Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saving your pet’s life in a natural disaster

Still Waters

As residents of southern Florida prepare for Hurricane Irma, many are including four-legged family members in their plans.

Even with the best plans, though, pets can get lost in the chaos of a natural disaster. Animal rescue organizations like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals see an uptick in lost animals after storms because some pets get scared and run away.

Others hide in places where their owners can’t find or reach them and, in the confusion of an evacuation, get left behind. Still other families evacuate without their pets, either because they haven’t made arrangements to take their pets or they don’t think they can.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/09/hurricane-irma-harvey-pets-video/

I can not even go to the article, my pets come first. May sound a touch harsh, but I can read articles about people enduring the hardship, but when it comes to pets, it breaks my heart. 

Can not watch any animal suffering.  :mellow:

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I can not even go to the article, my pets come first. May sound a touch harsh, but I can read articles about people enduring the hardship, but when it comes to pets, it breaks my heart. 

Can not watch any animal suffering.  :mellow:

Same here. I often find my self thinking about it and sometimes i get so far in my toughts that i get a bit afraid.

I mean, human suffering do get me i have feelings of course but animals suffering, that really really gets me. Am i crazy or such empathy is because of picturing that animals are more helpless than people are?

Seeing dog with injured leg is way more stresfull for me than anything else. Even seeing my father and how he often walks with pain, being shot in his leg and all, feeling about it doesn't even come close to injured dog and i love my father so much. This is way beyond me.

• Like 1

Just make sure you're protected when helping an animal that's in pain.  I had a rottweiler mutt as a teenager that had his foot caught painfully in a chain-link fence he tried to hop and he bit a few holes in my arm while I was getting him loose since no one else was around to help unless I left him there to suffer for a few more minutes. 

I think you may have the wrong idea about the article. It contains a video filmed inside an animal shelter in Texas, the vet is giving advice on what measures pet owners should take to help ensure their animal's safety. You can see the shelter houses pet containers/cages, there are dogs in some of the cages, they look clean and well cared for. The shelter looks to be doing a grand job of looking after the animals while trying to locate their owners. At the end of the video it even shows a man and his family collecting their dog.

• Like 1