget constraints.:lol:

That's one of the most gnostic statement I have read here in a while.

Edited by Be.cause

• 2 months later...

Microcosmic God, by Theodore Sturgeon, is an interesting take on the topic.

On 08/09/2017 at 1:12 PM, Aquila King said:

Heresy! We all know who the real messiah is:

1330483645.jpg

It is interesting how different some people's lives are despite living in the same world. I had to google this image to find out who the guy was. 

But then  I've never been an apple man, and it has a lower penetration into our local area due to historical factors such as the opposition being the only computer system sold to schools and businesses  for   the first two decades  of  widespread commercial computing.

On 2017-09-07 at 2:11 PM, I'mConvinced said:

It's as possible as the existence of a God.

Not really. There are rational arguments for that we might be in a simulation. We exist and we create increasingly advanced simulations. The fact that we exist and that there are countless planets in the universe makes it likely that also other civilizations that create simulations exist. Simulated beings inside of a simulation could also create new simulations. In other words, there could be countless simulations, and then it would be much more likely that we are in one if those than in the real world. However, there are no rational arguments for the existence of a God.

3 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

However, there are no rational arguments for the existence of a God.

I disagree, it is completely rational to consider the existence of a God. It is irrational to discount something that can neither be proven nor disproven.

Take this statement for example:

Everything that exists outside of our universe is God.

Until you can disprove the above statement, definitively, it would be illogical to discount it is a possibility.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

I disagree, it is completely rational to consider the existence of a God. It is irrational to discount something that can neither be proven nor disproven.

Take this statement for example:

Everything that exists outside of our universe is God.

Until you can disprove the above statement, definitively, it would be illogical to discount it is a possibility.

For a given definition of God (and not the one in the Old or New Testaments) ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Essan said:

For a given definition of God (and not the one in the Old or New Testaments) ;) 

This is why I'm careful not to define God :D.

• Like 2

On 18/11/2017 at 9:01 PM, fred_mc said:

Not really. There are rational arguments for that we might be in a simulation. We exist and we create increasingly advanced simulations. The fact that we exist and that there are countless planets in the universe makes it likely that also other civilizations that create simulations exist. Simulated beings inside of a simulation could also create new simulations. In other words, there could be countless simulations, and then it would be much more likely that we are in one if those than in the real world. However, there are no rational arguments for the existence of a God.

As per a couple of the preceding posts, human gods are conceptual attachments we give to either real or imagined beings. Humans would almost certainly label the being who constructed any simulation we are in as a god, because of its powers and abilities   That would make it a god to humans. Thus, any rational argument for such a simulation is also a rational argument for such a god  (The being who constructed the simulation) 

Edited by Mr Walker