Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DA: Derailers Anonymous Thread

Aquila King

At my course one group had a cat come in for grooming that day, poor thing had to be sedated first 

• Like 1

I'll share something personal, but a lot of my friends in the Ancient Mysteries forum (my usual haunt) know this about me already, as do my Mod colleagues.

My kidneys largely shut down last November and I spent eight days in the hospital. I started dialysis almost immediately, while admitted. To do this they put a permacath in my chest. It looked pretty much exactly like the tubes coming out of this woman's chest. That was mod-November. Because the catheter behind my chest wall went straight to my heart, I was not allowed to get it wet. It stayed in my chest till June, when they put a smaller catheter into my abdomen. So between November 2016 and June 2017, I was not allowed to shower!

All I could do was give myself sponge baths. Let me tell you, no matter how hard you scrub, a sponge bath is not the same. I never truly felt clean. I hated it! But the exterior portion of the abdominal catheter can get wet, so I tend to take looooong hot showers now. It's like a little slice of heaven. I now do dialysis at home. In fact, I'm doing it right now as I type this. I'll stay hooked to the machine on its wheeled cart till the morning.

A long way to go just to share the old cliche: you won't miss it till it's gone! For me that was something as simple as a shower. enjoy life, take nothing for granted, take care of yourselves.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Really? That bad, huh? Some cats actually enjoy water...but I haven't met one. I only see them on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8q0KVNMfI

I've seen some loving it on YouTube, my sisters cat Maggie does.

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'll share something personal, but a lot of my friends in the Ancient Mysteries forum (my usual haunt) know this about me already, as do my Mod colleagues.

My kidneys largely shut down last November and I spent eight days in the hospital. I started dialysis almost immediately, while admitted. To do this they put a permacath in my chest. It looked pretty much exactly like the tubes coming out of this woman's chest. That was mod-November. Because the catheter behind my chest wall went straight to my heart, I was not allowed to get it wet. It stayed in my chest till June, when they put a smaller catheter into my abdomen. So between November 2016 and June 2017, I was not allowed to shower!

All I could do was give myself sponge baths. Let me tell you, no matter how hard you scrub, a sponge bath is not the same. I never truly felt clean. I hated it! But the exterior portion of the abdominal catheter can get wet, so I tend to take looooong hot showers now. It's like a little slice of heaven. I now do dialysis at home. In fact, I'm doing it right now as I type this. I'll stay hooked to the machine on its wheeled cart till the morning.

A long way to go just to share the old cliche: you won't miss it till it's gone! For me that was something as simple as a shower. enjoy life, take nothing for granted, take care of yourselves.

I remember you posting about it, glad to still have you here.

When I first did my knee couldn't get bandage wet, sponge baths feel horrible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Just curious, kmt, what caused your kidneys to shut down? 

A mix of diabetes and hypertension. Both are stable now. Well, stabler.

• Like 2

There’s cats in this game. 

New South Park game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

I...

I remember you posting about it, glad to still have you here.

When I first did my knee couldn't get bandage wet, sponge baths feel horrible.

You know what I'm saying, then. I'd trade you my knee for one of your kidneys, but truth be told my knees aren't so great. I was honorably discharged from the Army because of them.

I'm a freakin' mess. Oh, I found a recent photo of me:

033f1317cad448669c69fb84097552ed.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Thank you for sharing that kmt. I'm glad you're still with us buddy. That story really puts life into perspective, and is incredibly inspiring. So again, thank you.

• Like 3

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

You know what I'm saying, then. I'd trade you my knee for one of your kidneys, but truth be told my knees aren't so great. I was honorably discharged from the Army because of them.

I'm a freakin' mess. Oh, I found a recent photo of me:

033f1317cad448669c69fb84097552ed.jpg

That’s why dads brother had to leave army to knee problems. 

In a heart beat I’d donate one 

• Like 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

Thank you for sharing that kmt. I'm glad you're still with us buddy. That story really puts life into perspective, and is incredibly inspiring. So again, thank you.

You;re welcome. And thanks for your kind words.

• Like 1

That’s one of the things I love about UM is we become like a family and support each other 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

That’s why dads brother had to leave army to knee problems. 

In a heart beat I’d donate one 

LOL A workmate's teenage daughter offered me one of her kidneys. I'd known her since she was a little girl, but I told her she should keep them.

I sympathisze with your dad's brother. I was a combat medic in a mechanized infantry unit. It would be a tad inconvenient to race across a battlefield to tend to the injured, when all of a sudden one's knee locked up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

LOL A workmate's teenage daughter offered me one of her kidneys. I'd known her since she was a little girl, but I told her she should keep them.

I sympathisze with your dad's brother. I was a combat medic in a mechanized infantry unit. It would be a tad inconvenient to race across a battlefield to tend to the injured, when all of a sudden one's knee locked up.

Not sure what he was, he did go on to become part of the police force in New South Wales 

• Like 1

Just now, Ruby04 said:

That’s one of the things I love about UM is we become like a family and support each other 

I've been on forums for years, but It's always been sorta, distant, between users. It's not like that here. It's like we can just be ourselves, like the computer screen's not even there between us. I really do feel part of a family. So thank you guys for that. Seriously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I've been on forums for years, but It's always been sorta, distant, between users. It's not like that here. It's like we can just be ourselves, like the computer screen's not even there between us. I really do feel part of a family. So thank you guys for that. Seriously.

You’ve become like a brother to me :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

btw kmt, just wanna say thank you for your service.

You're welcome. Glad to do it.:D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

As you've learned from personal experience at UM, not all sections are so easy-going. It can get downright aggressive sometimes, especially when stubborn egos conflict. I avoid certain sections of UM because of this and tend to post in them only if I need to moderate something.

But this thread is different. We regulars all seem to click. We have similar senses of humor. I think I can speak for others when I say, I look forward to posting in this thread every day.

• Like 3

aw-u-guys-made-me-ink-.jpg  Inside thing with my sisters and 4 of my nieces, any time one of us says something heart warming or makes us tear up from what they said in a good way we say this.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked