Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trio claim to have filmed a Tasmanian tiger

Still Waters

A TEAM of Tasmanian thylacine trackers has released footage of what they believe is proof a population of thylacines continues to live in the island state.

The series of images and videos, taken at a secret location in southern Tasmania, are being touted as the most reliable evidence that Tasmanian tigers still exist.

An expert in Tasmanian wildlife has assessed the videos, and rated the possibility that thylacines still exist as “perhaps a one in three chance”.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/new-footage-fuels-long-futile-hunt-for-tasmanian-tiger/news-story/f20bbe3080a8426cf39bbe44d65acec2

• Like 8

It's good to see that they are trying.   They set up many cameras around a perimeter, and then moved them to cover more area. 

• Like 2

Rushed here to post it as soon as I saw the article, but I was beaten! ^_^

• Like 2

Saw the video online: Inconclusive at best. If the Tiger is still out there it is a very elusive beast. I would suggest more camera traps but I hear they are pretty pricy for good ones. 

Edited by Sundew
spelling
  • Like 2

It does look unconvincing. Where's oldrover? I usually go with his views when it comes to these, he sure knows his stuff on TT's.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm rooting for the Thylacine.The images are not great but all the same, the Aussies have some awesome wildlife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Personally, I'm rooting for the Thylacine.The images are not great but all the same, the Aussies have some awesome wildlife.

Well of course, I am too, but this creature seems about as difficult to photograph as bigfoot. If it still lives, it must have a very reduced population and very low genetic viability for survival of the species. Tasmania is big, but how much truly wild land is left versus developed, farm or other human altered land?

5 hours ago, stereologist said:

Excellent I had to look up a quoll. Did not know what that animal was. I like the quoll. It's a pretty animal.

They're lovely. Devils are much cuter though. After people an dogs, probably my favourite extant animals. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, oldrover said:

By the way, tonight is the 81st anniversary of the death of the last known thylacine. 

Wow. When you think about it, there can't be many people left on the planet to have actually seen one of these animals. And the chances are they would have been very young at the time when they did.. It would be truly remarkable if any were to be found. Imagine the interest that it would generate and the crowds it would draw if held in public captivity. Serious dollarship to made on fee entrance fees.

15 minutes ago, oldrover said:

After people an dogs, probably my favourite extant animals.

I've never been a big dog lover. Don't mind 'em at all, lovely things but I do prefer cats. The air of feline mystery and stubbornness attracts me to them much more. (same with women, lol). And after the young lad a few doors down being attacked by the (usually placid) family husky this morning (after he'd just fed and taken it for a walk) which left him fairly well bandaged up after a trip to the hospital - I think I'll stick with felines. 

• Like 1

Great footage of Tasmanian devil. Looked healthy. Couldn't see the tiger though.

• Like 3

The only thing that footage reveals is the power of imagination. I didn't have to use mine to see all of the other fauna.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stiff said:

Wow. When you think about it, there can't be many people left on the planet to have actually seen one of these animals. And the chances are they would have been very young at the time when they did.. It would be truly remarkable if any were to be found

Actually, there are probably quite a few. Most as you say though would have been very young, but they are out there.And yes, if one were to be found now the amount of money it would make woulld be incredible. Much more than the £40, which was the final offer by the zoo for a tiger 'in good order' in 1937. 

• Like 1

I think the tape is interesting but not conclusive. I hope they continue filming in the area, if for no other reason to see all the other wildlife. While some stills do look like some animal staring at the camera from the bush it could also be pareidolia, like seeing shapes in clouds. 

After watching the whole video, I can't really believe that this is considered good evidence. I am going to go with those who think this may be a quoll. To me the creature in the video appear much smaller and a lot shorter then it should be if it was a thylacine. They tried putting a cutout up to show that if fits, but when I saw the two guys walking back down the trail there at the end, it seems to me that the creature in the video was to the front of that little rise, which is Much closer then the two were trying to play it to be.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

After watching the whole video, I can't really believe that this is considered good evidence. I am going to go with those who think this may be a quoll. To me the creature in the video appear much smaller and a lot shorter then it should be if it was a thylacine. They tried putting a cutout up to show that if fits, but when I saw the two guys walking back down the trail there at the end, it seems to me that the creature in the video was to the front of that little rise, which is Much closer then the two were trying to play it to be.

I agree. I'm not even sure what point of showing us the nose poking up. It could have been a number of things. My guess is they are running out of funds and felt they needed to get "something" out there to try and generate interest. And to be honest, it worked. I am interested.

• Like 1

I watched thinking they had actually caught something on cam for a change. But surprise. Out of focus, barely crossing the camera. This is so foolish and these guys are simply preying on the gullible. What surprised me even more are the amount of people here who are actually excited over this. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up and should have known that these two fools didn't get a thing. The evidence is as concrete as the evidence for bigfoot.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx

18 hours ago, Boozemonkey said:

Great footage of Tasmanian devil. Looked healthy. Couldn't see the tiger though.

You sure it was a Devil?  I didn't see any whirling around in a mini tornado or hear any grumbling you can't understand until the last few words.

• Like 4

The Animal in the footage certainly had a long thick tail, ( like a tigers). More cameras around we might see something more sharper. Closer?

now that would be great.

I'm not even sure that we can see an animal in the spot that they say they see a Tasmanian tiger... the thing passing in front of the camera can be anything at this range...

The devil is cool and the bird on LSD too.

Edited by Jon the frog

It's maybe better that video is not clear and that many will believe it ain't true so the area will be relieved of new 'Tasmanian tiger tourism'. Hopefully, as a result, we can hope that animal will have time, if it really did survive somehow.

It makes me sad, especially when i see pictures with all those 'blue blooded' hunters who show them as trophies. Hunting is sadistic if one doesn't hunt for food.

• Like 1