Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Catalonia independence bid

The Caspian Hare

34 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

No, Black Monk, it is NOT a fact. Or if it IS, then you have not demonstrated it, despite having ample opportunity to do so. 

I don't know how it works in Manchester, but here in the 21st Century, we have this thing called the Scientific Method, and the concept of "proof" , and.. gosh.. electricity and stuff

:D 

Sorry... that was unfair. 

ANYWAY.. how does all of this relate to Catelonia ? 

And a single tap for both hot and cold water. 

Sorry, couldn't resist as well! 

But seriously, if you want to talk about Scotland and SNP, could you do it in a dedicated thread? 

Just now, Parsec said:

And a single tap for both hot and cold water. 

Continental innovations. <_<

• Like 1

Anyway, it makes one grateful for good old British moderation, doesn't it. Not even D. Cameron threatened to send thousands of riot police armed with machine guns to storm Holyrood and arrest the entire leadership of the SNP for daring to even wish to hold a referendum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Anyway, it makes one grateful for good old British moderation, doesn't it. Not even D. Cameron threatened to send thousands of riot police armed with machine guns to storm Holyrood and arrest the entire leadership of the SNP for daring to even wish to hold a referendum.

Spain was a military dictatorship up until the death of Franco in 1975, and then we could say Democracy then took a period of transition. so say 1978-1980. So here we are  roughly 38 years later, old habits die hard. If Catalonia gain independence how long before the Basque region follow? 

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Lets remember this behavior whenever negotiations about Gibraltar come up. :(

Actually that's one thing I was thinking; what's always a good way to distract the attention of The People from discontent? To deflect their attention by, for instance, suddenly pushing Gibraltar to the top of the agenda. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do begin to start making noises in that direction again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Actually that's one thing I was thinking; what's always a good way to distract the attention of The People from discontent? To deflect their attention by, for instance, suddenly pushing Gibraltar to the top of the agenda. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do begin to start making noises in that direction again.

I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but I see what you mean.

I think one thing's for sure; the heavy-handed policing of Catelonia during this referendum will certainly weigh on the minds of Gibralterans.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the event came and went ... no comments?

Out of a possible 5.3 million votes, 2,262,424 were cast & survived to be counted, for about 42%. That would have been much higher, but over 770,000 ballots were seized and destroyed by Spanish Police & ParaMilitary forces.

2,202,144 voted in favor of Independence, that's 90%.

The Madrid Govt reacted by putting hundreds of people in the Hospital and arresting Catalonian political leaders, both in and out of office. 

Soon, it's just gonna get even nastier ...

There's another thread about it over here --> Catalonia vote

The President, or Would-Be President, what's his name, Puigdemont, seems to have put a Declaration of Independence on hold for the moment, it's what always happens, they're all talk but always come to some accommodation.

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Let Catalons free. Period.

What are the consequences?

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

What are the consequences?

Well, whole range of these. Depends on how the rest of the world will see it, and - most importantly - how will deal with that.