Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 10
Aquila King

Does Real Magic Actually Exist?

177 posts in this topic

 
Spoiler

 

mag·ic
ˈmajik/  
noun
noun: magic
  1. 1.
    the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.
    "do you believe in magic?"
    synonyms: sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, black magic, the black arts, voodoo, hoodoo, mojo, shamanism; More
    charm, hex, spell, jinx;
    pixie dust, fairy dust
    "do you believe in magic?"
    • mysterious tricks, such as making things disappear and appear again, performed as entertainment.
      synonyms: conjuring tricks, sleight of hand, legerdemain, illusion, prestidigitation
      "he does magic at children's parties"
    • a quality that makes something seem removed from everyday life, especially in a way that gives delight.
      "the magic of the theater"
      synonyms: allure, attraction, excitement, fascination, charm, glamour
      "the magic of the stage"
    • informal
      something that has a delightfully unusual quality.
      "their seaside town is pure magic"
adjective
adjective: magic
  1. 1.
    used in magic or working by magic; having or apparently having supernatural powers.
    "a magic wand"
    synonyms: supernatural, enchanted, occult
    "a magic spell"
    • very effective in producing results, especially desired ones.
      "confidence is the magic ingredient needed to spark recovery"
  2. 2.
    informal
    wonderful; exciting.
    "what a magic moment"
    synonyms: fascinating, captivating, charming, glamorous, magical, enchanting, entrancing, spellbinding, magnetic, irresistible, hypnotic More
    "a magic place"
    marvelous, wonderful, excellent, admirable;
    informalterrific, fabulous, brilliant
    "we were magic together"
verb
verb: magic; 3rd person present: magics; past tense: magicked; past participle: magicked; gerund or present participle: magicking
  1. 1.
    move, change, or create by or as if by magic.
    "he must have been magicked out of the car at the precise second it exploded"
Origin
late Middle English (also in the sense ‘a magical procedure’): from Old French magique, from Latin magicus (adjective), late Latin magica (noun), from Greek magikē (tekhnē ) ‘(art of) a magus’: magi were regarded as magicians.
 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
magic (adj.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
late 14c., from Old French magique, from Latin magicus "magic, magical," from Greek magikos, from magike (see magic (n.)). Magic carpet first attested 1816. Magic Marker (1951) is a registered trademark (U.S.) by Speedry Products, Inc., Richmond Hill, N.Y. Magic lantern "optical instrument whereby a magnified image is thrown upon a wall or screen" is 1690s, from Modern Latin laterna magica.
magic (v.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
1906, from magic (n.).
magic (n.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "art of influencing events and producing marvels using hidden natural forces," from Old French magique "magic, magical," from Late Latin magice "sorcery, magic," from Greek magike (presumably with tekhne "art"), fem. of magikos "magical," from magos "one of the members of the learned and priestly class," from Old Persian magush, which is possibly from PIE root *magh- "to be able, have power."

Transferred sense of "legerdemain, optical illusion, etc." is from 1811. Displaced Old English wiccecræft (see witch); also drycræft, from dry "magician," from Irish drui "priest, magician" (see druid).

 

 
Now, it doesn't matter what you call it, it's gone by many names. For the sake of simplicity, I'll just call it 'Magic'.
 
What I'm referring to is some sort of mysterious energy or force that exists, that has the power to influence or possibly completely warp reality in accordance with the user's will.
 
I'm personally very interested in this topic, as in my personal opinion if there is something spiritual that exists in the universe, then it isn't that much of a stretch for magic to (possibly) exist as well. ;)
 
And if magic does exist, what is it? And how does it work? What resources are available out there? What do we need to learn or do to practice such a craft?
 
Your thoughts? ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The creation and configuration of matter through will and belief falls in the category of magic. The two most common magical phenomena are "NDEs" and telekinesis. To understand such phenomena, one has to understand the deep nature of reality, which requires understanding metaphysics. More specifically, it requires understanding the relationship between mind and matter.

Our habit of reductive materialism when it comes to understanding the mind is something that will have to be let go if we are to progress our understanding of such phenomena. If humanity continues to advance as a species, I'm sure we'll eventually get there 

 

Edited by OntarioSquatch
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

well you can not get more informed on this subject than the above link.

OP, please read the OP in the above link, i think you will find all you need to know.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Aquila King said:
 
 
Your thoughts? ^_^

I believe there is something real going on involving the subtle planes of nature in some of this. A myriad of entities exist in these subtle realms/planes and are sometimes involved with these phenomena. Forces not understood to science exist on these planes also.

Edited by papageorge1
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aquila King said:
 
  Hide contents

 

mag·ic
ˈmajik/  
noun
noun: magic
  1. 1.
    the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.
    "do you believe in magic?"
    synonyms: sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, black magic, the black arts, voodoo, hoodoo, mojo, shamanism; More
    charm, hex, spell, jinx;
    pixie dust, fairy dust
    "do you believe in magic?"
    • mysterious tricks, such as making things disappear and appear again, performed as entertainment.
      synonyms: conjuring tricks, sleight of hand, legerdemain, illusion, prestidigitation
      "he does magic at children's parties"
    • a quality that makes something seem removed from everyday life, especially in a way that gives delight.
      "the magic of the theater"
      synonyms: allure, attraction, excitement, fascination, charm, glamour
      "the magic of the stage"
    • informal
      something that has a delightfully unusual quality.
      "their seaside town is pure magic"
adjective
adjective: magic
  1. 1.
    used in magic or working by magic; having or apparently having supernatural powers.
    "a magic wand"
    synonyms: supernatural, enchanted, occult
    "a magic spell"
    • very effective in producing results, especially desired ones.
      "confidence is the magic ingredient needed to spark recovery"
  2. 2.
    informal
    wonderful; exciting.
    "what a magic moment"
    synonyms: fascinating, captivating, charming, glamorous, magical, enchanting, entrancing, spellbinding, magnetic, irresistible, hypnotic More
    "a magic place"
    marvelous, wonderful, excellent, admirable;
    informalterrific, fabulous, brilliant
    "we were magic together"
verb
verb: magic; 3rd person present: magics; past tense: magicked; past participle: magicked; gerund or present participle: magicking
  1. 1.
    move, change, or create by or as if by magic.
    "he must have been magicked out of the car at the precise second it exploded"
Origin
 
late Middle English (also in the sense ‘a magical procedure’): from Old French magique, from Latin magicus (adjective), late Latin magica (noun), from Greek magikē (tekhnē ) ‘(art of) a magus’: magi were regarded as magicians.
 
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
magic (adj.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
late 14c., from Old French magique, from Latin magicus "magic, magical," from Greek magikos, from magike (see magic (n.)). Magic carpet first attested 1816. Magic Marker (1951) is a registered trademark (U.S.) by Speedry Products, Inc., Richmond Hill, N.Y. Magic lantern "optical instrument whereby a magnified image is thrown upon a wall or screen" is 1690s, from Modern Latin laterna magica.
magic (v.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
1906, from magic (n.).
magic (n.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "art of influencing events and producing marvels using hidden natural forces," from Old French magique "magic, magical," from Late Latin magice "sorcery, magic," from Greek magike (presumably with tekhne "art"), fem. of magikos "magical," from magos "one of the members of the learned and priestly class," from Old Persian magush, which is possibly from PIE root *magh- "to be able, have power."

Transferred sense of "legerdemain, optical illusion, etc." is from 1811. Displaced Old English wiccecræft (see witch); also drycræft, from dry "magician," from Irish drui "priest, magician" (see druid).

 

 
Now, it doesn't matter what you call it, it's gone by many names. For the sake of simplicity, I'll just call it 'Magic'.
 
What I'm referring to is some sort of mysterious energy or force that exists, that has the power to influence or possibly completely warp reality in accordance with the user's will.
 
I'm personally very interested in this topic, as in my personal opinion if there is something spiritual that exists in the universe, then it isn't that much of a stretch for magic to (possibly) exist as well. ;)
 
And if magic does exist, what is it? And how does it work? What resources are available out there? What do we need to learn or do to practice such a craft?
 
Your thoughts? ^_^

98b46b87fbc122bcf393270902b9e02b.jpg

If you haven't read my link then I'll go over what really goes on. Magick works two ways. Through any intentional action and/or a change in mindset. Or How you perceive the world around you. That aspect has a lot to do with confirmation bias. The intentional act aspect is when you do something with purpose. Fat guy/gal get's thin. Dumb kid becomes smart. All through volitional effort. The typical magick we see around here is wishful thinking. The law of attraction is a perfect example of this. People visualize, think positive, and wish really really hard, nothing happens. You can create a placebo effect using rituals as they are designed to created a highly suggestive state. Self-hypnosis in other words. Though the effects of such are limited to the self.

While it would be nice to literally think and grow rich, that just doesn't happen. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

88231ac14915d5ac5e2f4d55955791a7.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

No proof,evidences or even hints (to my knowledge) exists regarding that.

Edited by godnodog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

98b46b87fbc122bcf393270902b9e02b.jpg

If you haven't read my link then I'll go over what really goes on. Magick works two ways. Through any intentional action and/or a change in mindset. Or How you perceive the world around you. That aspect has a lot to do with confirmation bias. The intentional act aspect is when you do something with purpose. Fat guy/gal get's thin. Dumb kid becomes smart. All through volitional effort. The typical magick we see around here is wishful thinking. The law of attraction is a perfect example of this. People visualize, think positive, and wish really really hard, nothing happens. You can create a placebo effect using rituals as they are designed to created a highly suggestive state. Self-hypnosis in other words. Though the effects of such are limited to the self.

While it would be nice to literally think and grow rich, that just doesn't happen. 

Lol, I'm not here to necessarily defend magick as legitimate, I've just been looking into it lately as a genuine possibility. :P I'm open to it in other words and am looking for multiple opinions. I knew you'd chime in Xeno, and I do appreciate your insight on the matter. ;) Especially since you say you've practiced the occult for years, whereas I'm just a newbie. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, I'm not here to necessarily defend magick as legitimate, I've just been looking into it lately as a genuine possibility. :P I'm open to it in other words and am looking for multiple opinions. I knew you'd chime in Xeno, and I do appreciate your insight on the matter. ;) Especially since you say you've practiced the occult for years, whereas I'm just a newbie. :D

The "power" in magick is the idea it gives you. If it creates a subconscious motivation, your actions, thoughts, feelings, and perspective shift towards whatever desire you've placed in your deep mind. This is 'real' magick. I've never seen any of it work hollywood style.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The "power" in magick is the idea it gives you. If it creates a subconscious motivation, your actions, thoughts, feelings, and perspective shift towards whatever desire you've placed in your deep mind. This is 'real' magick. I've never seen any of it work hollywood style.

:huh: So, magic like we see in the movies isn't real?...

Spoiler

addtext_com_MTcwOTQ3MTMyMTE4.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aquila King said:

:huh: So, magic like we see in the movies isn't real?...

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

No.

According to you... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

According to you... ;)

How much experience do you have? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, XenoFish said:

How much experience do you have? 

:mellow: ...I'll answer that the same way I did on my last job application...

I'm willing to learn. :wacko:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aquila King said:

:mellow: ...I'll answer that the same way I did on my last job application...

I'm willing to learn. :wacko:

Then I promise you that it works but not in the flashy Hollywood way. Saying a few words then "poof" you got what you wanted. That does not exist in the real world. All it amount to self-help techniques with a bit of theatrics. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like it to be but Iv never seen anything that leads me to believe magic is real 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Then I promise you that it works but not in the flashy Hollywood way. Saying a few words then "poof" you got what you wanted. That does not exist in the real world. All it amount to self-help techniques with a bit of theatrics. 

I'll keep that in mind. :tu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Technology is magic. Wearing or emcompassing a device that manipulate another object such as a remote control...that's real magic. No doubt in the future, humans will be able to do all sorts of things without visibly witnessing any movement or physical devices from the person. Even the idea of manipulating dark energy through the advances of science has been speculated from physicists for years.

Edited by NightScreams
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, I'm not here to necessarily defend magick as legitimate, I've just been looking into it lately as a genuine possibility. :P I'm open to it in other words and am looking for multiple opinions. I knew you'd chime in Xeno, and I do appreciate your insight on the matter. ;) Especially since you say you've practiced the occult for years, whereas I'm just a newbie. :D

I was going to answer along lines that might interest you  but due to the way you specifically defined the terms of your question, I have to say - no.  (eg the Crowley stuff mentioned in relation to the above response, is of a different order and also includes natural processes and developments of hidden but natural potentials

But not  just  " some sort of mysterious energy or force that exists, that has the power to influence or possibly completely warp reality in accordance with the user's will.  "  And even that, as a partial aim  ( that is to be able to wield some power that changes reality ... doesn't really 'warp' reality ... if I get what you mean by that term.

I practised ritual magic for some years, was an occultist for much longer , in the western tradition , and studied it' from the  armchair' for many years, and many branches.  Also studied its historical development Also, in regarding other traditions I have studied (and experienced in the field) many cultures view and practices on it, from the field of Cultural Anthropology , all my life.

If the question is can natural things be revealed that may be hidden via magic, yes.

If the question is ,  is there a 'magical power' that can be used that is changing 'external reality '  itself  (note , not your perception of external reality ) that is not 'psychologically generated ' (placebo effect ) my experience says no.

Crowley, on this issue, declared , we do not know .

In the old days ( before the Modern Scientific Revolution ), the answer was a resounding yes.  What Crowley did was give magic a 'medium of operation' via  psychology (a new science in his time )  within the mind set formed after the scientific revolution .  Some say he thus destroyed the true nature of magic .

So, no magic 'reality warping' stuff    IMO.

besides !  They are of the nature of siddhis !   And they should not be the focus or aim of magical practice !  Siddhis will lead you of the path - badly .

 

Beware occult newbie .... beware   !

Image result for scorcerers apprentice fantasia gif

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But aside from 'warping reality to my will'   , the other aims of magic I practised were fulfilled, remarkably !  It did wonders for me  (as they say  ;)  )

There might have been one or two rituals where the aims where 'strangely fulfilled ' , but cant be sure it was some 'magical effect'. could have been placebo effect, psychological or coincidence .  Some people though might fail 20 times, get 'success' once and go ;  " It works !  "

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magic is the consequence/ outcome of technologies so far in advance of ours that the results of them APPEAR to us as magical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, back to earth said:

But aside from 'warping reality to my will'   , the other aims of magic I practised were fulfilled, remarkably !  It did wonders for me  (as they say  ;)  )

There might have been one or two rituals where the aims where 'strangely fulfilled ' , but cant be sure it was some 'magical effect'. could have been placebo effect, psychological or coincidence .  Some people though might fail 20 times, get 'success' once and go ;  " It works !  "

 

I think all of us fell to that when we started out. Even people who've been at it for years still do. You really need a critical eye to properly practice magick. Being a skeptic/agnostic about the whole thing. As a means of self-development, it can be pretty good. Just depends on the school of thought you follow. 

One of the main problems with using magick for materialistic aims is that you run out of wants. Eventually you'll find that as you develop yourself you'll be more able to naturally obtain what you want. Through the medium of your actions. I'd say that my "practice" is a mix between what I learned in the book Think and Grow Rich, and the works of Austin Osman Spare. Which lead me to the simple model Intention + Action = Results. It's also what I have a deep interest in the power of an idea and the placebo effect. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I guess it's gonna depend on what you think magick is. If you think it's like Harry Potter, then no. 

The person you affect is yourself. Certain things happen if you affect your psyche in particular ways. 

There are nifty things that can be conjured up, and they can be experienced by others around you, but it's not a good idea to get stuck there. It's a trap. 

High magick is supposed to be about working on the self, shedding the ego, connecting to your higher self, reaching full potential, discovering your True Will, etc. It's not about getting even with your ex or winning the lottery.

Edited by ChaosRose
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 10

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.