Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is it spirituality vs skepticism?

rodentraiser

9 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Why can't a person be both spiritual and skeptical? After all, being spiritual doesn't necessarily mean you have to be religious. Being  a spiritual person can mean you respect other people and nature and try to be a good person. That in no way contradicts the fact that you can also be skeptical of things like aliens and Bigfoot at the same time.

Good call. The title of the section doesn't  really make much sense 'Spirituality vs. Skepticism'. They are not things in competition with each other. I am an open-minded skeptic and believe in an evidence-based spirituality. 

I think what happened in recent usage is that the term 'skepticism' has been hijacked by an atheist-materialist collection of people that are not even really skeptics when the term is properly applied, but just no-holds-barred defenders of their ideology. These people are really masquerading under the respectable practice of skepticism. It  is really 'Spirituality versus Pseudo-skepticism' that we see.

• Like 5

Why can't a person be both spiritual and skeptical?

I manage it. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Good call. The title of the section doesn't  really make much sense 'Spirituality vs. Skepticism'. They are not things in competition with each other. I am an open-minded skeptic and believe in an evidence-based spirituality. 

I think what happened in recent usage is that the term 'skepticism' has been hijacked by an atheist-materialist collection of people that are not even really skeptics when the term is properly applied, but just no-holds-barred defenders of their ideology. These people are really masquerading under the respectable practice of skepticism. It  is really 'Spirituality versus Pseudo-skepticism' that we see.

Yet you can not present any of this "evidence". Truly a spokesman for spiritual. And you're hardly a skeptic. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

So you're saying that some atheists are like that or all of them are like that?

I'm an atheist, and I'm also a fan of ghost hunting. My skepticism is such that while I would love to believe in ghosts, I'm not sure I would unless one walked up and offered to shake my hand. And maybe not even then. But that doesn't keep me from trying to find out more about them, real or not.

Hmmm...I wonder if I should start a thread titled "Atheism vs Spirituality - why can't they be the same thing?".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Because there is a line between fact and fiction. 

OK, so back up this post. Which one is which?

• Like 1

Just now, rodentraiser said:

OK, so back up this post. Which one is which?

Spirituality is fantasy. It's for those with some kind of emotional need. Same goes for believing in ghost, demons, bigfoot, and the loch ness monster. 

• Like 4

You can be spiritual and skeptical. It's hard to pull off being religious and skeptical, though. Dogma doesn't really allow for it. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The title of the section doesn't  really make much sense 'Spirituality vs. Skepticism'.

Sure it does if you read the descriptions of the 2 sections

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs is a place for a friendlier discussion on religion and spirituality

Spirituality vs Skepticism is a section geared for debate between skeptics and believers and tends to be more confrontational.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Why can't a person be both spiritual and skeptical? After all, being spiritual doesn't necessarily mean you have to be religious. Being  a spiritual person can mean you respect other people and nature and try to be a good person. That in no way contradicts the fact that you can also be skeptical of things like aliens and Bigfoot at the same time.

Spirituality vs Skepticism is a forum for a discussion on religion and spirituality. Aliens and cryptos have their own forums.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I agree.  I would like to be more spiritual than I am; if I can even define such a thing....but I am certainly skeptical - and for what i personally consider very good reasons.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Spirituality is fantasy. It's for those with some kind of emotional need. Same goes for believing in ghost, demons, bigfoot, and the loch ness monster. 

How do you define spirituality?   If spirituality is expressed in acceptance with one's place in the universe and an attempt to be at peace with all things, then it's certainly no fantasy and it's an emotional benefit rather than need IMHO.  There are plenty of people who are not peaceful, not content, not satisfied, not thankful....and they don't seem very happy as a result.  So, I'll take the criticism of being needy if it makes me a better person, every time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

64604856.jpg

• Like 4

Spirituality is just a form of emotional compensation. If it floats your boat, that doesn't mean I will agree. There really isn't anything to believe in anyway. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

So you're saying that some atheists are like that or all of them are like that?

I'm an atheist, and I'm also a fan of ghost hunting. My skepticism is such that while I would love to believe in ghosts, I'm not sure I would unless one walked up and offered to shake my hand. And maybe not even then. But that doesn't keep me from trying to find out more about them, real or not.

Hmmm...I wonder if I should start a thread titled "Atheism vs Spirituality - why can't they be the same thing?".

I guess I would need to hear your definition of spirituality then. The debate is often in the definition.

No, atheists by definition are not necessarily non-spiritual. What I was referring to was the recent misuse of the word 'skeptic' by those who are really just attackers and not open-minded investigators (pseudo-skepticism).

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

What I was referring to was the recent misuse of the word 'skeptic' by those who are really just attackers and not open-minded investigators (pseudo-skepticism).

There is only so many times you can look into a b.s. story. So it's easy to say it's b.s. without effort.

16 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Spirituality vs Skepticism is a section geared for debate between skeptics and believers and tends to be more confrontational.

No biggie at all just that it seems to assume that skeptics are non-believers. Skepticism is an approach not a position. But let's not bogged down on that. I get what is intended.

Why can't a person be both spiritual and skeptical?

who's saying people can't be both?

Edited by Dejarma

I'm closed minded.

Which is the key to opening my mind.

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I'm closed minded.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

• Like 7

That is, in itself,completely true.

I'm an 'apatheist' that doesn't care about the 'God question'. Having said that, I cannot begrudge others, their beliefs.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I'm closed minded.

maybe you'll open your mind when you feel good reason to do so..... i take you haven't found good reason to yet?;)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I'm closed minded.

Which is contrapuntal..

• Like 1

I guess technically you could be so open-minded that your're completely closed-minded to anything closed-minded.

Did I just create a temporal paradox? :wacko:

• Like 2